• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another... Build thread for an xj on 40s and one tons in norcal

CA law says if 50% of the tire is covered you don't need mud flaps I guess. not sure if thats true. or maybe it was fender flares. I dunno. I like it narrowed in the rear.

they're talking about 50% of the height not 50 percent of the width...

Looks good Jon. But I am deeply concerned with the fate of the Silverback (guess I need to check that thread). If this is your rig now, I really think you need to paint it silver / black / dark gray... and give it some silverback character!

Looks good Jon. But I am deeply concerned with the fate of the Silverback (guess I need to check that thread). If this is your rig now, I really think you need to paint it silver / black / dark gray... and give it some silverback

Dilemma:
Goodyear MTRs are 3 weeks out and 1000$ for 2.

pro comp xtreme MT2s 800$ for 2 and can be here in 2 days.

I had 35" pro comps xtreme mT2s for years and they were great. they are now made by maxxis, not cooper anymore.

from what I've read the 40" pro comps ride better on the freeway. what a tough call.

Lou said my tires where "Bouncing" on the freeway. which is exactly what it felt like in the wheel. looking for input from you guys

If I were buying a 40, it would have to be maxxis trepadors.

it seems like a waste to do otherwise.

If I were buying a 40, it would have to be maxxis trepadors.

it seems like a waste to do otherwise.

yeah thats what Dave at dave offered has been saying, radial treps.

but 2200$ shipped right now just seems like way too much. ill get the pro comps for 1530 shipped after rebate. ill try to get 600$ for my 40s, so thats about 930$.

700$ on top of that sounds rough.

I read that maxxis makes pro comp tires and the extreme MT2s are way better than older pro comps? I heard that since they are new to the 40" game they are keeping prices low at first?

I dunno. its a 700$ swing...

well, you can waste $1530 and have inferior products, or eat ramen for a month and get the good stuff. ;)

although I'd get the bias, not the radial. way better hookup.

well, you can waste $1530 and have inferior products, or eat ramen for a month and get the good stuff. ;)

although I'd get the bias, not the radial. way better hookup.

true. and a goo point. cut out eating out for a month and just do ramen and that would cover the difference...

I dunno how the radial would do on the freeway at 65mph?

true. and a goo point. cut out eating out for a month and just do ramen and that would cover the difference...

I dunno how the radial would do on the freeway at 65mph?

it would get there and back. throw a cup full of BB's in each tire to help them balance out once you're on the highway.

I am still leaning towards the pro comps for the price.

although radial treps are winning me over. I want to order whatever tires I choose by the end of the week.

I read that maxxis makes pro comp tires and the extreme MT2s are way better than older pro comps? I heard that since they are new to the 40" game they are keeping prices low at first?

I dunno. its a 700$ swing...

I can verify that Maxxis does make ProComp tires. A buddy of mine at work has 35's on his built Yota and the front two are Maxxis and rear two are pro comp and the tires are exactly the same. My other buddy just finally wore through his set of Maxxis 35's and they lasted him a long, long time and his rig was his DD. They seem like a good quality tire for the money.

Maxxis treps are a badass tire. My buddy mike has them in the 35" flavor on his CJ and they do work.

Yeah treps are good but 2200 is the total budget and that other 700$ will go towards fixing all the other issues.

Treps are awesome but they're only good if your rig is running properly. I'd save the $700 and use it to make sure it properly works first then get the tires later.

Treps are awesome but they're only good if your rig is running properly. I'd save the $700 and use it to make sure it properly works first then get the tires later.

thats the plan. get these now, and I am fixing hydro lines, hydro heims, steering heims, 3 link, rear leaves, anti rock, AC compressor, tune up, trim fenders, fix tcase linkage, rear hatch, bump stops, and a ton of other crap. it keeps adding up too.

I loved my pro comp MT2s at 35" for years.

Supposedly the MT2s do well on road in the 40s. right now the rig is all over the road with bad heims, wallowed out hydro mounts, bad hydro heims, bad pitman heim, soft suspension, etc. Looking to change that ASAP and I can always get new tires in a year or two or just run these

Dilemma:
Goodyear MTRs are 3 weeks out and 1000$ for 2.

pro comp xtreme MT2s 800$ for 2 and can be here in 2 days.

I had 35" pro comps xtreme mT2s for years and they were great. they are now made by maxxis, not cooper anymore.

from what I've read the 40" pro comps ride better on the freeway. what a tough call.

Lou said my tires where "Bouncing" on the freeway. which is exactly what it felt like in the wheel. looking for input from you guys

The tires had a lot of bounce on Soup Bowl this weekend that is for sure.

The tires had a lot of bounce on Soup Bowl this weekend that is for sure.

they were bouncing on the freeway. Lou took a video.

they were bouncing on the freeway. Lou took a video.

All that is true....but the tires you have now will last a little long and did well on the Con.

Maybe putting off the tire buy now and work on the other stuff first makes sense.

Then get the tires you know you will be happy with later while getting the hydro lines, hydro heims, steering heims, 3 link, rear leaves, anti rock, AC compressor (it is dam hot out now), fix tcase linkage (a must) and the rear bumper and spare tire carrier done now.

Just an idea.

Back