• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

LOL. I'm moving, don't worry. Lot's of details, and much of my time is consumed with this rb26 swap into a 280z. Tranny is figured out, and I am currently planning before the building of the harness starts. I rush nothing, I don't care what China is doing. :)

No kidding :shiver: as a wiring OCD freak that swap is scaring me.

Yeah... can't complain till one of those gets snagged on something and rips a connection or two in half. At that point, the whole thing is covered in mud, you're halfway up a hill climb, and your engine isn't working... and maybe your wiring harness is on fire if you get really lucky.

Neatness counts!

I personally feel that making it work isn't good enough. It has to work WELL and look good doing it. That (to me) is the mark of a professional. Function seamlessly integrated with form... that is the standard. Documentation on EVERYTHING. That is also the standard. Of course, standards take time and money to reach...but they are always worth it imho. :)

Yeah... can't complain till one of those gets snagged on something and rips a connection or two in half. At that point, the whole thing is covered in mud, you're halfway up a hill climb, and your engine isn't working... and maybe your wiring harness is on fire if you get really lucky.

Neatness counts!

Well yea... when that happens, it is no longer working :D

Sweet. I just found and purchased what I believe are the only components I need to change in the tranny. Got 'em for $79 delivered. 30-40le becomes a 30-43le like *poof*. Well easier said than done. I'm gonna just have to grab my nuts and open the tranny up I guess. Maybe two weeks from now.
An-tica-pation. :)

Sorry for the delay. Attaching the AW4 to the 2J is an option, if swapping the tail cone from the 30-40le and the output shafts doesn't allow the Supra tranny to bolt up to the NP231 t-case. I'm sticking with the toyota tranny firtst for 4 reasons:
1. It's already has a wiring harness. The plugs are a little different and this will keep the cleanest install possible.
2. TCU vs Toyo ECU. My 96 has a TCU. The Supra's TCU is built in to it's ECU. I would rather not run the risk of the Toyo ECU freaking out about that.
3. Shift points. One of the advantages of the 2J is the rpm red line. The stock Jeep TCU would keep the stock shift points, thus limiting the power band. Power and durability are the primary reasons for the swap.
4. Torque converter and bell housing cost more. I can't use the ones I have as I understand.

I was just reading through the thread and thought I should clarify something I keep repeating, as well as share a little history as I know it to be. This is for those of you that believe God is in the details, not the devil.
Technically speaking this engine is not coming from a Toyota Supra that you could buy in the US. It is from a mid 90s (OBDI) Toyota Aristo (same as a Lexus GS300) that was likely a cab in Japan. I don't know exactly what year or mileage either, which is why valve seals, front and rear mains, timing belt, and water pump will (hopefully) all be replaced prior to installation into the Jeep. This is, however, the famous 2JZ-GTE that made the twin turbo Supras famous in the import world, only with ceramic turbo impellers instead of steel, slightly smaller cams, and lower cc injectors. The Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) specification 2JZ-GTE was rated at 280 hp, while the USDM version was 320hp, I think. This was due to a gentleman's agreement between the large Japanese automakers like Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc., who were competing in their own racing circuits. This didn't apply to the US market, so they made ours with more power, cause we like it like that. JDM is what you want though, because the US specced 2Js are now made in Mexico, and to much lower tolerances. These are generally regarded as unusable amongst my coworkers. The JDM 2Js are made in Japan and well built. I've got someone even donating a spare set of USDM cams for mine. As far as the trannys are concerned, they are both Aisin-Warners. The Toyota version is tagged "30-40le", while the Jeep version is stamped "30-43le". After acquiring the tech service manuals for both and studying them for differences, I am willing to bet that I simply need to swap the tail section and output shaft from one to the other. I also think that the difference as indicated by the nomenclature (40 and 43) is the 40le is a 2wd version and the 43le is a 4wd version. This assertion will be confirmed or ammended soon. The Toyo version also has an extra solenoid and wires, basically being some more bells and whistles that help regulate line pressure differently.

So anyway, that's what's going in.

