• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

I think it's a cool and logical swap, but I'd have to go with the Getrag 6-speed(2wd XJ of course). I'm working on a 505 roller 4.9l at the moment(need to poke my machinist).

Yeah, that's more or less what one of the guys at the shop would do if he were me. He put a 2J in his Z car (Z31) with a compound turbo setup. It's a beast. I want mine to lose some speed but gain toughness. Both of our vehicles started out as a joke. "Dude, why don't you just put a 2J in it?" Next thing you know... 6 months later.... Ha.

Thought I'd give a quick update...

I had to drop school this semester and go to S. Carolina for 3 weeks to help my family. My father had to have spine surgery. In the ensuing chaos before I left, I was unable to get together with my guy to get the trans mod completed. I expect to be back in Austin and have the tranny done shortly after Halloween. I did however replace most of the bushings with black poly, and have now installed the HD Bilstein shocks all around (which I love). Honestly those things needed to happen before adding the new powerplant anyway. I will try to finalize all the wiring connections while I'm here in SC, and beyond that, the only other hurdle before the actual installation should be the motor mount design.

not to wander away from a sick ass build thread but your friend with the Z31 wouldn't happen to be streetfighter on z31performance.com cause that car chews peoples heads off lol. btw i noticed you were retaining the 231 t-case have you thought about using a 242 or 249 t-case to gain AWD and with tru tracs front and rear traction shouldn't be a problem at any power level you reach (well untill it breaks :doh:)

Thought I'd give a quick update...

I had to drop school this semester and go to S. Carolina for 3 weeks to help my family. My father had to have spine surgery. In the ensuing chaos before I left, I was unable to get together with my guy to get the trans mod completed. I expect to be back in Austin and have the tranny done shortly after Halloween. I did however replace most of the bushings with black poly, and have now installed the HD Bilstein shocks all around (which I love). Honestly those things needed to happen before adding the new powerplant anyway. I will try to finalize all the wiring connections while I'm here in SC, and beyond that, the only other hurdle before the actual installation should be the motor mount design.

Sorry to hear about your dad. What part of SC are they in? Looking foward to seeing this done.

haha that guy has no shoes on. Great build! gotta love those 2jz's. im trying to get a 4bt just because i would like to run it for almost free. :passgas:

@ DITA: Yes, that's the one. :) I will be looking at the transfer case swap in the future, but for now, it's just gonna go to the 231. Everything else after should just be a relatively simple swap, maybe a little more wiring. I'm still trying to decide what route to take regarding the axles. Many have expressed concern with the D35, but every instance I can find of them breaking on youtube is a jeep in a high torque application running larger than stock diameter tires... both of which are situations I'm not necessarily in. I hear the d44 is a power robbing monster as well. If chromoly kits in the d30 and d35 will cut it, then sweet. I guess only time will tell. Engine/tranny first. :)

@Ghost: Greenville, SC

@dpwong: NIIICE. I sent Singhkik an email with a couple of questions, hopefully he can answer them. I'm surprised how far forward the engine is, since the 2J is shorter than the 4.0... interesting. I presume it has something to do with The Thai running a manual gear box, as opposed to the auto. Also, is there an IC in there somewhere? Whatever the answers, sweet on him. I think I'll still have the first/only one in the Western Hemisphere... :) I wonder if a magazine would be interested in that? CRAP. Gonna need some rhino-liner and tint too then. HA!

I just noticed dpwong has been a member for 6 years now and this is his first post. :)

I would not put chromoly in a d35. Simply not worth the cost, won't upgrade the carrier/spider gears/ring and pinion/housing at all and you can probably equal the reliability improvement with a 100 dollar bolt-in junkyard 29sp 8.25.

Agreed on doing the engine and tranny first though.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a noob at some of this. Kastein, you are referring to a FORD 8.25", correct? Does that change the axle length at all? For some reason I think the Ford axle is a little shorter. The supra rims clear by about an inch and a quarter on each side of the leaf springs.

Nope, Chrysler 8.25". Early 90s through 95 are all 27 spline and *roughly* on par with a d35 axle shaft wise but stronger in every other way; 97 through 01 are all 29 spline and closer to d44 or Ford 8.8 grade. 96 ones are 27 or 29 and you can only find out by pulling a shaft and counting splines. They came in many XJs without ABS from 91 or 92 through 01, you want one from a 97-01. They bolt right in as long as you get new U-bolts and take the U-bolt plates from the donor vehicle, normally you would have to worry about getting the driveshaft length right too but I think you're going to be modifying that anyways so it shouldn't be a worry for you for some time yet.

