• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

yeah... what?

I'm guessing he had a few and meant to type "supra boost gauge"

Also -
sexy, sexy work.
Do you think you'll put a section of old hose over the hard lines where they go through the frame? Probably take a long time, but I've seen hard lines wear / crack / leak where they vibrate against those sorts of openings.

I was gonna say, he's trolling, lol.

I will line the holes themselves with rubber hose, not the lines.

I've got almost everything needed for startup done...I just need to terminate the battery cables and put the fluids in. I do seem to have a short to ground somewhere because every circuit in the PDC is connected to ground save 2 of the small fuses. This is when it gets REALLY fun.

Those two small fuses are not grounded because (I think) they are either powered by relays, or by wires fed back from the fuse panel under the dash. Easy way to figure out where the short is is to remove one fuse at a time, when the rest of the PDC stops being grounded out, you found your grounded circuit. If more than one is shorted I like to use the opposite method - first write down what size fuses go everywhere, then pull them all out. Check if it's still shorted. If it's not, put one fuse in at a time till the short comes back, note that position and keep going till you find them all. Then you get to dig through your wiring... :looney:

Power Distribution Center (aka the fuse block)

Cause how many Cherokees do you see with a boost gauge?!

This is a friend's dash:
2d11c8.jpg

And I've got another dash like that, to get the boost gauge in place of the voltmeter in my dash. Just ... need.... time...
Ok, enough off-topic...

'Don't know how much heat is going to be shed by the turbo, but do you think you may need a heat shield along the PDC? It would suck if that started to melt.

@Adrian: WTF is that instrument cluster from, I want it.

Someone on jeepforum suggested I make a list, now that I'm near the end. LOFL.

Here is the final list:
1. 02 sensors wired in
2. Oil pan bolts installed
3. Boost controller connected
4. Starter wire insulated
5. Crank bolt torqued
6. Crankcase ventilation filters installed
7. Engine oil filled
8. Coolant (water) system filled (water will be replaced by 50/50 after break-in)
9. Trans oil filled
10. Power steering oil filled

I have a few other things on the list, but they will be done after initial startup is behind me...like building the down-pipe, installing the driveshafts, fixing the rust hole in my floor pan, etc...

So at 3 am I thought I had a short, but I realized today that my dumb-ass had the key in the ignition in the "run" position so I could steer it when we pushed her in the shop. Embarrassing, yet relieving.

As far as heat management goes, I will be keeping a close eye on EVERYTHING for weeks to come, I assure you. :)

School has started now, and I guarantee that Chem and Calc III will be vying for a lot of my time, but this week I'm gonna take it slow, relax, breathe, and finish these last few things right. Rushing is how we XXXX up. With maturity and experience comes self-control... supposedly. :) Either way I'm not rushing cause I don't want to make a mistake. Chances are several have already been made. That being said, this Jeep will be running by Sunday.

That's a cluster from a Turbo Diesel Cherokee

I've never seen one but that was the first thing that came to mind.
Since when do cars come with boost gauges? I didn't know the supra or cherokee did lol. But that is some cool stuff right there. How does your friends diesel cherokee run? Considering it has a turbo unlike most 80's 4cyl diesels.

most cars/trucks with a power adder turbo (not a shitty econmy turbo like you find in small cars) came with turbo gauges stock.

My favorite:
Sy_1-400x311.jpg

More specifically, from the ones equipped with the Renault 2.1L Turbo Diesel (up to 92-93? and sold in the US and Canada, although in small numbers) I've got the one with the VM 2.5L TD and it has a voltmeter there. If I'm unlucky and my engine pegs the boost meter I may want to get rid of the whole dash.

Any particular reason to use straight water instead of 50/50 antifreeze mix during the engine break-in ?

Last edited:
Because my cooling system in the Jeep is dirty as hell, and once she heat cycles a couple times the engine oil is coming back out and so is the coolant.

I never realized some of the TD XJs actually came with a boost gauge. That's pretty awesome.

man , your work is inspirational.
just for my forced induction education, what turbo model did you use, i remember it was something of an evo? but if you can share the exact model , that would be nice

and how big is it, housing diameter and total length, thing is i am trying to use the same turbo in a custom project but cant get hold of its tech drawing or model no.

Back