• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

ChadsPhone010.jpg

This is the sweetness.

Thanks. It took about 2 weeks to figure out, and I'm pretty proud of it. Everything is tied into the dash harness, so the dash just plugs in like it did from the factory. I hate that it has no oil pressure gauge, temp, MIL, turn sig indicators, etc...but the owner didn't want them.

I had some personal stuff come up this week, and this weekend I'm celebrating my 3rd wedding anniversary, so you can imagine I will not be making any progress on the Jeep until monday. Just sayin'. :)

My parts show that my 96 has 1 tube going into (or coming out of, more accurately) it. The jy assembly (from a 94 or 95) clearly also has a return line. I need this for the fuel system on the 2J to function. It's also important to use the 2J fuel pressure regulator, as none of the existing Jeep systems were ever designed to be boosted applications. I'm $160 in to the fuel system, and I don't have the return line made yet.

I've modified the jy fuel tank pump housing to accept the Walbro. This pump supposedly is good to deliver enough fuel to make over 5-600 whp, so it will definitely be fine for now and the future. It pretty much bolts and plugs right in. I shortened one of the tubes to accommodate the slightly longer pump. Trimmed the rubber hose, cut back the tube, then welded a slight bead around the tube to help with keeping the hose on. Electrical plugs all fit perfect already. All I needed was the pump and the filter. NOTE: These Walbros look a lot alike, and the only difference is what side the filter comes out of. This is important. I'll get the exact part number I used and post it. It will be in the parts list anyway.

Stock96intanksetup.jpg

WalbroInstall001.jpg

WalbroInstall01.jpg

WalbroInstall02.jpg

WalbroInstall03.jpg

WalbroInstall04.jpg

WalbroInstall05.jpg

WalbroInstall06-1.jpg

Last edited:
make sure you put a new oring gasket where the assembly seals on the tank itself, once they've been on there for a few years they'll never go back on without leaking. I also like to coat each side with 3M weatherstripping adhesive, the gooey black stuff. it won't dissolve from the gasoline like silicone will, and it helps seal it up and keep the oring in place while you're tapping the lock ring in to place.

ok, it's been 30 mins into Monday and I'm disappointed in the lack of progress thus far.
:p This is one awesome build. I'm following the AW4 write-up as well. Hats off to you and hope for some big numbers when this thing runs the dyno.

I have 4 of the 6 runners welded up. I'll finish welding the runners in the morning, then work on fitting them to the collector and head flange, then welding the whole thing up. I'd like to see the manifold done by friday. I think the IC mounting will be next. My focus right now is getting the fab done so I can do the electrical and other details at my leisure. Tired of needing the shop for crap.

SprintPhoto_m06.jpg

Yesterday morning I got some more done on the manifold, and finished it up for the most part this morning. Brought the Jeep back over to the shop and started on my list. Manifold on and turbo mounted and fitting was first. Then I worked on getting the intercooler mounted. At first I hated it, but it is becoming tolerable. I just had a really loose plan with everything regarding the intercooler, including using the almost free IC I traded for. It's too long, so in the future a sized and set intercooler mounting will be due. For now, I need to get her running.

Special thanks to Vince Ramirez of CTD FAB in Tempe, AZ for not only sponsoring all the bends in the manifold, but teaching me some really good tips on manifold building. Vince is a bad ass with out of the box fab and any of you guys in the AZ area should look him up if you need something. My first manifold is far from perfect, but it couldn't have come out like this without his tips and advice. Also, Marc Evans with his z31 "streetfighter". I used the 3-to-1 collectors he made for the gtr, and just paired them up.

SprintPhoto_n04b.jpg

SprintPhoto_n04a.jpg

SprintPhoto_n04c.jpg

SprintPhoto_n05.jpg

SprintPhoto_n06.jpg

SprintPhoto_n07.jpg

SprintPhoto_n08.jpg

IC installation:

IC01.jpg

IC02.jpg

IC03.jpg

Intercoolermounting1.jpg

Intercoolermounting2.jpg

IC04.jpg

Looks neat but are you going to wheel this jeep or is it a street jeep? That inter-cooler is going to be rock/stump magnet.

I totally plan on armoring the front, ensuring that the IC is protected, but honestly that's gonna be a little later and I'm just going to drive it with no rubber for now. Ick.

Back