• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Also installed a dome-light override switch so I can turn the interior lights off when the doors are left open while working on the Jeep, or camping, or whatever.

No more running down the battery while working on the Jeep all day with the doors open.

IMG_6358.jpg

I REALLY like that winch setup :) any chance you could send or post the wiring and how you did it? Is it necessary to use relays? roger at edoctec.net

Sorry but I'm not familiar with you or your truck :( would like to see both at the next run :)

I REALLY like that winch setup :) any chance you could send or post the wiring and how you did it? Is it necessary to use relays? roger at edoctec.net

This is a copy of the diagram I keep in the glove box. I tend to suffer from old-timers disease, so I have to keep stuff documented or I'll never remember what I did or why. :looser:

XJWinchWiringDiagram.gif

Sorry but I'm not familiar with you or your truck :( would like to see both at the next run :)

Likewise -- I'm always looking for an opportunity to get the tires dirty, and would love to meet some of you NAXJA folks.

Great and thanks... the link you posted the switches say you need the boxes??? What did you get and any reccommendation on what I should get?

Great and thanks... the link you posted the switches say you need the boxes??? What did you get and any reccommendation on what I should get?

They mean that the quoted price ($5.00) is for the rocker (plastic actuator) only; it does not include the switch body, which you have to order separately. And and you can choose the type of switch you want for your application, which depends upon how you want it to work and how you want it to look.

In my case, they didn't have the switches I wanted in stock at the time, so I ordered them from Allied Electronics (since they're local, and I can pick up my order the same day at their Will Call counter).

So, I ordered the rockers from OTRATTW:

Winch Power
Winch In/Out (note that I asked them to put OUT on top, and IN on bottom)

And ordered the switches (which come with generic, unlabeled rockers) from Allied:

Winch Power
Winch In/Out

Also note that these switches come with a green LED in the upper position (independently wired), and an amber LED in the lower position (which is hard wired to come on when the switch is in the UP position). I replaced them with LEDs more to my liking. It's a bit tedious, but not all that hard.

Oh, and if you plan to do much swapping of rockers between switch bodies, I highly recommend you spend the $2.75 on the rocker (actuator) removal tool. It's cheaper than having to replace even 1 broken rocker -- and makes the whole process faster and easier.

Last edited:
Jeep needs ball joints. I know what Im doing this weekend!

Raneil, thanks for all the info on the winch... I will order tonight. So when can you install them for me? ;) :)

Actually I'd like the info on where you tapped in to cutoff the interior lights? Them coming on while camping has always bugged me :)

Raneil, thanks for all the info on the winch... I will order tonight. So when can you install them for me? ;) :)

Actually I'd like the info on where you tapped in to cutoff the interior lights? Them coming on while camping has always bugged me :)

This was done on a '98; your rig may be different.[/DISCLAIMER]

I broke the interior illumination ground wire at the Junction Block (passenger footwell), C7, Pin 7. The FSM says it's a yellow wire with a white tracer. Mine was just yellow, no tracer.

IMG_6330-Edit.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

Now, this works only with the passenger compartment lights; it does not override the cargo area light, as it's grounded downstream of the splice made above. But it also has its own override switch, so if you don't mind having to flip two switches, you're done!

Then again if you're like me, you can only live with that until the next day when you realize that you simply cannot tolerate the indignity of having to operate two switches. Seriously. :rolleyes:

So... I had to string a replacement ground wire from the cargo area light to the Junction Block, and splice it into one of the wires pictured above that had been so neatly tucked away just the day before (the one that goes into connector C7). But it was worth the effort; now it works perfectly with just the new switch on the dash.

Last edited:
My efan kit is here. About to go start putting it in.

Went to put the efan kit in and the rubber mounts on top of the radiator for the support/cover piece won't unbolt. Guess the rubber piece holding the bolt going through it broke away so the bolt just spins when you try to loosen the nut. Not sure how to get them off now.

Today I learned that NOBODY carries the isolator pads in store.

So Since I Installed The Stock Efan That Jeep Never Did, (To A Switch) Not Once Have I Overheated. The Weird Thing Is I Have Yet To Turn It On......... Wtf...... Its Like It Has Magic Cooling Abilities Even When Its off

So Since I Installed The Stock Efan That Jeep Never Did, (To A Switch) Not Once Have I Overheated. The Weird Thing Is I Have Yet To Turn It On......... Wtf...... Its Like It Has Magic Cooling Abilities Even When Its off

LMOA!!!! Just like a JEEP!!!

Turn it on and see if it boils over, LOL.

Back