• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Oil Recomendation

Well.. for what it's worth I call north central Texas home and When I bought my xj it had 75k on it. 1st owner ran 10w/30 Quaker State and lived in NC. I asked around several off road shops and Jeep dealers and hands down all of them recomended Castrol HD 30.

So thats what I run in it. I have only one complaints and it not the oils fault. It's getting harder and harder to find on the Walmart shelf.

I meet a guy last weekend with an 89 Cherokee, 4x4, 4.0L, that had 370,000 miles on his and had been running Quaker state 10W40 since he bought it in 89. Still does not use oil.

An ex mechanic from the local Chrysler dealership I ran into last year says they recommend straight 40wt on the older 4.0s, and he was driving a 96 Cherokee at the time.

I am currently using any 20W50 dyno (except penzoil), API SL rated (not SM rated) oil that I can find in mine with 1 quart of Lucas oil additive in the mix. 250,000 miles on mine. Last week I scored some havoline 20W50 with the old SL only label (No API SM on the label) at an oil change place.

BTW,this was the recomended oil 13yrs and 240K miles ago. I also should say drive 700 miles a week in my xj and change the oil every 3k-5k miles. Also used plain jane STP oil treatment twice (2) a yr. Not sure if this (STP) realy helped anything but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. My Goal is 300K not sure if it will make it but so far so good.

snuf, so far i have 241k on my 89 limited.
oil changes get done when i get to it & what ever is on sale basicaly, but i also replace a quart of oil with a quart of lucas too.
like you said, not sure if it realy helps, but it makes me all warm & fuzzy.

i also wont use any other oil filter than a good fram filter. yea yea i know some people on here dont like fram, but i personaly have NEVER had a problem with them.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I just picked up some Rotella T Heavy Duty 15w40 (diesel engine stuff) and noticed it is CJ-4/SM rated. Does that mean it doesn't have the ZDDP that the flat tappets need? I have been wanting to switch to Rotella and when I got it home noticed the SM rating.
:doh:
I changed the oil 2 days ago with the Rotella and a Napa Gold over sized filter and my oil pressure has never been better. Hot idle is 20-25 range and hot cruise is 40-50 range. Before hot idle would be a little under 10 and cruise would be 35-40. Cold starts have not been a problem yet.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I changed the oil 2 days ago with the Rotella and a Napa Gold over sized filter and my oil pressure has never been better. Hot idle is 20-25 range and hot cruise is 40-50 range. Before hot idle would be a little under 10 and cruise would be 35-40. Cold starts have not been a problem yet.

Good job, let us know how it works out in the long run. I'm going with Rotella syn hopefully next change.

Saw this thread up again, Im sure it takes a while but im still oil leak free and Idle and cruising speed pressure is 40 and 50 respectively.

If anyone didnt see I switched at 122000ish(reminds me I need to make a sticker for 3,000) I went from quick lube brands to Mobil1 HM 10w40.

solditforajeep said:
Saw this thread up again, Im sure it takes a while but im still oil leak free and Idle and cruising speed pressure is 40 and 50 respectively.

If anyone didnt see I switched at 122000ish(reminds me I need to make a sticker for 3,000) I went from quick lube brands to Mobil1 HM 10w40.
Nice Soldit, what was the zddp's for that again, I believe earlier in the thread it was stated that it was dropped to 1000, keep us posted!

I've been using M1 High Millage on my 92 XJ for 2 changes now and I'm gonna start using it on my "new" 94 since it has a new RMS and is leak free! The ZDDP in M1 HM is 1000 PPM. My 92 XJ loves Mobil 1 HM 10w-40, the lifters make no noise, its a very clean engine since I have used it, and it starts way better in cold weather. I would put Mobil 1 in anything with a piston. Its just the best value in synthetic oil, 33$ at WalMart for 7 quarts. I put in about 6.3 quarts to get right on the line, and it stays at the full mark until its changes, does not burn like when I used Valvoline Max Life! Theres nothing I can find wrong with Mobil 1.:loveu:

