• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best all around item in you tool box?

does this actually exist?!

because if it does, that with a sledge head welded to the back end would be the only tool I ever need.

I'd have to say a hand sledge or an angle grinder is the most useful tool though. You can do anything from brutalize your fingers to breaking everything around the thing you're trying to hit/cut with them.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=85-610&SDesc=10%26%2334%3B+MaxGrip%26%23153%3B+Locking+Adjustable+Wrench

We call it the 'Mexican in your back pocket'. Use it all the time since I work alone mostly.

Last edited:
The fridge and a cell phone.... The fridge to hold the beer and the cell phone to call your buddies to bring you more beer and help finish the project.

you must have a really big toolbox for that. i have a vf-3 and a vf-1 with a 4th axis in the next building over that i use a lot. very handy little devices

Locking socket tray! Now I can keep those sockets in the right spot and not waste time searching for them...
I plan to order another one for my Standard sockets, those are just my metric ones.

407140_2861180882109_1037288951_32951894_1217053431_n.jpg

Holy!!! How did I not know about this tool before? Well Ill have mine tuesday, Thanks Amazon Prime! haha

ha ha ha

I used mine at least one dozen times today working out back.

Assisted opening is a joke? Yea, I guess that's why so many other pocket knives use it :doh:

So besides that, having fewer tools, no compound leverage, and being way overpriced - yea, leathermans are waaaay better :rolleyes:
I have fingers for opening my leatherman. If I couldn't open the blade myself I am not sure how I'd use it after I did.

Compound leverage is neat and all but I broke one of the jaws off the pliers in my leatherman surge without it, and not because it is a weak tool... because a pocketknife that size simply isn't meant to put down that kind of force.

Oh, and I paid 80 bucks for my leatherman. Same price as the SOG knives I am seeing, unless you are talking about the 50 dollar 'barbies first multitool' sized ones that you need compound leverage on because you can't get more than a couple fingers on it before running out of space.

No, the powerlock's run about $60. And I'm not arguing that the powerassist is necessary, it's obviously not - but it is handy, which is why so many pocket knives use it as well. And maybe if leatherman's were a little stronger, they could hold up as conventional pliers. My SOG on the other hand has held up fine for years while exerting more much more pressure with the compound leverage. Maybe you should switch ;) And most of the time the compound leverage isn't used to exert a ridiculous amount of pressure on something anyways, but to make it a LOT easier on our hand.

Really, I was abusing it when it broke. I was using it to hold onto the nut on one of my UCA bolts while I cranked on the other end.

I don't need to switch, I have a leatherman and it has a 25 year warranty. Why spend some more money when what I have works great, and I know the locations of the tools by heart and can open whichever one I want without even looking at it?

surprised no one mentioned the 15 yo parts/tool/beer/band-aid fetcher. he wants to drive soon he helps me on the JEEP. the 31 yo ex parts fetcher now has 2 of his own JEEPs and part fetchers.

surprised no one mentioned the 15 yo parts/tool/beer/band-aid fetcher. he wants to drive soon he helps me on the JEEP. the 31 yo ex parts fetcher now has 2 of his own JEEPs and part fetchers.

mine is only 4 yo but his training is coming along nicely. still cant get the 10 month old to do much, but i have a lot of confidence in him. :clap:

Back