Hmmm... no, I didn't plan on modifying the drive shaft lengths anytime soon, since I'm just changing the engine and tranny. Everything from the transfer case back is stock. I have a 96 XJ, and just to clarify, you are referring to the Chrysler 8.25 when you said "96 ones are 27 or 29 and you can only find out by pulling a shaft and counting splines.", correct?

Yep, that is correct.

I figured you were planning on moving the transfer case as well, since it bolts to the transmission and engine - always figured the engine and transmission were harder to shoehorn in, so they would dictate the rest. If you can get away with mounting the transfer case in the stock location (it actually bolts to the transmission 4wd adapter housing, so technically you would be mounting that in the stock location) all you have to do is pull the rear driveshaft from the vehicle donating the axle, so long as it has the same engine and transmission as your vehicle, is 4WD, and is made in 96 or later (due to the transfer case output housing / slip yoke design changing.)

Exact reasoning:
You want a 29 spline 8.25 and a driveshaft to fit - so, you need a donor from 96.5 or later (slip yoke design and axleshaft spline count) with the 8.25 axle. It needs to be from a 4.0/AW-4 equipped vehicle with 4WD (NP231 vs 242 does not matter.) So find a 97 or later 4.0/AW4/4WD vehicle and yank the driveshaft, axle, and u-bolt plates. If you aren't regearing your vehicle to perform best with the new engine, you should double check the gears in your front d30 axle (probably 3.55s) and make sure the 8.25 has the same.

You can skip any junkyard vehicle with ABS, as they all have d35s. No ABS doesn't guarantee an 8.25 though so you need to double check to make sure.

Wow great post kastein. That is good info. I had a post cooking, then backed out of it... I even had "dictate" in mine IRT installed powertrain location & driveline #s. :cheers: Sir!

I'd maybe not overlook a Explorer (limited v8?) Ford 8.8" with 4.10, limited slip, and discs. A hair narrower than XJ and needs the springpads relocated.

kastein when i grow up i want to be just like you lol go the 8.25 route there are guys selling them cheap on here an there plentiful the dana 35 is just crap housing sucks R&P sucks tubes suck really there isn't a redeeming feature about it to quote a friend of mine building a dana 35 is like pissing on a electric fence :scared:

Since the rear of the engine bolts to the tranny, and the Supra tranny and Jeep tranny are almost identical (the cases are the same, internals a little different), I expect fitting the 4wd housing and bolting to the 231 SHOULD give me the exact same distances as the stock Jeep components... with the possible exception that the bell housings could be different lengths end to end. I believe I measured this before and they are the same, but as I'm typing this I feel I should do it again to confirm. The bell housing on the toyota trans has J1 cast into it, as opposed to the Lexus version that has a J3. I would have needed the lexus bellhousing and torque converter if I was mating the 2J to the Jeep AW4... hmmm... I really need to take another look at that. If the Jeep and toyota bell housings I have are in fact the same, then I'll just have extra space up front (hence my curiosity as to why the Thai's swap has the engine so far forward).
If anyone has a separated jeep AW4 bell housing they can measure that would be more accurate, otherwise I'll do my best to get a good measurement from the truck itself. I can have one of the guys at the shop get the separated measurement from one of the ten toyota bell housings on the shelf. This is important. Can't have the back of the engine crashing in to the bulkhead/firewall during the install, now can we?

I have one... but it is sitting in my parts stash over a thousand miles from where I am right now :(

Yeah, I would worry about the engine bashing into the firewall, or alternatively, the engine bashing into the fans/radiator/crossmember. Neither is good, and depending on the length of the 2J (this is where I know absolutely nothing) you may have to slide the tranny and transfer case forward or back a bit to shoehorn everything in.

As for wanting to grow up like me... careful what you ask for :roflmao: I just memorize tech info fairly well when I feel like it. My general goal is to learn as much as I possibly can about every feature of the XJ on every year. Still working on that, and every time I look stuff up I realize how much I have left to learn.

I do know that the 2J is a few inches shorter in length than the AMC 4.0. I'm honestly kinda hoping that the 2J's bell housing is just a little bit longer than the Jeep's... gimme a day or so, and I'll have some hard measurements, I just know it. :)

Alright, it looks like the 2J bellhousing is approx. 5.45" in length, and from my awkward measurement on the Jeep I'm gonna call the Jeep bellhousing at 6", a difference of approximately a half an inch. There is enough room behind the 4.0 and the bulkhead to spare a half inch, but I don't yet know if that will apply to the 2J. I'll better be able to tell when I get home. I may just need to switch the 2J to the Lexus bellhousing and torque converter.

Back