• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Oil Recomendation

oil pressure is right up the middle (can't remember the numbers on the hashes at the moment) and when i rev high it goes to the second hash past middle... normal driving is first hash past middle... it used to sit at the one before middle when idling... i only post this cause the 10w30 made it run more smooth than the 15w50

I noticed a difference when I went 10w40 m1 hi-mi from 10w30(store didn't have any 10w30 hi-mi). Valvetrain was a lil noisier and oil pressure stays b/t 55-75 instead of 40/45-70. I'm definitely trading in the 10w40 I have left over from the sale for the 10w30. Not to rant, but I really don't understand why we are basically being pushed to use 20w50s and 15w50s just to get oil that has ZDDP in it or else shell out high $ for premium synths. I've used 10w30 for over 15 years(until this last change) and I know my Jeep runs better with that weight.

RyanM said:
Amsoil ATM :clap:

RyanM, do you have a source for ZDDP levels in the different AMSOIL types/grades?

The "ATM" is 10w-30 Synthetic...

then they have some 10w-40s....5w-40s...15w-40s....some say diesel formulas, some say premium protection....each one has its own 3 letter code (like ATM)...

anyone.....w_howey?

Thanks!

The AMSOIL "AMO" 10w-40 says this:

• API SL/CF, CI-4 Plus
  • API SJ, SH, SG...
  • MIL-PRF-2104G
  • JASO MA (Motorcycle)

JNickel101 said:
RyanM, do you have a source for ZDDP levels in the different AMSOIL types/grades?

The "ATM" is 10w-30 Synthetic...

then they have some 10w-40s....5w-40s...15w-40s....some say diesel formulas, some say premium protection....each one has its own 3 letter code (like ATM)...

anyone.....w_howey?

Thanks!

I have it for some of them... I will post them later, I have my twins in my lap so I don't have enough hands to cut and paste at the moment....

JNickel101 said:
The AMSOIL "AMO" 10w-40 says this:

• API SL/CF, CI-4 Plus
  • API SJ, SH, SG...
  • MIL-PRF-2104G
  • JASO MA (Motorcycle)

This one is 1275 ppm. My father runs this in his Vette. He has been happy with the results of his UOA's since the switch. This is from a guy whose policy was 'whatever is cheap'.

w_howey said:
I have it for some of them... I will post them later, I have my twins in my lap so I don't have enough hands to cut and paste at the moment....

Here were the ones specifically talked about in the Amsoil techinical bulletin on flat tappet cams and the needed levels of ZDDP.
AMO(10w40) Premium Synthetic Protection Phosphorus 1265 ppm Zinc 1378 ppm

ARO (20w50) Premium Synthetic Protection Phosphorus 1266 ppm Zinc 1379 ppm

HDD(5w30) HD Diesel Phosphorous 1266 ppm Zinc 1379 ppm

TRO (20w50) Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Phosphorus 1235 ppm Zinc 1370 ppm

AHR (SAE 60) Super Heavy Weight Racing Phosphorus 1265 ppm Zinc 1375 ppm

(Sorry guys I'm having a tough time reading my own writing on the back of an envelope. I'll post some of the others when I can read them)

Brad Penn isnt that expensive, about 4.50 a quart if you get a case. It may be harder to find than Mobile or AmsOil. Maybe a local speed shop or engine builder will have it in stock or will be able to order it. You can get it in 0W30, 10W30, 20W50, break in and straight weights.

~Alex

w_howey said:
Here were the ones specifically talked about in the Amsoil techinical bulletin on flat tappet cams and the needed levels of ZDDP.
AMO(10w40) Premium Synthetic Protection Phosphorus 1265 ppm Zinc 1378 ppm

ARO (20w50) Premium Synthetic Protection Phosphorus 1266 ppm Zinc 1379 ppm

HDD(5w30) HD Diesel Phosphorous 1266 ppm Zinc 1379 ppm

TRO (20w50) Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Phosphorus 1235 ppm Zinc 1370 ppm

AHR (SAE 60) Super Heavy Weight Racing Phosphorus 1265 ppm Zinc 1375 ppm

(Sorry guys I'm having a tough time reading my own writing on the back of an envelope. I'll post some of the others when I can read them)

Thanks! I think I'll be ordering some of the AMO from you soon :) unless you come back with something better!

Amsoil MCF(10w-40) Synthetic Motorcycle Phosphorous 1245 ppm Zinc 1358 ppm

AFF(0w40) Formula 4-Stroke Powersports Phosphorous 1211 ppm Zinc 1451 ppm

Ha, finally found some Rotella T syn, although it was in a 5W40 weight I think that has to do with the season up here, I'm not due for another 3-4 months so I'll see what they carry then. Looking for something closer to 15W40.

I foung this interesting: My trans tech who has been racing cup cars and all kinds off outlaw cars etc..told me that his sponsor Lucas Oil told him that synthetics are great but have one problem, when used in a dusty environment the synthetic will not suspend the impurities and they sit at the bottom of the pan, when you fire up the engine these impurities are concentrated which will cause excessive wear. The petroleum base on the other hand suspends the dirt and allows the filter to due its job much more effectively. He also said this is why the manufactures have stuck with a synthetic blend.

FordGuy said:
I foung this interesting: My trans tech who has been racing cup cars and all kinds off outlaw cars etc..told me that his sponsor Lucas Oil told him that synthetics are great but have one problem, when used in a dusty environment the synthetic will not suspend the impurities and they sit at the bottom of the pan, when you fire up the engine these impurities are concentrated which will cause excessive wear. The petroleum base on the other hand suspends the dirt and allows the filter to due its job much more effectively. He also said this is why the manufactures have stuck with a synthetic blend.

The manufacturers don't use a blend, GM, BMW, MB all use 100% syn.

FordGuy said:

I'm not suprised that an additive company rep, would bash synthetics. Considering the synthetic manufacturers recommend not using additives, specifically not viscosity modifiers. Which just happens to be what Lucas sells.

But the main reason the factory manufacturers have stuck with dinos or blends is economics. The additional cost of synthetics can't be passed on to customers easily so they don't get added. In some of the speciality vehicles though you are starting to see that change. But when you reach that level of a vehicle its not hard to pass those extra costs onto consumers.

You will probably see an increased use of synthetics in new manufacture vehicles though. As the CAFE standards increase, the manufacturers are going to have to rethink how they do things. Even a few tenths of a gallon gained by switching to synthetics is a few tenths of a gallon they don't have to try and engineer in....

Actually he did not bash synthetics at all, he made it very clear on many benefits of synthetics, it was based on vehicles that run in a dusty environment vs. a cleaner asphalt type. I did talk to my Motorcraft rep who sells us our full synthetic line of oil and he did say that Ford has acknowledged the problem of synthetics being used because customers feel they can go longer between oil changes and the reality is even though the lubrication properties remain, it does not change what ends up in the oil like the increase in acidity and dirt etc..just food for thought.

Back