• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size tires should I run?

xj1999sport

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently started lifting my xj I got a 4.5 inch rough country lift and I'm currently running 31x10.5 and everyone is telling me I should put 33's on it but I still have to drive it a lot to work so is there gunna be any major differences off road if I just go with 32x11.5's?

most 33's will measure a little over 32" so might as well get the 33's...

on 4.5" i say run 35's, but hey :D

If you have stock gearing in your jeep i wouldnt put 33s yet to be honest. Unless you live in a city with not many hills. When i put my 33s on before i changed my gearing my motor would bog down and i would have to keep my tranny in 3rd gear. If i put it in overdrive it would shift between 3rd and OD back and forth and work the tranny more then it should. But that is my suggestion

@ in4aride- 35's might come someday after some fender cutting and when I don't have to drive it to work everyday haha and pvpmedic I do have stock gearing so I should probably just start out with 32's huh? But will the size of the tire affect off road performance a lot?

Are your 31s in need of replacement? Stick with them until you can afford to regear and then get some bigger tires.

Are your 31s in need of replacement? Stick with them until you can afford to regear and then get some bigger tires.
x2, you're going to be miserable on stock gears and 33's. Assuming you have an automatic. If you have a 5-spd like myself, you'll be outright wanting to shoot yourself in the face. Currently saving for gears at the moment. While the rig's still got enough balls to romp on those irritating buzzy imports, it's pretty shitty on the freeway anytime the road is anything more than level or downhill. 5th = straight and flat.

Only reason I bumped up to 33's is the new MTR Kevlar's were on introductory sale AND had a rebat, so it was a worthwhile up-size. Had 31's, shredded two of them on a 'wheeling trip.

I'd say stick with the tires you've got until either A) you have saved for gears, or B) can deal with the drastic decrease is performance and mileage with the larger tires.

Also for consideration, 31's are widely regarded as the largest you should go on stock gearing if you wish to retain some semblance of decent power and mileage.

I would not go any bigger than 31's with stock gears. Other things you may want to consider are the unibody steering mounts, brakes, MPG and drivetrain that could all be affected by going to a larger tire. Unless you plan on upgrading all of the above then dont ever go any larger than a 31.

Are new gears pretty expensive? And what gears should I get if I plan on getting bigger tires?

gears are expensive yes, a couple hundred bucks for a set then a couple hundred bucks for someone to set them for you. if your looking for 33's id say go with 4.56's im happy with my setup like that.

also you could prolly get away with 32's on stock gears, gopherit

I currently un 4:10 with my 33 12.50 r15 I have alot of power, although I would rather have 4:56 but i got a great deal on these gears. If you can find a great deal on either 4:56 or 4:10 you will be fine with eather, in my opinion. I pulled a fully loaded 6 x 12 uhal from vegas to colorado over the hill with no problem with 4:10 and 33s.

Meh, put your purse down, hate to break it to ya but your jeep isn't fast. So might as well run big rubber. Been on stock gears and 35's for a while and while not ideal it works. I cruise 80 at 2k rpm. And boo hoo for me im in 3rd going up the pass. And I can still wheel the hard stuff. Just do it to it

Are new gears pretty expensive? And what gears should I get if I plan on getting bigger tires?
My local shop charges about $1800 for a re-gear, however that includes everything involved (gears, install kit, seals, etc.) and labor. I'd suggest considering saving for a locker or two to have installed along with the gears to help save some money - going to be in there anyway, no reason to open it up twice IMHO.

And as previously mentioned several times, 4.56 is the ideal ratio for a 33". From what I remember, the general rule of thumb is 4.10 = 31's, 4.56 = 33's, 4.88 = 35's, 5.13 (and a different front axle) for anything above 36".

My local shop charges about $1800 for a re-gear, however that includes everything involved (gears, install kit, seals, etc.) and labor

Yeesh, I'm getting charged $125 for a regear on an 8.25 and about $250-300 depending on what gears I order, I'm also ordering a master install kit with them.

yeah 1800 sounds outrageous

also, OP what year is your jeep? your going to have either a lpd30 or hpd30 front, coupled with a dana 35 or chrysler 8.25 rear. pending on what year will determine the front, and the spline count on the 8.25.

My local shop charges about $1800 for a re-gear, however that includes everything involved (gears, install kit, seals, etc.) and labor. I'd suggest considering saving for a locker or two to have installed along with the gears to help save some money - going to be in there anyway, no reason to open it up twice IMHO.

And as previously mentioned several times, 4.56 is the ideal ratio for a 33". From what I remember, the general rule of thumb is 4.10 = 31's, 4.56 = 33's, 4.88 = 35's, 5.13 (and a different front axle) for anything above 36".
Coming from Palmdale, you could get a SoCal member to install your gears for a hell of a lot less than $1800, I didn't even pay 1800 for gears and install in my D30 plus the built D44 out back. Talk to RobertK, jeeperjohn, xjjeep19. I know jeeperjohn does gear work on the side (he did my front axle) and I'm pretty sure the others do too.

I went with 4.88s with my 33s and think that's perfect. But then perfect is a largely subjective word.
Meh, put your purse down, hate to break it to ya but your jeep isn't fast. So might as well run big rubber. Been on stock gears and 35's for a while and while not ideal it works. I cruise 80 at 2k rpm. And boo hoo for me im in 3rd going up the pass. And I can still wheel the hard stuff. Just do it to it
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13851&highlight=35*
For a laugh read this. I think 99% of NAXJA members and users will agree that 35s with stock gears sucks. Not only will it not get out of its own way, but you're working the transmission a lot harder, working the engine a lot harder, slipping the torque converter a lot more, etc etc. Go ahead and drive/wheel an XJ on 35s with the proper gears and tell me you still like your stock gears...
And one more question I just bought this jeep from my grandpa and I'm not sure what axles are on it is there a simple way to find out?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101249

ive been on 35's and 4:56's i know what gears are like, im just saying im not gonna boo hoo cuz my shit is slow...

and 99% of naxja whines about stupid shit instead of just going out and doin it to it...

Back