• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which rock rails....

At least I now know what companies not to recommend. I didn't fancy those two anyways... they just even seem that strong from the advertised pictures.

Jes said:
A couple I'd stay away from...
Olympic4X4...
picture.JPG

C4X4...
picture.JPG

I recommend JKS Supernerfs as a good bolt-on option.

Just wondering (I have C4X4 rails) how when the C4X4 rails and the JKS rails both use the same mounting system what makes the JKS ones better? JKS attaches to the pinch weld at 5 places and C4X4 attaches at 6. Both attach to the "frame" at four places. I'm just curious.

On a side not how can I attach the legs to the "frame" other than using self-tappers. I'm not sleeving yet, but I was thinking of running long bolts through and putting thick pieces of meta on each side sandwhiching the "frame". Would this work? Ideas and pics welcome.

PAXJ said:
Just wondering (I have C4X4 rails) how when the C4X4 rails and the JKS rails both use the same mounting system what makes the JKS ones better? JKS attaches to the pinch weld at 5 places and C4X4 attaches at 6. Both attach to the "frame" at four places. I'm just curious.

On a side not how can I attach the legs to the "frame" other than using self-tappers. I'm not sleeving yet, but I was thinking of running long bolts through and putting thick pieces of meta on each side sandwhiching the "frame". Would this work? Ideas and pics welcome.

No, they do not use the same mounting system.
Supernerfs fit tight against the rocker panel for their entire length which is what keeps them from crushing the rocker panel in(and from twisting).

I wouldn't recommend through bolting anything to the "frame" rails as they'll just crush unless you use sleeves for the bolts.

PAXJ said:

You could do the sandwiching with a plate on the other side, but you will want to have crush sleeves that run through the unibody to keep from sandwiching the rail too much and crushing it.

I've got rocky road outfitters rr, Same setup pinchwelds and legs to sub frame- they are very stong, I've drop off stuff and landed on rock very hard no dents(1/4" inner hitch steel) i bought the ones that are flush w/rockers, I've since added a second rail that extends out as far as my tires to use as a pivot point(and a step) as far as using plates, the only problem w/ that is w/o some kind of stiffener between the uni body rails you have to be carefull not to clamp to tight. I have plates where my longarms attach & they have tubes welded on one side of plate that extend through uni-body to the other plate to keep from overtightening on uni-rails.

Soul said:
I LOVE my AJ super squares and I would recommend them to anyone..
I thought AJ went out of business.

I really dig the www.DETOURSUSA.com rock-slyders / unibody stiffeners....
xjuni01_lrg.jpg

Although these are in the prototype stage I also like the looks and mounting of these (with an outter tube)...
100_1082.jpg

100_1074.jpg

pm1 - since everybody who hasn't had a rockrail damage their rocker YET thinks theirs are great, please tell us what type of wheeling you do. It's probably just as important for rockrails as it is for gearing, axles, lockers, lift, tires, etc.

Old_Man - where is the rockrail sticky? :)

Yea, AJ is still making rock rails, he basically just stopped making bumpers unless you beg him, from what it sounds like. So far my rails have been taking a nice beating, no rocks yet but I have landed on stumps and hit trees with them, I love how the super squares stick out! :)
I will go out on some rocks soon enough and then I will let you know how they really hold up.

Poor Man's 4x4 Fabrication

That is the site, here is a pic of the rails...
rails001.jpg

They are 1.5x.125 Square tube, they attach to the pinch seam with 5 1/4" bolts and 4 self tapping bolts on each leg to the "frame".
But they can be made thicker or with a larger diameter based on customer's wishes...

Last edited:
pm1 said:
Welp. Ended up getting AJ's rails. They are supposed to ship today...
good to hear he is still in business. might have to sell my RRO and buy osme of his

ajs rails are freaking awesome.. i got the super rock rails.. the mounting system is awesome.. and the design is great.. i am very happy with the purchase i made

Back