• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front "frame" build

Been working my butt off on this thing and maxing out the credit cards (litterally) and at one point had 2k in parts in the company car (new 1350 driveshafts, complete psc hydro steering system, and a bunch of misc odd parts) yesterday.

My m8000 winch is delivered, just have to pick it up. Got coilovers mounted front and rear, the atlas is in and installed, including the shifters, the driveshafts are in, and the steering system is half installed. hoping the nail down the track bar tonight and the rest of the steering a long with some finish welding...

next up is the radiator and winch install.

had some good help this week and working too hard and fast to take pics. will try to get some taken over the weekend and post the progress.

mac 'its starting to come together' gyvr

Damn, you've got a lot left to do. I do not envy you. :D

Why do we do this to ourselves? This stuff always takes sooooo much longer than anticipated. I'm looking forward to seeing it up close.

i about to go out of my mind...

the way was going to install the winch isn't going to work, so i am going to redo that...i am going to have to buy a different radiator because it won't fit the way that wanted it too and it too big and tall...

the steering is in and installed, just needs burned in...

on a side note a buddy did do some cool switches and wiring in the inside that is using factor switches to run my fan and rock lights...and he's cleaning up 10 years worth of 12 volt wires running every which way...

i hope to put fire to it by mid next week...

and i'm running out of money...

mac 'maybe doing dishes at the local moab pub to pay for any trail breakage' gyvr

macgyvr said:
and i'm running out of money...

Welcome to the club. I've been a member for awhile and have pity on you.

Anyway, build is looking good.
Maybe I missed it, but what are the plans for the steering setup?

psc full hydro kit...with everything needed to make it work...if i get a few seconds i'll snap the picks of it installed...

it actually installed nicely...

mac 'steering IS important' gyvr

I promised more pics...got a second to slow down and snap a few tonight...

I just keep adding more and more tube...
DSCF0123.jpg

my winch mount...
DSCF0124.jpg

my winch...m8000 warn
DSCF0134.jpg

more tube and you can see the coilover mounts
DSCF0125.jpg

the money shot
DSCF0126.jpg

mo money shot
DSCF0127.jpg

coilover mounts in the rear...
DSCF0129.jpg

braced up rear coilover mounts in the rear...
DSCF0130.jpg

new 27x16 radiator came in today...figuring out where the tabs will be tigged...
DSCF0131.jpg

new front driveshaft...at 20 degrees it binds...i need 30 degrees...its going to soon meet my grinder as well as a tom woods off set ujoint that is ordered...
DSCF0135.jpg

recognize those twin sticks...
DSCF0136.jpg

starting to figure out where the battery is going...
DSCF0137.jpg

mac 'garage fabbin' gyvr

Nice tits.

Jeep looks good too.

Not bad for implants, Miss January is still my favorite for this year. :lickout:

The heep's not bad either...

:D

lesslimited said:
Not bad for implants, Miss January is still my favorite for this year. :lickout:

The heep's not bad either...

:D

thanks john for the calendar!!

mac 'told ya it would get hung up in the garage' gyvr

What, nobody bitching about the cement blocks? :) Looking great. I hope to see it in Moab while hitching a ride as mine isn't going to roll till who knows when. Jeff

yes sir, that is an eaton...

and they are pretty cool axles to work with...if people knew more about them, they would probably make it harder for me to have spare parts (which at this point i've never needed)...

so to keep them from being popular...they suck :roll:

mac 'most people say...is that a 9inch' gyvr

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
What, nobody bitching about the cement blocks? :) Looking great. I hope to see it in Moab while hitching a ride as mine isn't going to roll till who knows when. Jeff

the cement blocks haven't let me down yet...

i hope to see it in moab too ;) got the radiator installed last night, as well as some other little tube work and such...my goal is to have it sitting on its paws next week and put fire to it...

mac 'getting there' gyvr

got it started tonight...sitting on coilovers...with jack stands under axles only...not on concrete anymore...

pics to come

mac 'less than 3 weeks' gyvr

made some progress...

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

the pump for the exhaust brake on the diesel that had to be replaced this week...

DSCF0172.jpg

got to order a new ring and pinion...previous damage i suppose...

DSCF0177.jpg

DSCF0176.jpg

the hopefully cure for my front driveshaft woes...

DSCF0178.jpg

mac 'down to the nitty gritty' gyvr

I'm no expert in this, but my radiator guy recommends that the thing be mounted between rubber somehow and kind of allowed to float. I can see those tabs welded to yours eventually flexing enough to crack the weld and perhaps make the radiator leak. Who knows though, it might be just fine for a long time. You got any good shots of the motor mounts you built? Jeff

no radiator guy in his right mind would reccommend mounting with tabs on the end like that. i ran a bar along the bottom of the front 'frame' btw the tubes to help support the radiator as well. my rock racing buddies have been munting radiators like mine for years w/o a problem...we'll see i guess...

i'll try to take a pic of the motor mounts next time the camera is out.

mac 'eat, sleep, wrench' gyvr

So, are you going to be ready for the big dog run?? :D

i'm prerunning this weekend...

i'll be ready for the big dog run...what day is it?

mac 'the odds are against me but i will prevail' gyvr

Back