• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5 or 4.5 RE????

well are you looking for something more street oriented or will it be seeing a decent amount of trail time? For me, my BDS kit has really stiff suspension, I like that, combined with the backspaced wide tires it makes for a VERY solid ride, though its a bit rough (I think I can feel anything from about a penny up? :laugh:). It feels more stable than when I had stock suspension even if it is lifted a significant amount. I could get a set of softer shocks for a bit smoother street ride but thats not what I am looking for.. "ride quality" is very different from person to person, so you need to be a bit more specific as to what your looking for.

Are you getting a kit from RE or piecing one together yourself and buying springs, shocks, etc seperate?

You'll want to go bigger eventually, so you mind as well just start with something larger. You'll spend more money in the long run if you constantly go bigger. I know I did, but it's also a fun, priceless learning process :)

basiclly i want the best of both world. What is considered the best shock that you can put on your xj. by the way i plan on getting a RE 3.5 superflex with full leafs for those who have asked.

I just ordered the 3.5" superflex as well.
Did some research, and decided to get the RE Monotube shocks. Those got pretty high reviews as being a good riding shock. JeepinOutfitters has a good deal with the superflex kit and discounted monotubes, and also free shipping.

Others to look at would be the OME shocks, or top level Bilsteins.

Well if you are able to throw the money around you could get a set of adjustable shocks. :D

As for particular shocks all I have experience with are stockers, the stock replacements my buddy got from sears, and my BDS shocks, so I will let someone else field that one. I got lucky and my kit came with shocks, all for 900 or so when I bought it, now the kits up to 1050 I think. But hey, no questions asked lifetime warrenty on everything but shocks and steering stabilizers. I'm not complaining. Good luck and enjoy!

I have a question and haven't been able to find the answer using the search. Can I fit 35s under my 91 XJ with a RE 4.5 lift, fender trimming and bushwacker flares? I want to use it as a DD but have some real off road credibility. Rubicon and Moab eventually.

The 4.5" comes with the trackbar and uca's. its a more complete kit.

I hate to steal the OP's thunder away, but i feel my post belongs in this thread.

Ive been debating for a long time what RE lift to go with.

Either of the 3.5's or the 4.5 superflex.

Right now my Jeep is a daily driver. I would like to keep it my daily driver. My goal is to have it be the ultimate dual purpose vehicle. Eventually i want to take it to Moab, and stretch it to the limits, and be able to drive home.

I assumed the 4.5 was best for me, but again im debating.

FWIW, i have never "truely" been offroading as a group, or really by myself. Ive gone up some service trails, but thats about it. Id like to change that though.

Go big now instead of getting the 3.5 and then in a few months wish you had more lift! it's only an inch bigger and a more complete kit, don't sell yourself short and get something you don't want. JMO I started with a 2 inch then a 4.5 now a 6... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!!!

Go big now instead of getting the 3.5 and then in a few months wish you had more lift! it's only an inch bigger and a more complete kit, don't sell yourself short and get something you don't want. JMO I started with a 2 inch then a 4.5 now a 6... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!!!!

X2

its not necessarily the size that i see as an advantage, its just the fact that it is much more complete. if you want 3.5" im sure you could order the 4.5" and just get the 3.5" coils and not install the supplied shackle. i thought about that when i got mine but just went with the straight 4.5" kit. its what, $300-400 more than the 3.5''? IMO its totally worth the extra money. i would also recommend the upgrades available since its a DD.

Remember guys, he has young kids and I can say from experience that lifting car seats in and out of a really tall truck can suck. For my wife at 5'6", it's near impossible.

Some may say it's only an extra inch but that extra inch usually leads to bigger tires too and they will add another inch or 2. If one of your main concerns is trail performance, not just looks, I have seen many an XJ with small lifts out 'wheel others with 6"+ just on driving skill and picking a good line alone.

So I say go with what fits your current needs best right now and upgrade later when those needs change.

double post

Sorry for the big Pic

Last edited:
I just put a 4.5 on my jeep with 31's. I have a 2 and 4 year old and its not really that bad getting them in and out. I could do it all over again, I would not change anything (maybe bigger tires but the 31's were free)

100_1890.jpg

That looks to be just the right amount of lift. Thanks for the pic. Cute kids!

Thanks, The kids love the Jeep as much as I do.

basiclly i want the best of both world. What is considered the best shock that you can put on your xj. by the way i plan on getting a RE 3.5 superflex with full leafs for those who have asked.

R.E. 3.5 is actually 4+ish. With trimming and bumpstops 32's work.

R.E. kits tend to be butt high. A .75 spacer in front will level it and give a little more front tire clearance.(rear of wheelwell)

Steering will be less affected also.

I have R.E. shocks and wish I had OME's

I have an 11 month old and my DD is an XJ with rusty's 9" long arm lift and 35's. My wife is 5.3' and her DD is a YJ with a spring over and 3" body lift which is 8-9 inch lift and 35's as well. Pretty much comes down to what you want to put up with. Some times she complains but there's no way she'll sell her beloved Jeep. We did have to get a cheap car when she was pregnant though, at about 7 months she couldn't take the rough ride anymore.

Back