• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front "frame" build

i'm prerunning this weekend...

i'll be ready for the big dog run...what day is it?

mac 'the odds are against me but i will prevail' gyvr

Wed.

So, are you going to be ready for the big dog run?? :D

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0201.jpg

i have pics covering the rest of the build but I leave for Moab tommorrow and don't have time to update as I should...i will upon returning...including if the front end stayed together for the trip...

mac 'drive it like ya stole it' gyvr

NICE
looking forward to the final pics.

lookin good :) excited for more pictures as well

I promised an update with photos of some close ups of the end result of this step of build. Well tonight wrenching in the garage got done early, everyone else was busy, so I got a chance to hang with the dogs (ie drinking with them) and try to wrap this step up. There's probably going to be a bunch of photos. There is also going to be some pretty ugly welds. The welds survived moab and two trips locally since, so...they are still sticking no matter how ugly they are.

With pretty much two months before I was to leave for moab I was in bad shape. I pushed through with some awesome help from my local jeep friends and my thanks to them for not giving up.

Now done with the blah blah blah...on to the master piece in metal...lol ok my junk in one piece.

the pretty $300 drive shaft from the eaton (btw before you ask the rear axle is an eaton) to the atlas
DSCF0564.jpg

the whole build dealt with the front "frame" however for me it worked out that i was able to throw coilovers in the rear during the process
DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

i was also able to move the battery from under the hood to the back of the jeep
DSCF0544.jpg

DSCF0543.jpg

I'm a hack when it comes to 12 volt wiring...but I know someone that knows what's going on...got my switches looking stock and nice

DSCF0535.jpg

we were also able to get a stock radio in the buggy...with the xm radio going it sure made the tunes rocking in the middle of nowhere utah...

DSCF0529.jpg

btw, probably the best bang for the buck as far as durable head units out there

DSCF0530.jpg

got speakers mounted as well...(and found a place for the cooler)

DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

those atlas shifters sure do look gooooooooooooood

DSCF0528.jpg

got a steal on a steering wheel so i wouldn't have to keep staring at the airbagless stock one

DSCF0527.jpg

got to stay legal yo...keep the 5.0 from comin...

DSCF0526.jpg

tied the front bars into the a pillar and there is a welded plate to the body tied in as well

DSCF0525.jpg

we move on to the front...

to be continued...

cont...

front coilovers were tied in at the top...

DSCF0559.jpg

DSCF0549.jpg

even found a place to tie in the rock lights

DSCF0560.jpg

tied the air filter off to the removeable bar running between the coilover mounts

DSCF0557.jpg

found a place for the fuse box

DSCF0555.jpg

and the computer

DSCF0551.jpg

power steering pump installed and plumbed

DSCF0554.jpg

as well as the radiator and the fan

DSCF0553.jpg

here you can see some more of the tie in from the "frame" to the body and such

DSCF0550.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

found a place to nicely mount the power steering reservoir

DSCF0548.jpg

and trimmed the hood up

DSCF0547.jpg

DSCF0546.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

just one more post...

to be continued...

cont...

made a custom bracket for the windshield wiper reservoir to keep it in the stock location

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

got the psc hydro steering mounted and made a brace for it

DSCF0518.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

i didn't exactly plan it this way, but it worked out to make a way to tie the winch to the front end...and let me tell ya, its like cheating on the ledges

DSCF0516.jpg

built and bent my own custom track bar
DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

here's where the winch line comes out from the bottom as well as the support at the bottom of the radiator
DSCF0512.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

front end...branik hawse fairlead to come someday...
DSCF0509.jpg

and posing in the shop after the trip to moab
DSCF0508.jpg

DSCF0507.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

If there's some part of this mess that you want to see that I didn't post a photo, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

So unless I break this thing in half or something else proves itself to not work...I'm gonna say the XJ front "frame" build is complete...

mac 'ready for a true buggy build...with someone that can weld' gyvr

Nice, I dig it.