This stage has already been a long time coming. This presumably simple yet difficult step should be done by the end of the week. The Toyota tranny is at my shop and we are going to see how this hard part swap works out. This is critical to the entire project, since I'm not trying to make a 2WD only Jeep. While we are at it, I will be making all the modifications that come with the Boost Logic auto tranny upgrade, making the transmission supposedly able to handle around 800 wheel horsepower.

It almost strikes me as odd that I can't find any more of this type of swap in the US. Does anyone know of any? I've located one in the Middle East, and one in China. I can't believe I'll be the only one in the Americas, let alone the Western Hemisphere. Seems like a statistical improbability, especially when I look at the whole thing. It's a straight six, the trannies are nearly identical, it's crazy power potential and it fits. For an all-around, rough and tumble, beat up the streets, drive through crowds of zombie apocalypse, do what the bleep you want kind of vehicle, (obviously not suited for rock-crawling or related uses that would be better suited to low-end torque) a Jeep with a bleeping 2J just makes sense to me.

It will be rowdy and glorious. NAXJA

THIS IS MY DREAM YOU ARE FULFILLING IT.

godspeed my friend, really really really looking forward to it. once i get my next XJ it will have a 2JZ... doing a swap on my subie first.

Alright, I've found out that we need more than just the output shaft and tail piece from the AW4, but we are 99% confident that using the Jeep internals we can make the Toyota transmission casing, electronics, and valve body all work to mate with the Jeep transfer case. At worst we are looking at keeping the rear 4 planet planetary instead of using the 5 planet upgrade, which is fine. The 4 planet gear set is plenty strong. The piston is probably fine, but if it's not, I have a billet one that is. Some stronger sprags, springs, and some other valve body work, and she should be a sound and solid power transmitting beast (we are picking whatever we need/will fit from the Boost Logic Supra transmission upgrade kit while we have it all apart). I might still need to switch to a Lexus bellhousing and torque converter after all. Damn it I wish I had another Jeep tranny to complete the drivetrain merge with before the swap. Hmmm...
So yeah, hopefully we take two transmissions and turn them into one that I can use to marry the new powerplant with the original drivetrain. I am nearing completion on a complete step by step, wire by wire installation dive flow for the entire setup. I'm still working on getting the minimum amount of seals for the engine, air gauge, intercooler, and motor mounts. Fortunately I have some hook-ups, so hopefully I can keep direct monetary costs to a minimum.
Electronically I still need to locate every signal i/o in the Jeep that corresponds to the signal flow of the drivetrain and decide where to splice in the new connectors and where I need to hardwire. I still need to decide exactly which connectors to use. I'll probably use AMP connectors for the main harness splice locations. I have found a place to get hose connections from, but I have yet to select the list of parts I will need to connect the 2J a/c compressor to the Jeep a/c system. Same goes for the power steering pump. I'm trying to get it down to the point that the only fab I'll need to do during the actual swap is figure out and solve the motor mount bracket-to-body issue.

If anybody knows someone with a 96 cherokee tranny, I've got some ford 4.6, yamaha r1, and Jeep 4.0 stuff, engines and parts I can trade.

Awesome. I found a tranny local on craig's list for 50 bucks and it may even work. I pick it up tomorrow. This is very good news.

If you weren't so far away I would donate any aw4 parts needed, I have a smoked one in my storage unit that's really only good for parts, frictions are toast. Came out of a 96 and I'm slowly stripping it. Kinda heavy to ship :( try the rrc classifieds forum maybe.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's all good. In fact, I scored a couple of awesome things last night. Black projector lenses, the boost gauge, the transmission, and I even found the dash panel with the rocker switches that operates the rear wiper AND the transmission mode select. The Jeep never had this feature before, but the Toyota electronics includes the Power/Comfort shift pattern select feature... and it's gonna be seamless. I love it. Unfortunately that also pretty much taps me out for cash this pay period, lol.

The donor transmission is in my garage... unfortunately my transmission expert is out of town for a week. Slowly, surely, and methodically. That way the next one is quick. Somebody with a 2-door XJ needs to do this swap!

Back