• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is so good about solid axles??

I had a WJ once that had CV joints as opposed to u-joints. I didn't think solid axles ever used CV joints...god I'm a driveline noob.

Eh, it happens more than it should... haha... while there are advantages (steering full lock in 4wd produces no hop), they are more vulnerable and weaker than u-joints... they're still more protected than IxS systems though...

Oh, new question; TTB Supsensions! What's the deal?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned traction. If you approach an object a side angle and put say, your right front while up onto it, as the right front goes up, weight is pushing down on the left front wheel giving it more traction. With an IFS front in, the right front wheel goes up onto the object and the left wheel just springs into the air..

I'm surprised no one has mentioned traction. If you approach an object a side angle and put say, your right front while up onto it, as the right front goes up, weight is pushing down on the left front wheel giving it more traction. With an IFS front in, the right front wheel goes up onto the object and the left wheel just springs into the air..

apparently you didnt read all of the posts. 5-90 mentioned this a few posts above you.

Post #20, point #1, "Articulation"...

I remember reading somewhere (I think 4 Wheel and Off-Road) that if you're looking for an equal amount of suspension travel, the independent set up will tend to require a considerably wider track to get the same amount of "flex" as a solid axle/3-4 link arrangement.
As an example, I've got an E-Revo that with the long travel suspension parts installed has the same amount of "flex" as my Axial Scorpion or HPI Wheely King, but is considerably wider than the other two as well. If I think about it tomorrow, I'll take pics of all three on an ammo box I own as well as get measurements, that box will max out the suspensions on all three trucks.

As far as solid axles not handling as well as in independent, don't forget about the Archer Bros' Comanche race trucks from the 80's, they ran solid axles (beam up front, live out back) and ran away from they're competitors on the road courses. I think they were capable of some fairly high G cornering speeds (first paragraph in this article) too. Haven't there been a fair number of us here with stock height trucks that have suprised what are supposed to be good handling car owners too.

2emmyo7.jpg

Does it really take two chicks to remove/install a snap ring?

.......and why does the camo shirted chick look like Jennifer Aniston?

Love the black paint outline in the background of the SHAFTS.......:D.

Hijack off.......

Visual proof IFS sucks offroad; Where is the famous internet pic from years ago of the Hummer with the right front wheel and the left rear wheel hanging in mid air on a minor rock obstacle?

Last edited:
Does it really take two chicks to remove/install a snap ring?

.......and why does the camo shirted chick Jennifer Aniston?

Love the black paint outline in the background of the SHAFTS.......:D.

Hijack off.......

Visual proof IFS sucks offroad; Where is the famous internet pic from years ago of the Hummer with the right front wheel and the left rear wheel hanging in mid air on a minor rock obstacle?
Yes, yes it does take two chicks. Actually it potentially could take more...

and no, she does not look like Jeniffer Aniston.

The only reason I keep checking this thread is to see if anyone found more pics of those chicks...

To the OP: IFS sucks.

Yes, yes it does take two chicks. Actually it potentially could take more...

and no, she does not look like Jeniffer Aniston.

The only reason I keep checking this thread is to see if anyone found more pics of those chicks...
To the OP: IFS sucks.

Nope, got to argue with you on that one, she definitely looks like Jennifer Aniston, it is the hair style and the face although I am sure it is not an episode of Friends. :lickout:

So was that pic from a show or just somebody's well placed camera in there garage?

......more chicks? .........well that is a pretty big shaft.......ba bump ba!

IFS v. Solid axle is dependent on application.

There is a reason trophy trucks and truggys run IFS and not solid FRONT axles, travel. In a go fast application you want travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmOUX4xPFo

Look at how the IFS works in this truggy, travel and less stuff to be thrown up and down 30" at 100mph

In slow off-road applications like rock crawling/trail running you want to be able to put the traction of the front drive to the ground, the solid axle allows you to do that.

Here are a few formulas I think explain it all in extreme cases:

Solid axles with open diffs in 4wd = IFS with at least one locker in 4wd.
Solid axles with open diffs in 2wd = IFS in 4wd no lockers.
Solid axles with lockers = IFS with lockers (assuming they are strong enough to cope with the stress)

This is my opinion based on what I have seen work.

Still no one answering my question? TTB= Twin Traction Beam, advantages, disadvantages? I've seen it, but don't know much about it!

FORD thing..........had two Full size Broncos with them, PITA! Never could keep an alignment if you put any kind of lift on it.

Kind of like an IFS and Solid axle got married and had an ugly child.................. more protected than an IFS, but just as many connections and parts as an IFS and no articulation advantage like a solid axle setup. Drivers side housing connected to the passenger side frame, and passenger side housing connected to the drivers side frame, kind of like a BIG scissor. Imagine taking a solid axle and put a joint the in the middle of it, the drivers side axle shaft had two ujoints in it.

Most Ford guys I know if they were serious offroaders went and found an older Ford with the solid axle and swapped it in..............

ifs does suck, unless you are doing 75 mph over a 3 mile long set of 2 and a half foot whoops. id like to see a solid axle do that as good as an IFS axle......

I am a visual learner and this is how i learned that IFS<SOLID :roll:

overall easier trail fix, strength, clearance, workability i.e transplant or swap, leaf compatable, huge HUGE aftermarket support - shafts, seals, gears, truss, builder parts, etc...

2e66m9w.jpg

Thats why! FLEX and more FLEX! they are also way stronger and suitable for trail use these aren't baja vehicles well.... most of them aren't. Most of us guys use them to haul stuff. Yeah IFS vehicles generally ride better but they are nowhere near as strong or durable.

plus the ladies like 'em solid:D

2e17q14.jpg

2emmyo7.jpg

Back