• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

I spent half the day hinting in the local junk yard. Got some odds and ends.

used mine to rescue my friends Chevy 4x4 Silverado truck, the same truck that rescued my jeep last year, LOL.

Car-ma Indeed

He thought he had lost the transmission and had it towed to tranny shop. I drove him over Sunday to double check (he still had the key), he had actually lost the rear end diffy. It works fine in 4WD mode using the front axle, so he drove it home and I followed. LOL!! In 2WD thhe speedo reads 10 mph at idle foot on the brake and rear driveshaft just spins away. It think he damaged it a week ago stuck deep in mud, and then finally sheared something in the diffy hot rodding.

e5u4y5ah.jpg

Hover jeep activate!

Been thinking about replacing the axle seals and bearings when I do the ball joints since I'll basically have the whole front axle apart anyways. Hmm...

Been thinking about replacing the axle seals and bearings when I do the ball joints since I'll basically have the whole front axle apart anyways. Hmm...

Do you know how to them? I get the impression the gear box reassembly is tricky, and the seals are replaced from deep inside the gear box of the diffy on the front axle.

Do you know how to them? I get the impression the gear box reassembly is tricky, and the seals are replaced from deep inside the gear box of the diffy on the front axle.

Its not too bad. I've done it a couple times. Make sure you get the new ones in straight, and dont tear the boots putting the axles back in, or they'll leak.

I like to throw the outer seals on at the same time (to keep water out) since they also help stop leaks.

It was something about adjusting lash with shims, and run out, that I read about. Maybe that is just for changing gears, regearing? I have not had to pull gears in a diffy before, but I have friend that is about to on his Silverado 4x4 truck. Something in his sheared this week end. He can still drive it using the front axle in 4x4 mode, but the rear axle just spins with out moving the tires now in 2WD. Neither one of us had to fix one before, so I might need some input. It looks like an everyday, LARGE rear axle.

Jeep wont start. Awesome.

Its not too bad. I've done it a couple times. Make sure you get the new ones in straight, and dont tear the boots putting the axles back in, or they'll leak.

I like to throw the outer seals on at the same time (to keep water out) since they also help stop leaks.

I've never done it, which is why I think it might be a good time to do it.

Jeep wont start. Awesome.

Battery? NSS?

I've never done it, which is why I think it might be a good time to do it.

Battery? NSS?

I don't have an NSS ;)

Cranks, no start. No fuel at rail. Looks like fuel pump.

Shop called

Crank Position Sensor, just as I thought it would be.

I don't have an NSS ;)

Cranks, no start. No fuel at rail. Looks like fuel pump.

Of course. You and your 5 speed. Haha. Derp.

Mines probably due for a CPS at some point too. Planning on finishing my girlfriends Mini this week or weekend so I can have my garage back to put the Jeep in and tear apart.

Back