• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

Well damn Cobra, 2 cents? I think I counted a dollar fifty. :) Thanks, it's cool you agree with the idea that a properly built turbo setup will usually trump most other engine technologies out there. You should look up Marc Evans in Austin, TX...aka "Streetfighter". He is putting the finishing touches on round 5 of his compound turbo 2jz-ge Z31 as I type this. He can give you some advise perhaps, since he is doing what I've heard people say won't work. He's full of info you can use, like the fact that boosting boost (compressing compressed air) is mulitplicative, not additive. For example, run just 5 psi out of the small turbo and then run 5 psi out of the big turbo and walla...25 psi at the intake, minus whatever pressure drops your charge piping/intercooler setup incurs. Anyway, thanks for the advice, it will be considered. As for the "right" turbo setup, I'm not convinced that's what I have, but time will tell.

Today I completed the majority of the ecu wiring. All that's left are all the transmission/shifter wires and the EFI. These pics walk through the wiring process I am using.

JeepWiringPhase132.jpg

JeepWiringPhase133.jpg

JeepWiringPhase134.jpg

JeepWiringPhase135.jpg

JeepWiringPhase136.jpg

JeepWiringPhase137.jpg

JeepWiringPhase138.jpg

JeepWiringPhase139.jpg

JeepWiringPhase140.jpg

JeepWiringPhase141.jpg

JeepWiringPhase142.jpg

So according to the various schematics it soon became obviuos that the Jeep doesn't actually have an "EFI" relay. It uses an ASD relay and a fuel pump relay. After some careful thought I soon realized that I could simply install the factory Toyota EFI relay into the appropriate empty relay socket in the Jeep's power distribution box, with only minor modifications to the relay itself. I'm really happy about this.

JeepWiringPhase143.jpg

JeepWiringPhase144.jpg

Friday I will continue with this wiring, starting with the EFI circuits and transmission signals. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, far away as it still is, lol.

Heres the hitec connectors. I have a scratch built rc pro mod rock buggy and a rc18 with a brushless motor on lithium that will do 50mph+. Never topped it out cause its a pita to drive and get everything working right.
Hitec_Gold_Pin_Connector_SC.jpg

HPSERCONF5L.jpg

Got most of the cooling system figured out and connected. Slow going atm since I have a million things pulling me away from it, important as getting my daily running again is. :p

That is an excellent question that I don't yet have an answer to. I can tell you this...if the 2J ecu electronically controlled it before, then yes, but the hydraulic system that was used before may complicate things. I'll be sure to fill in those details as I do it.

That is an excellent question that I don't yet have an answer to. I can tell you this...if the 2J ecu electronically controlled it before, then yes, but the hydraulic system that was used before may complicate things. I'll be sure to fill in those details as I do it.

Well from what I've seen in the wiring diagrams, the hydraulic cooling fan has its own control unit that uses inputs from the main ECU. So I'm guessing there should be some way of using those inputs to turn an electric fan on and off.

Also, if you haven't already swapped your waterpump out for a Supra unit which doesn't have the hydraulic solenoid, etc on it. You can simply hook up the hydraulic hoses to a bottle with hydraulic fluid and close the circuit. Besides sparing you the expense of a new waterpump (at least for some time), who knows you might find some cool hydraulic accessory to drive with it later :dunno:

I've already replaced it with a new Supra unit. I should be able to use whatever controls controlled the hydro unit to activate the rad fan solenoid in the Jeep PDU. I haven't gone through the signals in the main ecu plug because, well...they are already wired. I have a couple more sensor signals to the dash, 12v to the ignitor, the neutral start switch to starter solenoid wiring,the trans solenoids power, the reverse lamps, and the shifter that I don't have yet. :) Also all the engine to chassis grounds.

I did complete the efi wiring, and have the entire cooling system hoses made, except for the turbo coolant hoses themselves.

so, Free Rides for Naxja members... when it's done? I might have another cross country drive around may next year..

just sayin'

ugh...sooo close. Hurry up man i wanna see this beast in action

right so i see an engin bay....full of tasty inline goodness .......why isnt it out scaring the little kids and the elderly?

I've already replaced it with a new Supra unit. I should be able to use whatever controls controlled the hydro unit to activate the rad fan solenoid in the Jeep PDU. I haven't gone through the signals in the main ecu plug because, well...they are already wired. I have a couple more sensor signals to the dash, 12v to the ignitor, the neutral start switch to starter solenoid wiring,the trans solenoids power, the reverse lamps, and the shifter that I don't have yet. :) Also all the engine to chassis grounds.

I did complete the efi wiring, and have the entire cooling system hoses made, except for the turbo coolant hoses themselves.

Man that is awesome! I can't wait to hear this thing fire up and raise some hell! It might give me the motivation to get my project done too. It still stis where I left it 2 months ago, holding the patio down. My Jeep's got a long way to go before I can even think about putting a motor in it :banghead:

Back