So how long til the first windshield replacement? :D

front windshield was first replaced in 2001 when i rolled the jeep the first time...if/when i destroy this one...i probably won't put one back in it...

mac 'though it helps on cold trail riding' gyvr

OUch,... My head kinda hurts now.. Each step/tube/area of work, looks like it was done prior to planning the next.

OuCh,.

OUch,... My head kinda hurts now.. Each step/tube/area of work, looks like it was done prior to planning the next.

OuCh,.

that's what happens when you build on an XJ chassis...

actually the back was done two years prior to the front, the tube work front to back i think looks pretty good IMHO...

the front was actually mapped out with a plan...

oh...and it works...surprisingly really well

mac 'i've lost direction with your comments' gyvr

OuCh,.

you dont exactly have a piece of fine art there buddy... :D :D
stp85688.jpg

stp85697.jpg

stp85688.jpg

stp85697.jpg

mac 'OuCh,.' gyvr

:confused1
Well i cant say much for mine at all. other then it was all done at one time and theres no 1" tubing tieing together nodes at odd angles and tube on top of tube and just kinda made to work.

most all of it was done to function first and keep as much XJ as possible without the body. I didnt see the reason to cut a unibody apart only to try and frame it, when theres so many framed rigs out there with stronger engines that would make it alot more functional with so much less work needed. But that was My approach. to each thier own. I was just saying that Ouch my head hurt over all the add on to add on to add on tube, gussetts, and parts.

:confused1
Well i cant say much for mine at all. other then it was all done at one time and theres no 1" tubing tieing together nodes at odd angles and tube on top of tube and just kinda made to work.

most all of it was done to function first and keep as much XJ as possible without the body. I didnt see the reason to cut a unibody apart only to try and frame it, when theres so many framed rigs out there with stronger engines that would make it alot more functional with so much less work needed. But that was My approach. to each thier own. I was just saying that Ouch my head hurt over all the add on to add on to add on tube, gussetts, and parts.

first off, where were you to help guide me with your wisdom when i was building the rig?

secondly, if you had read the entire 8 pages of this post you would know why some things were done the way that they were done. the stacked tube in the front matches what we did in the back, makes it strong and also makes it look good (at least me and my buddy thought). i built what i built because I hated the uniframe on the front. it was badly smoked from wheeling and the steering box was nearly torn out of the frame. plus i have a lot of time into this rig since i bought it completely stock in december of 1999 (almost 9 years ago to the day). plus...its different. and if anyone should understand that, it should be the people (like you) in this forum that are doing things to an XJ that no sane person should or would do.

oh, and the 1 inch tubes that you see that 'kind of' tie it all together, are bracing to tie it together. it has worked so far. i keep waiting for it to break in half, and it keeps holding together.

the goal of posting this thread was to show the progress, get suggestions along the way, and maybe guide some others if they do a similar project.

i'm gonna wheel this as much as I can as often as I can afford too. Next winter I'll start building a full tube chassis and take things that i've learned from this build into that build and make it better.

mac 'self admitted shady welds...so far are sticking' gyvr

Hey Mac, the part that's really going to suck is if you decide to clearance your rockers, and you end up cutting half your tube away and reworking it so it can come out the way you want. Just take like a month or two worth of work and throw it away. :rolleyes:

Hey Mac, the part that's really going to suck is if you decide to clearance your rockers, and you end up cutting half your tube away and reworking it so it can come out the way you want. Just take like a month or two worth of work and throw it away. :rolleyes:

yeah i'm not happy with the current rockers/rock rails on the rig. they took a beating on the passengers side in moab, not sure where it happened, but i think it was on lower helldorado. they were a temporary build about six years ago during the first generation rear coils and are made out of 'pipe' :gee: they are tied into the body and the steel connecting them to the frame and the body (its steel not pipe, only pipe is the actual bars themselves) are plenty strong to keep the roll cage together in the event of another roll...but i would love to cut them out and booger weld in some boxed steel...at this point i'd be suprised if it happened...

thanks for the reminder tho, that had actually slipped my mind...i thought i was done :)

mac 'a project is never done' gyvr

Back