• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

installed a new powersteering line this morning before work, then took off and reinstalled the line at work cause it was still blowing fluid all over the engine. now its good.

and after thanksgiving i'll be taking delivery of a J20 :D

I love J Trucks! Details?

Secomd new rotor on the front and I have pretty good brakes. Still need to solve the mushy peddle.

Replaced my t-stat since I had a feeling my last one was stuck open. Jeep warms up much faster now, and the heater is working better too.

I need to do a full coolant flush though, stuff's nasty. Coolant sucks to dispose of though.

I just remember last time I did it I could not find anyone who would take used coolant

that was in Cali though...

IIRC, I think Autozone takes it in the same tank as their oil and transmission fluid in Texas.

Antifreeze used to have Hex chromium in it ages ago. Which is why it was so bad. What they don't tell you is that today's antifreeze is biodegradable. Some of the info below is just plane wrong, like lead in antifreeze statement below. The part about it being toxic to animals is true in its concentrated form, and before it biodegrades. They don't want shops dumping it, but I doubt most would have a problem with 1-2 gallons of diluted antifreeze going to a municipal waste water plant that treats large volumes of waste water.

Here is info:

http://www.uwsa.edu/oslp/em/compliance/antifreeze.htm

http://www.eriecounty.oh.gov/depart...ecycle/special-material-recycling/antifreeze/

May used antifreeze be put down drains?

Although it's possible to receive permission from your local publicly owned treatment works ( POTW) to sewer used antifreeze, due to the heavy levels of lead and other metals it commonly contains, discharging down drains is NOT recommended as a best management practice.

HOW TO DISPOSE OF ANTIFREEZE

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SEPTIC TANK, and your drain is a connected to a municipal wastewater treatment system, used antifreeze can be diluted thoroughly with water and poured down the drain, or flushed down the toilet. NEVER dispose of antifreeze down the drain if you have a septic tank. Recycle it instead.

Drained your Antifreeze?...
Recycle it or dispose of it properly! ANTIFREEZE IS HIGHLY POISONOUS
Antifreeze is highly poisonous to animals and people. Its sweet flavor attracts children, pets, and other animals, so always clean up spills, store securely and dispose of it carefully.
NEVER pour antifreeze down an outdoor storm sewer, on the ground or in a ditch, as it may drain to a lake or stream and harm fish and wildlife.

IIRC, I think Autozone takes it in the same tank as their oil and transmission fluid in Texas.

Antifreeze used to have Hex chromium in it ages ago. Which is why it was so bad. What they don't tell you is that today's antifreeze is biodegradable. Some of the info below is just plane wrong, like lead in antifreeze statement below. The part about it being toxic to animals is true in its concentrated form, and before it biodegrades. They don't want shops dumping it, but I doubt most would have a problem with 1-2 gallons of diluted antifreeze going to a municipal waste water plant that treats large volumes of waste water.

Here is info:

http://www.uwsa.edu/oslp/em/compliance/antifreeze.htm

http://www.eriecounty.oh.gov/depart...ecycle/special-material-recycling/antifreeze/

We only take oil, I don't know where to dispose of coolant. But there is a sheet in all autozone offices with numbers of who to call for stuff like that

My Autozone guy thought they only took oil too, but the label on the Safety Klean bulk tank said transmission fluid and brake fluid were OK too, but I forget if the coolant was listed as OK on the label.

I would have no problem using the city sanitary sewer (not septic systems!!) for coolant. And I work in the Texas waste water permit field. In fact we treat the same ingredients as are used in coolant in a permitted waste water plant I run.

The waste that worries me the most is fluorescent lamps, as they are loaded with mercury and a tiny bit of mercury is as toxic as a truck load of other wastes, and mercury is not biodegradable, but the ingredients in antifreeze are biodegradable.

Yup hydraulic, brake, gear, and trans fluids autozone can take. But not coolant, atleast in this state. Check with the local junk yards they should have fluid reclamation facilities

I dump everything but coolant at autozone. For coolant, check with your local county or city waste reclaim center. Usually, you can take a certain amount at a time for free.

Replaced my headliner today, much easier job than I was expecting.

Also went and got the cooling system flushed.

Halfway home from the shop, plastic end tank on the rad blew... guess its time for a 3 row all metal rad. Maybe my heater will actually work after....

Installed new sliders, smittybilt body cladding and new extended bumps stoops on the front. Was a busy day but it all went pretty well.

Replaced my headliner today, much easier job than I was expecting.

Also went and got the cooling system flushed.

Halfway home from the shop, plastic end tank on the rad blew... guess its time for a 3 row all metal rad. Maybe my heater will actually work after....

Sounds like they damaged the T-stat in the flush process, and or did not get all the air out of the radiator. The closed Renix cooling system likes to keep the top half of the radiator full of trapped air, and there is a trick to getting that air out!!!

After my last drive in the 87 Wagoneer this Friday, I think I finally have good solid working brakes on it. Seems the last issue was a tapered wear pattern on the passenger side rotor!!!

I looked at the pad under pressure sideways on the rotor and only 30% of the top of the pad was making contact. The top of the rotor was in spec on wear (I had checked before reusing it), and the rotor was smooth and looked flat so I had reused it. But the inner area was near the wear limit, and the rotor surface was tapered!!!

I had a rattle clip installed wrong a while back and the pad wore unevenly, but I had not noticed the rotor was no longer flat and parallel, until I checked it with a micrometer across the entire diameter.

I have almost never worn out rotors and drums, and I never have them turned, not in 40 years and about 1 million miles across about 10 vehicles, this was a first for me. I just always changed pads early.....etc.

Since I am driving older junk these days I guess I will be doing closer inspections in the future. I still don't believe in turning the rotors, rather replace if they are that bad....

Thinking about doing a valve cover gasket and #1 and #2 cyl valve seal replacement today on the 87 Waggy. Need to finish front nose-head light repairs to the 89 and get it back on the road.

The other 89 is next for brake work.

Need to flush the heater core on the 85 diesel.

Nice weather here for the work today!!:)

So many numbers! :D,

Back