• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

I totally plan on armoring the front, ensuring that the IC is protected, but honestly that's gonna be a little later and I'm just going to drive it with no rubber for now. Ick.

I know the feeling. That is why I ran my D60's with 42's and 4.10 for a year or two. I just wanted to get it together and drive it and the budget did not allow for all the gear stuff and the new axles. I figured you had it covered but thought I would ask. I mean the attention to detail here is mind boggling. :thumbup:

I didn't get up till like 3:30, and didn't get to the Jeep until 5:30 or so. Meh, whatever. I did get the return line from the engine run using a combination of hard line and rubber FI hose, and had to re-engineer the fuel pump situation. The 94-95 Fuel Pump assembly I bought was not exactly the same length as the one I pulled out of my 96. It would not install due to the baffles and bottom of the tank. What I chose to do was drill a hole and weld the tubing from the 94-95 it so it would work as though it was all one tube. Fortunately my 96 version still had the return tube, it just terminated at the top instead of poking through. Installed the pump, put in new hose, repaired some of the wiring, then put it back together.

96VersionInstall01.jpg

96VersionInstall02.jpg

96VersionInstall03.jpg

96VersionInstall04.jpg

96VersionInstall05.jpg

96VersionInstall06.jpg

FuelReturnLine01.jpg

FuelReturnLine02.jpg

FuelReturnLine03.jpg

FuelReturnLine04.jpg

FuelReturnLine05.jpg

FuelReturnLine06.jpg

I also was able to get started on the intake and charge piping. Intake pipe is built and compressor outlet pipe is built. Still need the second pipe before the IC inlet, and both first and second pipes on the IC outlet/Intake manifold side. Gonna drill some big holes. :) I can't wait till all the piping is black. The shiny shit in there looks bunk.

IntakeTubing01.jpg

IntakeTubing02.jpg

IntakeTubing03.jpg

IntakeTubing04.jpg

IntakeTubing06.jpg

Yeah, absolutely. Maybe both. I'm getting it coated black, and very well may wrap it too.

Coater told me that he's heard that wrapping a coated pipe doesn't work as well as you'd think. Anyone ever wrapped AND heat coated an exhaust manifold before?

Coater told me that he's heard that wrapping a coated pipe doesn't work as well as you'd think. Anyone ever wrapped AND heat coated an exhaust manifold before?
not mine, but a friends rig (not same motor obviously) was torn apart and the manifold was cracked all over the place, was all bad

In my zeal to keep the c.o.g. down I set the engine in too low. At the upper limits of the suspension travel the front diff would be able to hit the oil pan before the axle hit the bump stops. Really XXXXing agitating. I spent about 5 hours relocating the engine and rebuilding the motor mounts. As it sits now, with the engine up so the front of the cam sprocket cover was hitting the hood, the clearances are good and there is a 3 degree difference between the angle of the output shaft on the xfer case (approx 7 degrees) and the pinion on the rear diff (approx 10 degrees)... a difference of 3 degrees with the suspension fully loaded. I'll shim the rear axle 2 degrees so when the truck squats under acceleration it will get closer to zero before over shooting it.

Since I raised the engine up to the hood I decided to raise the hood, since making sure the diff does not damage the oil pan is much more important than wanting a stock hood. We all gotta make concessions sometimes. I decided to have fun with it. Went to lowes, picked up some perforated angle iron, and went to work. I still need to get some sheet to close off the front of the "scoop", since it's not supposed to be a scoop. I just want the hood to be raised a little in the middle where the cam cover makes contact. I will finish the "cowl"... wait no, I don't even know what you call this. Anyway, I'll smooth it all up, fill it in with some bondo or something, then rattle can the whole hood back to black. Tomorrow I need to figure out a waste gate actuator bracket solution and finish the charge piping.

HoodScoop01.jpg

HoodScoop02.jpg

HoodScoop03.jpg

HoodScoop04.jpg

HoodScoop05.jpg

HoodScoop06.jpg

HoodScoop07.jpg

HoodScoop08.jpg

HoodScoop09.jpg

HoodScoop10.jpg

HoodScoop11.jpg

HoodScoop12.jpg

HoodScoop13.jpg

Today I finalized the routing of all the charge piping. I used mostly scrap bends, and had to redo the driver's side after realizing the header panel wouldn't fit with the piping coming through the square hole. Whatever, I'm flexible. Re-routed like I did the passenger side and everything is good.

ChargePiping01.jpg

ChargePiping02.jpg

ChargePiping03.jpg

ChargePiping04.jpg

ChargePiping05.jpg

ChargePiping06.jpg

ChargePiping07.jpg

ChargePiping08.jpg

ChargePiping09.jpg

ChargePiping10.jpg

ChargePiping11.jpg

ChargePiping12.jpg

ChargePiping13.jpg

ChargePiping14.jpg

ChargePiping15.jpg

ChargePiping16.jpg

ChargePiping17.jpg

ChargePiping18.jpg

ChargePiping19.jpg

ChargePiping20.jpg

ChargePiping21.jpg

ChargePiping22.jpg

I am putting together a list of everything remaining so I can finish this drivetrain swap...and I can't wait till the hood is done (I hate it like this now) and everything shiny is turned to black. :)

I have tt supra rims that will be going on when I can afford the appropriate rubber for them. She'll be 4WD with 8.5" wide wheels up front and 10" wide wheels in the rear. Powdered black, though. See the first pics on page one of this thread. :)

I think she needs a snorkel.

Stick a straw in your mouth and go for a run..... unless of course you use huge tube for the snorkel! Looks sweet!

The TT Supra Rims, big tahrs, and exhaust note will too.

Funny thing, my friend and I heard a non-turbo 2jz supra with aftermarket exhaust, and we thought we heard a 4.0 jeep... It sounded identical to my friends old 91' cherokee with 94 4.0 ho engine which had a straight pipe and japanese muffler(aka fart can)..

Back