• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What rear-end? (Pics are 640x480)

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went snoopin around a junkyard today and found a rear end that seems to be a D44. Its out of a early model cherokee (pre-97). Its complete drum to drum, just wondering if anyone can verify that it is a D44. I was able to get a picture of the diff cover but i couldn't read the tag. Heres the pics i got.

142578653.jpg

142578652.jpg

haha nice. I've read on here before somewhere about the D44's and some being metric. Any possibility that this is a Metric one?

Looks like i'll have to make a call to the junk yard and see how much they want for it :-D

MudslinginXJ said:
haha nice. I've read on here before somewhere about the D44's and some being metric. Any possibility that this is a Metric one?

Looks like i'll have to make a call to the junk yard and see how much they want for it :-D

*shrug*
Sure? lol I am not sure.

MudslinginXJ said:

That refers to the Metric Tonne package that was available on some '86 MJs; they got D44s in the rear. Nothing to do with the axle dimensions.

casm said:
That refers to the Metric Tonne package that was available on some '86 MJs; they got D44s in the rear. Nothing to do with the axle dimensions.

Untrue.

There is an axle called the Metric One Ton; I don't know a whole lot about it but belive it's similar to an AMC-20; I could be way off though.

I know somebody who has one, I've never poked my head under his XJ to check it out though.

86 MJ's got te AMC 20 as part of the metric tonne package, 87+ was a d44.
Isuzu use a metric version of the D44.
If it's under an XJ buy it, it will bolt right in. Might have to have the drive shaft shortened a hair, pinion length on the D44 is longer.

GSequoia said:

Correct, and I suck at getting information between one tab and another :D Mistyped what I'd found on Yuccaman's site.

87manche said:
86 MJ's got te AMC 20 as part of the metric tonne package, 87+ was a d44.

Correct.

Cool, thanks. I am familiar with it being longer and needing a new driveshaft. My plans are to restore the Dana44 when i get it and throw it under the XJ when i install a lift kit.

Thanks for the verification!

I do believe that it was in a 6 cylinder auto meaning its 3.55:1. If it was a manual and had 3.07:1's i could always regear both front and rear before i put on some bigger tires.

Back