• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" axle seals....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I'm ba-aaack! 🤪

Been quite some time since I've been on this forum. Stepped away from XJ/MJs but recently had the opportunity to buy back a rig I had back in 2011-2012....I now get to finish it as the past 4-5 owners really didn't change it much.

My first issue is that the Ford 9" needs rear axle seals. Looks to have a non-stock rear disc setup so I'm looking for info and advice on how to do these and where to get the seals.

Gotta be a writeup here or somewhere someone knows about and can steer me to...:)?

story.php

story.php

Wish I could help on the technical question, but that's a bit outside my wheelhouse.

That said, welcome back!

The brakes shouldn't have any influence on the seals!

On the Ford 9 inch the seal goes on the axle shaft then the bearing gets pressed on. this is NOT an easy job. The brakes would be disassembled, backing plate and bolts removed and the axles should slide out. It is a non C-clip axle. Just bank on new axle shaft bearings while you're in there. Good luck and welcome back!

I think a 12ton press can handle the axle bearings. If not a slide hammered fubar contraction. May work

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I usually end up cutting off the wedding ring that holds the seal and bearings on with a cut off wheel to get really close to the shaft then a chisel to split that open enough to slide off. Definitely start with a pair of $20 Amazon dial calipers and measure bearing pocket ID, and the size of the shaft where the wedding ring press fits on. There are a few different years of housings and shafts that have different measurements. There are charts floating around on hot rod forums with part numbers.

Often times it's a Timken Set 20 bearing and seal set.

Back