• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

Check the input shaft (all 2-3 of them) diameters and lengths and spline counts, wouldn't want to screw that up only to discover it won't work upon starting. Also check the transmission fluid pump gear pattern - it's two notches cut into the neck of the torque converter on a Jeep AW4 which mesh with the pump gear, I'm not sure what it is on an A340.

The Lexus converter and bellhousing will bolt up to the 30-40le no problem. We are only going to swap out the hard parts that we have to from the back forward to get the jeep output shaft from the 30-43le into the toyota 30-40le, so all shafts will mate with their original receivers... so we'll probably have a supra transmission with jeep output shaft and rear planetary gear set... maybe clutch packs and sprags too. Sprags and clutches will be upgraded during the trans operation as well.
At least that is the plan.

Update: Both the AW4 (30-43le) and the Supra (30-40le) transmissions are in the hands of a master transmission tech... on his own spare time though, so no rush... he's hooking me up. I am taking an Automatic Transmission and Transaxle course as part of my curriculum this spring though, so I plan on being able to make the conversion in the future. This of course is assuming it works. I found another thread on here that got hung up at this same spot... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, yet not holding my breath... ha ha ha.

I have watched that vid a handful of times. The OP says the xj is stock with a few accessories

I have no idea what else he has going on, I have heard he was running a NOS bottle. Ive tried to go on their website, but it is in another language and google doesn't do a good job of translating it.

Seems awful fast for a stocker.

Any idea if it is a np242 in it? I think you arent supposed to run the np231 up past 50? Some one correct me if i am wrong.

My good friend and the previous owner of my Cherokee managed to grenade two 231s while driving cross country. I have no details as to what caused it unfortunately, all I do know is I've had the truck for 5 years, used 4wd occasionally (never over 35mph) and never had a problem with the one that's in it now. I would be interested in a 232 upgrade though, with the 1.5" chain and yoke upgrades and what not.
Four. Wheel. Burnout.
Just sayin, that's gonna be hard on everything, and I want her to be able to take it all day long.

I was gonna say... what the hell was he doing that caused that?

I have 2 231s in use presently, with a total of over 300 thousand miles on them. Will be installing a third to make the total ~340 thousand this weekend if all goes according to plan. My only problems so far have been the stupid shift linkage (outside the case, the insides work fine) and the rear output seal on the 231 that is in my wheeling rig, it didn't like the muddy water I had to ford last weekend while wheeling.

He just told me he got rear-ended in the axle the first time, then replaced it with a used one that quickly broke. He replaced that with a new one and I've never had a problem. Ahhh details.

I was talking to this guy on youtube, this is what he said about that rig.

Youtube said:
242 t-case, stock engine k&n intake, magnaflow muffler, 3.55 gears and 50 hp shot

Soo pretty much stock, sans intake/exhaust. I wonder how many runs he is going to pull with all stock parts plus that nitrous bottle. :explosion

4-hi is OK for "any legal speed" according to my manual. Hell, you can shift in/out of it at "any legal speed" though I would take my foot off the floor and make sure I was going straight first.

4-lo is the one that is limited to (I believe) 45mph.

I opened this thread hoping to see an update with a BAMF engine stuffed into a XJ. Instead, I see banter about 231 durability. :rolleyes:

My good friend and the previous owner of my Cherokee managed to grenade two 231s while driving cross country. I have no details as to what caused it unfortunately, all I do know is I've had the truck for 5 years, used 4wd occasionally (never over 35mph) and never had a problem with the one that's in it now. I would be interested in a 232 upgrade though, with the 1.5" chain and yoke upgrades and what not.
Four. Wheel. Burnout.
Just sayin, that's gonna be hard on everything, and I want her to be able to take it all day long.

i melted a couple shift forks cross country. damn shift collar teeth were worn funky putting pressure on it.

I opened this thread hoping to see an update with a BAMF engine stuffed into a XJ. Instead, I see banter about 231 durability. :rolleyes:

yea wtf

I don't "stuff" anything. This is "integration." Quality takes time. Besides, this still all hinges on keeping the 4WD, and I am still waiting to hear from my transmission guy. If he can't do it, then I'm selling the engine and scraping the project. It's TT4WD or nothing. :)

Another interesting and FUN wiki-fact:

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Curb Weight: 3,057 lb
Twin Turbo Toyota Supra MKIV Curb Weight: 3,417 lb

Theoretically this is gonna be quick... even with just the completely stock 2J in it. (Insert evil laughter here)
I'll have to post a video of me racing a stock TT Supra when the engine is in and I know the drivetrain will take the stock 280bhp. That'll be more fun than that Honda ANY day. Not that this is being built for racing...but still, I'll have to a couple of times. Ha.
It's gettin' CLOSE, I can almost smell the high-octane fuel I'm gonna have to start buying. Come on, tranny swap. *fingers crossed* :)

Last edited:
Back