• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who's got a mini cooper?

Kejtar said:
If I could get my hands on one I'd take it in a heartbeat! (at a reasonable price though)
yeah, it was weet, it was mustard yellow with black racing stripes and black checkboard on top. He wanted 8700 and it had a little rust and needed a litlle work. but it was turboed with short shift. it was weet, i just didnt have the money!

afd516 said:
I ran one over once. I thought it was a speed bump at first. :)

They are cool cars. I would be interested in one if I did not need the room.

I am surprised you caught it. Got a freind who has a base couper and he takes corners at 70 without a hint of a problem. Tops out at 130. So it not that far behind the couper s, but still would like the S. Always gotta have more power. Wonder what the S engine would do in an xj????? hhhhmmmmm

rock rash said:
yeah, it was weet, it was mustard yellow with black racing stripes and black checkboard on top. He wanted 8700 and it had a little rust and needed a litlle work. but it was turboed with short shift. it was weet, i just didnt have the money!
Weet, dude!

Pogiboy said:
I am surprised you caught it. Got a freind who has a base couper and he takes corners at 70 without a hint of a problem. Tops out at 130. So it not that far behind the couper s, but still would like the S. Always gotta have more power. Wonder what the S engine would do in an xj????? hhhhmmmmm

The engine in the cooper and cooper s is a design by Chrysler in the late 90's that actually uses a hemi head (albeit 4 cylinders). It puts out real nice horsepower in the 4-6500 rpm range, but was designed for a 2500 pound car, it needs to rev to make good power. Might be fun in a lightweight buggy, but not a 4500 pound XJ.
Unfortunately, after the Daimler buyout, BMW couldn't wait to get a "mercedes" engine out of one of their cars and as soon as the contract expired, signed up Peugot to make the next generation of Mini powerplants.
Lets hope they build engines better than transmissions. Rumor has it the S is going from 160 horse to 180 with a turbo instead of a supercharger.

87manche said:
hey hey, glad you found the thread.
Anyway, I can attest that his 24 year old brother also smiles when you hear the supercharger whine, but the smile promptly turns to another lok when you take a gravelly corner at 135 and feel the stability control kick in.

I can't believe you're still whining about that turn, we didn't even get airborne like I did with the minister from mom and dad's church.

Here is the copy of the PM I sent Remi, if anyone else is interested. My philosophy is that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow (and a lot cheaper too)

We race two Cooper S. the 2003 is setup to run in track and road racing, and the 2005 is strictly for ProSolo and autocross. I also drive a 2006 Cooper S with the JCW kit (not JC Whitney, John Cooper Works) that is owned by my codriver.

The Mini is a very fun car to drive. My 2003 has 10K miles on it, and it saw a fair amount of use as a daily driver when I first owned it. The Mini is like a go-kart for the street. It handles very well.

I was surprised at the room inside, I am 6'2" and I can fit in the car and still clear my helmet. Of course there is not much room in the rear seats when the fronts are back. But you could fit 4 adults into the car for short jouneys no problem.

MPG - the car easily gets in the mid 20's even driven fairly aggressively. I have seen 40mpg on a 250 mile roadtrip to Nebraska at 75mph. Driven hard you still get around low 20's. On track we see low teens. by comparison the WRX STi gets 5mpg at the track.

I would avoid Brecht Mini in Escondido - we had terrible service there in March when we needed help while on a racing trip to Fontana. Shop around the country for a Mini - don't rely on your local dealer only. I bought my first one here in Denver after being on the waiting list 18months. When we wanted the 2005 they told me it would take 6 months. The dealer in St Louis (talk to Kyle Petty there - tell him I sent you) had one to me 3 months later. It was one of the very first models with a LSD. We had the car exactly ten days before we headed to CA to go racing. It won it's first 3 national events.

You can go online to MiniUSA.com and spec the Mini any way you choose. The website rocks and is a great way to decide which options work best for you (or which ones you can afford) It is also really neat that once you have a production number for your car you can follow it being built in the factory and track it being deliverd to the USA.

Although the basic Cooper S starts at about $21K I see Mini's at the local dealer in Denver marked over $40K

If you intend competing in autocross with your Mini I advise you to attend a few local events first and talk to the Mini owners there. If you intend being competitive, you need to order the Mini with certain options.

Our 2005 has the LSD and zero other options. Keep it light by avoiding the auto climate control, no sunroof, no premium wheels, no leather - but talk to some of your local Mini owners. One of popular mods is to change the supercharger pulley. If you intend competing with your Mini avoid doing this. It bumps you from a competitive class to Street Modified which is the domain of $100 000 BMW's.

Good resources include - MINIUSA.com, NAM (northamericanmotoring.com), SCCA.com (find the link to your local region). Not sure if you are near San Diego but the local club there is SCAT (Southern Cali autocross team) . We are sponsored by Webbmotorsports in the Cooper Works mini, the owner is Randy Webb, tell him Grant Barclay sent you.

HTH ask if you have questions

hehehehe they aren't for sale .... one I've owned since 1990 .... the other I picked up about 4 years ago that one is an old race car still working on it though getting it street legal and reliable enough for a daily driver ....

Austin-Mini-Cooper-Sport-red-f-lr.jpg

Here ya go!

GSequoia said:
Holly city driving her Cooper S convertable automatic averages some 25 +/-. The last time I took it on a commute I averaged 28 +/-. The last time we took it far if I recall I got some 35 +/-, been awhile... The coupe should get better mileage.

THAT was the funniest sight...seeing you drive up to Remi's house in that Mini convertible. What kind of mileage do you get after loading the poor thing up with Jeep parts?

xjohnnyc said:
THAT was the funniest sight...seeing you drive up to Remi's house in that Mini convertible. What kind of mileage do you get after loading the poor thing up with Jeep parts?

Bah, tha was nothing Johnny. You should've seen it when I went to mecahnically rescue my father.

My big black tool box in the back strapped down in the boot (90 lbs +/-), two jack stands, stand up light, coveralls, milk crate filled to the brim and over with extra tools and safety gear, one coiled air hose, 10lb CO2 tank, some other crap. Basically I had the entire boot filled, the passenger foot well filled, and the back seat about 2/3 filled.

The Mini still moved though :D Much faster than my Jeep currently does!

Back