• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHICH HEADER

papacan

NAXJA Forum User
I know of the big boys like Banks,Borla & etc, but for PRICE has anybody got any input on Pacesetter Headers,good,bad or ? It's hard to tell by what they show you. I have a 90' Cherokee, 4.0L,auto, THANKS

The most bang for you buck I would get the painted pacesetters. If you got the money go with borla.

If you have a 2000 up your only choice is Banks, could not find anyone else who makes one. With the pre-cats head pipe and four O2 sensors.

Banks! Only one recommended by Exhuast Pro's here in Denver...
Got mine from 4 wheel parts for $416 OTD....

Hands down the best performance, and quality is from www.CliffordPerformance.net. Get it coated, buy the Y pipe, and make sure it gets a stainless steel flex joint www.autopn.com on it. It will allow the engine to move and keep the header from cracking. Hope this helps. :)

hemihead said:
If you have a 2000 up your only choice is Banks, could not find anyone else who makes one. With the pre-cats head pipe and four O2 sensors.
un true the Doug Thorley header is offered for 00 and 01 as well, and I'm pretty sure that its 20001/2s that started with the precats so u may not have them...

heres a good link check it out

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/exhaust.html

good luck!

Last edited:
Dont go Pacesetter, Its more work then its worth and it never really fits right and you will be buying more parts to get it to fit anyways...

The Pacesetter isn't a bad header, it just looks bad after the paint chips off. But it is the best header for the money. It has reasonably long tubes that enhance part throttle and low rpm torque.

Banks all the way. Easy install and killer fit.
banks_jeep020.jpg

banks_jeep027.jpg

phil do u have any other exhaust mods??

i have a magnaflow hi flow cat, flowmstr 40, and a mandrel bent pipe and was wondering how it would sound with the edition of headers?

I love mine.
I went from a cracked stock header and stock pipe etc...and had the stock "log" or square Intake manifold as well.
Replaced the Intake and exhaust manifolds at the same time.
Kept the injectors and rails and havnt moved the MAT sensor to the intake box yet. But!

I have the Banks Header, Intake manifold from a 2000 and 2.5" pipe all the way out to the Vmax cat back muffler turn down and angle cut tip. Kept the stock high flow cat [saved me $$$] The guy at that Exhaust Pros used to "race Jeeps back in the day" and said that banks was the only header he had heard of that he would recommend. He said that Borlas WILL crack...
How does it feel to drive it now??
Awesome, absolutly wonderfull. Crisp throttle and fast, really fast off the line but it gets better whenever i am driving i can get heavy on the skinny and it will take off .. I have since added an Airflow Snorkle and installed it Per Gojeeps recommendation and it really really takes if at around 25MPH i can throttle and it kicks will really go.. Did i say that it goes fast ???

Anyways i have the following set up

1997 4.0 I6 Sport 130Miles
285/75/R16, 4.5" bastard lift
Front warn bumper and rear BPI tire carrier
Roof rack, Rockers
Point is my curb weight is about 4500#,
Shes heavy
but now agile.. all i have to do now is regear and lock
Aaron

I am more than satisfied with my Borla setup with a Magnaflow cat. It's 2.25" until the muffler and then 2" for the tailpipe.

papacan said:
has anybody got any input on Pacesetter Headers,good,bad or ? It's hard to tell by what they show you. I have a 90' Cherokee, 4.0L,auto, THANKS
I have a 1990 4.0, AX-15 manual, and I got a painted Pacesetter header about two weeks ago. Aside from the nasty smell and the smoke that was caused by the paint burning off, I'm satisfied with them. I had a cracked manifold before, and a hole in the downpipe, and my muffler didn't really muffle, so I can't really compare it to a stock exhaust in good shape. It did make a difference in power though. It made a noticeable increase in acceleration from low RPMs. I've gone through three tanks of gas since it was installed, and have gotten about 1.8 MPG better than my average before the header. The only other thing I don't like about it (besides the smell) is that the O2 sensor has to be moved. On mine, the wiring to the sensor ended up going down along a UCA, and then going across the front axle. There didn't seem to be another place to put it.

ROBERTK said:
Dont go Pacesetter, Its more work then its worth and it never really fits right and you will be buying more parts to get it to fit anyways...

What pacesetter set-up did you use and what extra parts did you have to buy? On my 98 everything fit, I just used some muffler cement on all the compression joints and everything sealed up nicely. It does put my cat and muffler on a downward slope, I think thats a good winter project, tuck the whole system up higher, but everything bolted up fine. Just remember to use the offset washers when bolting the header up.

91 Jeep Project said:
I'd love to see a picture of a 2002 XJ if you could dig one up................:thumbup:

that would be 2000 and ONE HALF as in half way through the model year...sorry it does look like 01 and 02 but im not that retarded...i may be a F**K tard but come one:D

Back