• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WOHOO! Learning to weld!!!! (few questions)

I'm also a beginner welder. This weekend I welded on some sway bar bracket extensions from ORGS along with a set of Mini-Skids for the CAs. The welds are strong, but not real pretty! :cool:
I'm in a class at the community college, and I'm getting better every week. I borrowed a Miller 135amp from the school for the weekend projects, and it worked great! I came in and told mama "I NEED one of these!" ;)

goggles??? I use em with the torch, but not with anything electric. I also have never seen anything but a full face shield for arc or mig. I'd make real sure you're using the proper eyewear.

I know I know, using a helmet next time.
Any tips on welding horizontally? My welds vertically downward are looking good, getting a pretty bead on a flat surface is prioving to be much harder, though the penetration is good.

Don't go vertical down on anything other than a cosmetic weld. Go cut your welds in half and you'll see that you're not getting the penetration you think you are. When I do vertical, I go up running a small bead and then run back down over it to make it look purdy. You can make a good looking and strong vertical up weld, but you have to get good at pulsing.

Oh yeah, one of the best investments I've made so far has been a leather welding jacket. You'll understand when you're laying directly under what you're welding. Plus I don't have any more little burn holes in my arms anymore from wearing flannel and just letting it burn through.

Back