• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

Another interesting and FUN wiki-fact:

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Curb Weight: 3,057 lb
Twin Turbo Toyota Supra MKIV Curb Weight: 3,417 lb

Theoretically this is gonna be quick... even with just the completely stock 2J in it. (Insert evil laughter here)

Quicker off the line... dont forget you are driving a brick compared to a Supra.

Battery relocation from the front right side to the rear right side should be happening this weekend. I will document and then post accordingly. Still no word on the transmissions.

Began the process of relocating the battery to the rear of the Cherokee to make a path available for charge piping up front. I'm still waiting on the 250A marine busbar to arrive, but went ahead and ran the main power cable today.
Jeep20001.jpg

Jeep20003.jpg

Jeep20010.jpg

Jeep20012.jpg

Jeep20014.jpg

Jeep20013.jpg

Jeep20015.jpg

Jeep20016.jpg

Complete relocation of the battery. I also have good news. I spoke with my transmission friend, and he said he is 99% sure this is going to work, and also he should have the transmissions back to me in a week or so. Things are about to start speeding up now, I assure you. I'll post pics of the hybrid Jeep/Supra transmission as soon as I have it in my garage.

That's pretty nuts man! I think a 86 toyota truck would be lighter maybe not.
I like this build, you need to make a dyno video when it's done. A jeep 2500 front end conversion would be cool being in the spirit of jdm type conversions.

Dyno video will happen...most likely. Should be fine, since the pull doesn't start till around 2600-3000 rpm anyway. I feel like I need to be gentle on the axles until I upgrade them. Never heard of the 2500 conversion until now, and I gotta say that will never happen to my jeep. LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm glad I google imaged it. To me, part of what makes the Cherokees so cool is the hard, sharp lines, and that 2500 deal reminds me of a Cadillac Escalade of sorts, lol. If my wife saw that she'd call it a soccer mom suv.

I thought I'd keep updating with little mods. Ha! I mean, I'd hate to be in the middle of the swap only to discover that charge piping can't be routed because of a battery being in the way. 7 "P"s my friend, remember the 7 "P"s. Then again I could just tape the intercooler to the grill like someone else did, but who wants to see that twice, really? LOL. :) I should get the transmission this week, I hope. Then IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. So relax, I'm the one doing all the work, lol.

@XJLI: There is no Skyline, only a GTR. :)

The good news:
The hybrid transmission is done. It is built and is proven to handle 550+ to the wheels. Upgraded sprags, modified valve body, and more clutches than any Jeep has ever had.

The bad news:
The 2J's turbos are shot. The front one looks like it tried to eat something solid. I'm replacing them with a stock Evo VIII divided single turbo. This will actually be a good upgrade from the crappy stock twins anyway, as I understand. I've got to go through the entire motor. Every piece of rubber is shattering when I touch it. I already have new front and rear mains, cam seals, and valve cover gasket. I will be making an exhaust manifold for it. Purchased the new turbo this morning for $210 shipped (SWEET!). Still need to acquire a new timing belt, water pump, waste gate, blow-off valve, boost controller, and serpentine belt. I am now expecting to do the install during the middle of March.
Come on spring break.

Jeep22HybridTransmission7.jpg

that looks less like an AW4 and more like an A340 - I forget what the plan was, did he swap the XJ 4wd adapter and output shaft and stuff onto an A340 or swap all the Lexus parts onto the front of an AW4? The case looks less ribbed than I remember, the NSS and shifter arm are definitely Toyota, and the cooler line fittings don't look like stock XJ either (thank God, those things suck.)

Glad to see progress! Can't wait to see what this thing does.

It is about 90% Toyota and 10% Jeep. This is a modified A340e. The trans itself has been "built" and the valve body modified, then whatever parts were needed to get the AW4 output shaft and transfer case adapter to plug in were used. This will bolt directly up to the NP231.

...and my Jeep weighs in at about 3,404 lbs, without me in it. I can only assume that the wiki article that listed curb weight at 3050 was wrong or was referencing a 2WD version, perhaps also the "coupe", lol.

Back