• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to go Wheeling near Maryland?

Cowmanche

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently moved to the DC area. Lived in Cincinnati, OH, I would always head down to Tellico, Harlan Co Ky, and places like that. I was wondering what the closes places are with good trails?

You will find that most people on this board will not just openly share their wheeling spots on a public forum. This is because most of the trails are becoming over used and destroyed by a lot of idiots.

Best bet would be to join up with a club, (i.e. the one you are on right now), and they will have local wheeling resources. Or you could find a couple people on this club website that are local and get in touch with them.

Maryland Jeep Club
Maryland Rock Raiders
Maryland Creepers

to name just a few. Do some looking around in those clubs, maybe join a few. Most have members in your area, and they do meet and greets fairly regularly. Our main spot to go is Rausch Creek. Anywhere else is someones private land and sort of "by invite only".

Cowmanche said:
I just recently moved to the DC area. Lived in Cincinnati, OH, I would always head down to Tellico, Harlan Co Ky, and places like that. I was wondering what the closes places are with good trails?

i used to live in Gaithersburg, MD (Darnestown to be specific)

my friends and i went out to Poolesville to go wheelin. it was more fields with mudpits that my friends owned, but u can fine trails and stuff out in that direction

I'm more into the rocks and technical stuff. Just trying to find some people in the area to meet and get to know.

im in DC too, we go to green ridge state forest in western MD, not technical by any means but it is a trail

Does anyone around here ever meet up anywhere? I would like to meet some jeep people. but they seem few and far between.

id be down for a meet and greet theres another guy on base form naxja that would probly come

I checked out rausch creek's website. Im guessing the green trails are easy, blue is a little tougher and black and red are difficult?

I have a 2 inch budget lift with 31's and open diffs..you think I'll be alright on the blue and green trails? I've never been offroad before so I'd be breaking my 4x4 cherry, but I'd probably go with a large group such as Maryland Jeep club. What do you guys think?

I'm in most of the clubs previously mentioned. Legal wheeling in MD is limited to green ridge and assateague island. green ridge is pretty easy and not worth the drive in my opinion. Assateague is a beach and need a 4x4 permit to drive on it but isn't really for "wheeling".

I wheeled rausch with a BB and 31's for a while, greens got kinda boring after 2 hours the first morning of wheeling. Their greens are like dirt roads. Blues have a few more things like stumps and rocks.

There is also crozet down in VA to wheel. Info for there can be found here. http://forums.xjsrule.com/

In the Aberdeen area. PM me. I am all in for a local meet and great. I was in the MWC for a long time before the relo to MD. BIG diff between the two.

Last edited:
look up nova jeepers.

there are a bunch of trails you could run in va. gwnf is the closest spot to dc that has some real trails. its about 1 hour from nova.

rc is the best bet, always open(except for deer season), and always challenging!

hey Cowmanche. I live in Fredneck too. Green ridge is boring (Unless you find yourself 3 feet away from a TMBER RATTLER !). One J33P club is supposed to meet at Ledo's pizza off Jefferson st on first Tuesday of month. They didn't show last month though. Runnin' 4.5" lift , 33's and a beard.

the gwnf trails are a easy green if there is no ice. there is a pay to play park in crozet. members only club now, they do have open rides were you can sign up. the trails aren't as long but they are very technical. you are never to far from camp so spares are an easy grab.

can't find the link right now, google crozet,va

Back