• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

hi,
Any write up on the hybrid A340 transmission? I am going to fabricate one too. But I am not a mechanic. Really appreciate if u can provide write up on thehybrid A340
regards

Not really. We just took an A340e and an AW4, set them side-by-side and dismantled them, then took the parts we needed from the AW4 and put them in the tail of the A340 upon reassembly. I think it was just the output shaft and the rear planetary gearset that had to be used from the AW4. Once you get them dismantled you'll see which pieces you need to swap. While you are in there you should upgrade the clutches, sprags, and valve body. My suggestion is to take a transmission class and learn the fundamentals...because transmissions are easy to f-up. Proper seal installation is crucial, and any one of several barely noticeable mistakes can and will lead to transmission failure.

Last edited:
@dpwong: You linked the thread where the Thai "Singhkik" did a similar swap... do you know if they had an intercooler? There isn't one I can see in any of the pics.

I work at Lexus so if you need anything from maintenance items (seals, plug wires, clips, belts, etc) to hard to get parts I may be able to help.

I laughed out loud when you said all the plastic and rubber is shattering. Every 2J that I've done plugs on, the wires and all associated plastic turns to dust in your hands.

...and my Jeep weighs in at about 3,404 lbs, without me in it. I can only assume that the wiki article that listed curb weight at 3050 was wrong or was referencing a 2WD version, perhaps also the "coupe", lol.

3404, geez mine must weigh 3900! Of course I threw a bunch of steel on mine.........oopsie! :D

@DanMan:
I am still in fact looking for another water pump and timing belt kit. Seen some on ebay for just under $90. Can you help there? I know the Aristo my engine is from is the equivalent of the GS300, as if you didn't already know that. :) I'd also like to get new valve stem seals, but they are freaking expensive. PM me with numbers on what you can get them for as well, if you could. Thanks!

Jeep22HybridTransmission7.jpg

I got a question, see the breather cap on the very front of the tranny body on top, Is this the same location as the AW4s? cause I've been trying to "find" mine to extend the hose for obvious reasons and can find crap after feeling around for like 10 minutes, 87 xj 4.0 aw4 clean as a whistle under there. I'm gonna take another look soon after lookin at this

3404, geez mine must weigh 3900! Of course I threw a bunch of steel on mine.........oopsie! :D

Wow guys you got some heavy jeeps! lol Mine 2dr 4wd, I weighed mine on the scrapyard scale beside the JY I go to at 3020lbs half tank fuel.

By the way, great build you got going here I too can hardly wait to see the end result. Interestingly enough I didn't know the supra wheels fit the XJ. Kinda sucks, I could had myself a cheap set myself if i knew. A guy i knew had a set in his shop before he moved and wanted only a couple hundred for them.

Wow guys you got some heavy jeeps! lol Mine 2dr 4wd, I weighed mine on the scrapyard scale beside the JY I go to at 3020lbs half tank fuel.

By the way, great build you got going here I too can hardly wait to see the end result. Interestingly enough I didn't know the supra wheels fit the XJ. Kinda sucks, I could had myself a cheap set myself if i knew. A guy i knew had a set in his shop before he moved and wanted only a couple hundred for them.

Trees and Drunk ladies like hitting my Jeeps, gotta be well prepared. I can't wait to see some video of this thing hauling some ass! :D

Trees and Drunk ladies like hitting my Jeeps, gotta be well prepared. I can't wait to see some video of this thing hauling some ass! :D

Damn straight!! especially in the winter! I'm curious to see how the front suspension will fare. There seems to be a little bit of an arch right over where the axle looks like it will go. But it also looks like a taller motor as well.

I've got the "new" turbo now. Seems to be in good shape. I'm collecting pieces for the manifold, and I just found out that I have two 3-1 collectors being donated, as well as the mitsu turbo flange I need. This is all gonna take more time of course, but I'm still shooting for the 18th of March. F'ing damn it, money is tight right now too. Things that I now have to create from NOTHING:
Exhaust manifold, motor mounts, intake piping, charge piping, power steering hoses, a/c hoses, and some sort of mounting (and protection) solution for the front mount intercooler. I also have to get the engine totally ready, and I still need to source an electric radiator fan, since the clutch-type jobber is going away. I'm gonna get as much done as I can before hand, but come the week of the 18th, it's gonna be nothing but assholes and elbows on that truck. A/C connections are likely going to have to wait till later. At the very least, I want the engine in and cleanly mounted and wired by the 20th. We'll see what actually happens, lol.

You may run into some confusion adapting the signals from the stock HVAC control panel to the 2JZ PCM but that's all I can think of. The rest is just adapting some fittings.

As long as you don't want to kick the idle up when the compressor turns on, all you need to do electrically is wire the compressor clutch to the A/C request line from the control panel via a relay and the high/low pressure switches.

Back