BillBraski said:
I've been using M1 High Millage on my 92 XJ for 2 changes now and I'm gonna start using it on my "new" 94 since it has a new RMS and is leak free! The ZDDP in M1 HM is 1000 PPM. My 92 XJ loves Mobil 1 HM 10w-40, the lifters make no noise, its a very clean engine since I have used it, and it starts way better in cold weather. I would put Mobil 1 in anything with a piston. Its just the best value in synthetic oil, 33$ at WalMart for 7 quarts. I put in about 6.3 quarts to get right on the line, and it stays at the full mark until its changes, does not burn like when I used Valvoline Max Life! Theres nothing I can find wrong with Mobil 1.:loveu:

That may be the way I go too Bill, that or Rotella. I'll give Rotella a try next time and see how she responds and see from there.

tkjeeper said:
That may be the way I go too Bill, that or Rotella. I'll give Rotella a try next time and see how she responds and see from there.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things from Rottella. The only thing I dislike about is its 15W-40. Its a little too thick for the cold weather as far as starting. But thats not a big deal. I do like the Synthetic Rottella 5w-40, I know people that use it with only good things to say. All in all, with a 4.0, you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 HM or Rotella. The ZDDP levels are good enough for me!

kinda off topic, but do any of you oil gurus know the zddp levels in castrol dino and syntec? thats mostly what I've run in my heep since I got it, strait dino at first, then the syn blend, now the last couple times I've run 4.5qt dino and 2qt full syn to make my own syn blend, which I've read gives more benefits than the bottled syn blend :dunno: I've been too cheap to go full syn @ $7/qt, but after reading this thread I'm goin rotella 5-40 syn next time :D

FoMoCo said:
kinda off topic, but do any of you oil gurus know the zddp levels in castrol dino and syntec? thats mostly what I've run in my heep since I got it, strait dino at first, then the syn blend, now the last couple times I've run 4.5qt dino and 2qt full syn to make my own syn blend, which I've read gives more benefits than the bottled syn blend :dunno: I've been too cheap to go full syn @ $7/qt, but after reading this thread I'm goin rotella 5-40 syn next time :D

API will say on the back. SL is what I use, M1 HM has 1000 PPM. SM is the standard now, its really low on ZDDP (becuase since the mid-90's most all new models use roller valve-trains, and don't really require anything over 300-400 PPM ZDDP), so if its SM, it has lower levels. As far as synthetic oil prices go, just head over to Wal Mart and get a 5qt container (Or two!) of Mobil 1 HM (If they have any, it sells pretty quick). I just got 7 quarts for $32. The 5qt container is only $20 or $21, so it breaks down to 4.15$ a quart, thats $1 more than Valvoline at Advance or AutoZone, thats pretty good.
The other premium synthetics at retail part stores are like 7.00 (royal purple) and AmsOil is around 5.50 per quart at the Fleet & Farm here. I think its funny that Wal Marts in-store brand SuperTec, has a line of full sythetics! What a waste!

Straight from the Shell customer service, makes my decision for me.

Dear customer:

Rotella T CJ-4 15W40 has a Zinc level of 1200ppm

Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 has a Zinc level of 1600ppm

Be aware that even though the antiwear level is high for Rotella oils, diesel engine oil formulations are different than engine oils for gasoline performance engines.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Xavier Henry
Technical Help Desk
Fuels & Lubricants
Shell Canada Products

Did you do the conversion from Canadian to US ppm?

:roll: :D :roflmao:

just kidding, thats some awesome ZDDP!!!

Today I e-mailed the following question to Shell, Kendall, and Valvoline:

Recently purchased 1989 Jeep Comanche. 4.0 inline 6 cyl motor, 95,050 miles. I have no idea what the previous owner used for oil in it, but it was well cared for. No present oil leaks. The owners manual calls for 10w-30 oil. I am concerned about this zddp business. What is the best oil that you can recommend for it. Thanks

The answers I received are below.

If you (or previous owner) have not modified the cam then the present oils ( Kendall High Performance GT-1 Synthetic Blend )10W-30 will provide sufficient protection. If you are still concerned and want the highest level of ZDDP use the Super D-XA 10W-30 which is a diesel engine oil.

Theres a warm place in my heart for convetional valvoline! I love that stuff, it has never let me down! But something with higher ZDDP in a flat-tappet engine is better.

Back