• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do?

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I've been itching to get back in the game, and I need a second rig anyway, so I've been thinking to myself : "what should I do?" So I wanna know what would YOU do?

Ive been looking at Explorers and XJ's. Would you get one already built, or buy a stocker to build the way you want it?

Get one and build it up Nick you know you want to that's half the fun.

XJ's are cheaper, you already know them inside and out.. get one ...

build one.. come wheel with us..

I would buy one and build it. That way you know whats on it, and whats been done to it. You don't end up with a frankin rig..

Man if we had the money I would get that from you for our oldest daughter. She is getting her license soon here and has talked about wanting one.

Building is definitley a bonding moment for you and your jeep but buying one built is always cheaper. You can easily spend 20k on a jeep that would be worth 10k. "The way you want it" is hardly relevant, all offroad enthusiasts build with the same goal. Some prioritize differently but that's about the extent of it. If it has something you don't like pull it off sell it and buy the part you want.

Be patient and keep your eyes open, and you'll find the one for you.

I would suggest buying something that is already built as close to how you would build it as you can. Then wheel it a few times to find out its weeknesses and then build from there. Give it all new ujoints bushings and rod ends. Fix the things that need fixing and set it up the rest of the way you want it. You could buy a stock xj and build it from scratch. Possitive side is knowing that everything done to it is done right the first time. Negitive side to building from scratch is it will most likely cost you way more than you paid for it to begin with. I would make sure that the motor is as strong as possible then the tranny and drivetrain then the modifications for lift and so on. Having a lifted locked and armored xj with a tired worn motor is no fun.(ask me how I know) having one that is in top mechanical form then building it into a trail tough rig is priceless.
Just my $.02

Back