• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker should i get?

my question, is there really a benefit to the hardened cross shaft that spartan sends over a new OEM cross shaft? if the carrier were stronger, then a case could probably be made for that.

on a insert locker application, I would say yes there is a benefit. The locker material is significantly harder then the spicer gears that typically ride on the stock shaft. so it being hardened and new, I would say is a good thing.

BUT the question of, is a stock shaft hardened, asked many times in the past, is still not black and white. Some say they are, some say not.

In any case. You just dont want a shaft that has gouging and wear showing.

Benefit to the new cross shaft that comes with the spartan? Last I checked free was still less than $13. Not to mention the spartan is still cheaper. Pay more get less?

Benefit to the new cross shaft that comes with the spartan? Last I checked free was still less than $13. Not to mention the spartan is still cheaper. Pay more get less?

actually, the spartan costs more than the aussie. more than 13$ more.

Wow. I can't think of anything easier than installing an Aussie!!
the little holes in sides and the wires to hold the the pins make it a lot easier to assemble everything and get it in the carrier.

Guess the price of Spartans has gone up a bit, I paid 234 shipped last year and couldn't find an Aussie under $280. I would say they are about equally priced now.

I got my aussie direct from them for 250 shipped, sold it brand new for 240 shipped. the spartan is closer to 275.

after having set up a few of each, if I were doing it again the extra 25$ is well worth the convenience.

Just curious for those of you who installed the locker in the rear, did it affect your mileage at all?

youre kidding right ive seen atleast a dosen of them installe in a variaty of axles and NONE worked corectly.....
That's because they're not real lockers but, clutch type limited slips that use an electromagnet to compress the clutch pack to prevent slippage......no real mechanical lock up.

Under a really high load situation (big aired down tires, low gears) they can/will still slip and allow independent wheel spin.....bought a used ARB for my D30 for $250 :D

That being said, Aussies have a very good reputation.

I had a Lock Rite in my Toyota for several years but, broke the stock cross pin and have recently picked up a Spartan to replace it...the Spartan has huge (compared to the Aussie and Lock Rite) shear pins and looks to be a lot easier to install.....either one should be fine.

Hans

Guess the price of Spartans has gone up a bit, I paid 234 shipped last year and couldn't find an Aussie under $280. I would say they are about equally priced now.

except you haven't been able to buy a aussie for 6mo and its not clear when they are coming back in stock.

99% of the time the u-joint or yoke ears will fail first.
80% of the time it will be on the drivers side.

Clean/lube the unit bearing mating surfacfe while its apart. Carry a 36mm socket, and a 12pt 13mm (I find a gear wrench works well) along with whatever you need to remove your brakes. Bring a few short sided spares, and don't worry about it. It only takes me about 30 mins now to swap them out on the trail.

Any of the lunch box lockers work great on 33s, shafts will fail at the ears before the locker does , even then it took me 3 years before shaft falure on 33s

99% of the time the u-joint or yoke ears will fail first.
80% of the time it will be on the drivers side.

this

unless you are running Chromos and CTMs...or RCVs :viking:

Hey everyone. Need HELP

I bought a used lunch box locker earlier this year from someone on NAXJA. When i finally got around to getting it installed it did not work right. It was loud on some turns and all U turns in 2wd, and in 4wd my god was it loud( Bang Bang Bang). I took the jeep to Big Bear last weekend for its first big tip and i thought my diff was going to explode. Every time i got to a rock to go over the locker would slip and the wheels would not move and there was this loud bang. It almost felt as if in some spots i was doing it in 2wd. I heard it pop at least 1000 times in 6 hours of 4x4ing. A few older Jeepers told me that that sound is not good... something is wrong or broken. I had the locker installed by a professional when i had it re geared.
What would cause this? Springs bad? Teeth rounded out? Or is it suppose to be this loud?
And how do i know what brand it is?
Thanks

perhaps your pins are bent. you can buy a pin and spring kit. there should be a part number on the locker, or you can pull it out and take a pic and maybe someone can identify it for you.

perhaps your pins are bent. you can buy a pin and spring kit. there should be a part number on the locker, or you can pull it out and take a pic and maybe someone can identify it for you.

The only # stamped in the locker insert is: 85037

Here is what it looks like:
locker_zps08f0b380.jpg

Is this a Detroit E-Z locker?

Back