• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT a budget buggy build

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, it's a quasi budget buggy build, but not budget parts. I just bought another XJ ('89 4.0 auto) with Tera60's and an Atlas, plus other things, that will be the basis for the new project.

Here are pics of the rig and various parts, with captions: http://fototime.com/inv/D19A0FE1C64FDA0

The challenge now is to figure out what I have time to do before the end of Sept which will be the first trip for the new rig out to Johnson Valley. I'm going to sell the Olympic front bumper, Wilderness rear bumper, the rock rails, the beadlock rims and 35" Xterrains, and eventually the cage and suspension.

The basic equipment is:
Tera CRD60's front and rear, 63" wide, 4.56 gears
Tera T-Lockers, air actuated with pneumatic switches and ARB compressor
Atlas II 3.8
Warn 9.5 XP
98 4.0 with 60K and new head, and Gibson header
hydro-assist steering....doesn't currently work

The basic goals are:
linked rear suspension, probably a 3 link with Panhard rod
coilovers or air shocks....not decided yet
ditch the Tera front suspension for something with more clearance
SAW 12" coilovers
front axle is already moved forward 4" for a 105" wheelbase
need crossmember/belly pan/skid plate
rig will be completely tubed, only sheetmetal left will be the hood...no windshield

I won't worry about being street legal or keeping it licensed, it'll be a strictly off road rig.

wow, nice find, hope you got a good deal. are you thinking all round tube? I've always figured if I built a buggy I would do the main rails out of rectangular tubing; it just seems easier to get all square and symetrical initially and easier to attach crossmembers, suspension, motor mounts, etc to.

get bendin :D

Hell yeah............can't wait to see it------------Kyle

Geepfreak said:
I see John was still afraid of the Armour-All..:D
Moab Dirt?

Been sitting for a loooong time. It will likely stay dirty based on what I have planned for it. :)

You guys suck!

I have to place my order this week :( and start chopping

be detailed on the tubing/frame portion if you can. i'm thinking about doing the same some day.

You are such a Richard!! :laugh3:

good find.

( pm sent )

Goatman said:
The basic goals are:
linked rear suspension, probably a 3 link with Panhard rod

Richard,
With the panhard are you going to have the back of the tube work stop at the axle ? Something like this.
2006_may%20(2).jpg

Just a quote from Dustin of Redbull from the same thread. Somthing to think about.

"I'm betting you won't need that anti-rock. A three link w panhard acts totally different than a triangulated four link and NONE of the three link buggies here use a swaybar. Try it with and without...you'll probably find it is fine without."

Last edited:
David Taylor said:
Richard,
With the panhard are you going to have the back of the tube work stop at the axle ? Something like this.

I told him to get some beer for you and some wine for fishboy and getting it done wouldn't be a problem.

David Taylor said:
Richard,
2006_may%20(2).jpg

Just a quote from Dustin of Redbull from the same thread. Somthing to think about.

"I'm betting you won't need that anti-rock. A three link w panhard acts totally different than a triangulated four link and NONE of the three link buggies here use a swaybar. Try it with and without...you'll probably find it is fine without."

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I'm not planning on running any sway bars unless I decide it may be necessary after running it. I like the higher roll center of the three link, and there is more leeway on the control arm positions than there is with a triangulated four link. I can still come out past the axle with the tube in the rear, but only with the upper tube. The shape will be determined by fitting in the tank, storage comparment/container holder, battery, and possibly the radiator.

In the front, to get the track bar high enough on the axle, it may be necessary to slightly notch the frame, and that might interfere with the position of the winch. Quite a few things to figure out yet, and unfortunately I will likely be forced to build it in stages.

David Taylor said:
Is that at static height? If so, why would you mount your Panhard at an angle like that? Ideally, it should be at 180 degrees, parallel with the axle, at static height - that way the axle and Panhard travel in an equal arc.

Back