• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

The rear planetary gearset, the output shaft, maybe more. I don't know if the rear ring gear is the toyota or Jeep version.

The rear planetary gearset, the output shaft, maybe more. I don't know if the rear ring gear is the toyota or Jeep version.
Thank you! I'm currently researching all this and I am planning on getting a few A340's and aw4 21 and 23 splines to tear apart and see what all can be swapped from the "TT supra A340E". Im thinking the TT auto is stronger then the NA auto because of the Extra clutch packs as well as the Valve body solenoids. They activate linearly allowing more precise control of the transmission. The Na auto's solenoids as well as the AW4's are just on/off.
From looking at diagrams it seems that the A340E in the NA supra (and other vehicles) is what the AW4 is based off of. ITP makes rebuild kits for the A340E/AW4 and there 3rd gear clutch pack holds 6 disks. "Making for a 50% increase in third gear holding capability." Did you by any chance use their parts on your rebuild? or was it oem stuff?

Internals are being dictated by the input and output shafts for the most part, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. If you are wanting to put Supra parts throughout the AW4, that may get tricky, because of the extra solenoid in the casing that the AW4 does not have. The engine it is being mounted to will dictate the bellhousing and TC, and those will dictate the input shaft length. I.E. if you are running an AW4 behind a 4.0L, you are going to need the AW4 components at least to just behind the pump... If you wanted to hook up the A340e to the 4.0L, I think you will need the Lexus GS300 bellhousing and TC, plus the wiring is different. I think there were 12 wires going to control the AW4 from the external TCU, while the Toyota ECU controls everything internally and has something like 6 or 8 MORE wires going to the A340e. I do not know specifics, since all I did was change the output setup so all I need to do is plug my engine/transmission combo straight into my stock Jeep transfer case. Only wiring going on there (trans-wise) is one speed sensor, and I may be able to skip that anyway, since there is a "back-up" sensor in the trans itself.

I believe all the Turbo Supras are 23 spline. Dunno about the n/a version.
The A340e DEFINITELY has more 3rd gear clutches, and you can get clutch disks that are dual-sided and thinner to add more torque capacity. You'll also need to modify the valve body to increase the line pressure, further increasing TC.

Also, be careful with those exploded diagrams... the views in the AW4 book and the A340E book showed identical parts (like the output shafts), but they are in reality, slightly different, and that difference was a big deal.

PaintedCamcover.jpg

Now all I can see is that I need black socket-head cap screws instead of those dirty grey ones holding down the cam sprocket/timing belt/c-o-p cover, lol.

:)
That's fresh rtv all the way around that rear main housing, cause I did just that the first time. I was concerned that I should get another seal after doing that, but the "re-installation" still required the rubber mallet, so I'm confident it's still plenty tight. :)

Absolutely beautiful work

Started working on the "centerpiece" today. Runners 3 and 4 are going to form a DNA helix, complete with inner connecting rods..."bonds" I think they are technically called. As of this morning I was able to get 1 bond in before class. I'm thinking 3-6, we'll see what fits. Well, that's the current plan, anyway. :) We'll see how this works out. I am doing this without being totally sure I'll be able to use these for the middle runners. I play poker, too, lol.

Helix1.jpg

Helix2.jpg

Helix3.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

yea you must be doing your work at some backyard hack fab establishment with those rides in the background.... two gt-rs and a mark iii supra..

They look better in motion:

SW's Mark IV record holding Supra@ The Texas Mile-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goLxBwAYAjU&feature=related

Roberto's Black GTR we are (still) building (his was the first)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1MenXBpvc

Only vid I could find of Zohair's red GTR is they one they made with the FIRST prototype tips I made on it. The tips are much more refined now :)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNLmvYW_o0M&feature=related

The shop Supra-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDn70FtCpjs&feature=fvwrel

As you can tell, the 2JZ is a phenomenal power plant (in the Supras, NOT in the GTRs), and given the uncanny similarities regarding piston layout and the automatic transmission that comes in the Jeep Cherokee, if I want the ultimate in reliable power, there is no other choice for me. While it's no rock crawler, given the type and size of twin-scroll turbo setup mine is getting we are expecting very quick spool with high torque that will drop off due to a lack of overall flow. One of the guys is estimating 500 RWTQ and around 300 RWHP, but I dunno about all that. We'll see soon.

If it doesn't work out as part of the manifold, that's exactly what it will be doing... sitting somewhere looking pretty. :/

Back