• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neophyte - need Transfer Case/Lift advice

The kit being recommended does provide the speed sensory capability, its just digital rather than mechanical. The gear version turns with the shaft while the digital uses what I understand is an edge detection sensor as the Is HD SYE better because its HD? Is it better because of the longer rear driveshaft?
Where is this bogus info coming from????

1997 XJ 4.0 AW4, D30, C8.25
Local offroad service center installed Rough Country 3" lift.
But, only in passing they told me I needed the Transfer Case lowered and probably the front sway bar lowered.
Got the Jeep back, experienced a bit of bump steer, they said I needed RC's lower ctrl arms for 3" lift.
Had that done with another alignment, drives much better. BUT, I noticed my transfer case now hangs down slightly lower than my CAT.
That is the totally opposite result than I set out to achieve.
Now they are recommending a SYE and adams custom drive shaft $$$$

I noticed something written in the comments section of the Quote referring to a 231, but I have a 242 transfer case.
Researching, I saw something regarding speedometer cable???? Some options apparently seemed to indicate the need to sacrifice my Full Time 4WD option????

I am a pretty quick study but with all the different models over the years and options past and present it is easy to get confused?
I live 10 of 15 miles from Iron Rock Offroad. I was thinking about going over there and getting their Low Down, no pun intended.

Also discovered here at NAXJA and Jeep Forum, posts regarding transfer case lowering perhaps causing additional stress on Motor Mounts????
MY GOAL: With so many options and a number of different outcomes for each, depending on if any particular option is still sold or not today, could anyone provide some advice.

My real goal was to increase ground clearance a couple inches everywhere of course except at the axles.
Now I've got this plethora of consequences, not really well documented in the forums, and not really what I had in mind, all costing more time and $$$$. I don't mind paying for good value but gheesh anyways...

Even the manufacturer instructions from Rough Country don't include transfer case drop as a significantly noted feature of buying their products. Bait and switch or I was supposed to know that from the start?????
I currently have the exact same XJ as you....97 4.0 aw4 np242 ect... Here's where we differ a bit, I'm on 31 x 10.5 r15 mud grips and at 4 inches of lift, speedo correction gear and had to do the 1" tc drop to correct vibrations driving above 55 MPH. At the 3 inch lift point I experienced no drive line vibes at all with moderate wheeling Trails, hills with washouts and some mild mud while hunting. I needed the added lift for tire clearance while flexed with my 4.5" backspaced wheels and 31s. I say SEND IT without the TC drop if your only staying with the 225s you wont be flexing it enough to touch anywhere. Good luck on your build. I have no SYE now either but I do have a custom rear shaft. and all my steering is off a same year ZJ 4wd

Im 3-4"ish if lift without a slip yoke elimnator i run freeway and 65mph highways connecting trails with no issues.

...whether or not I take advantage of the added capabilities today.
Regards

It's a funny thing, this rabbit hole that our rigs can take us down. The main thing to remember is to try and only spend once. Glad you're starting to get things sorted out.
Good luck with your build, mostly just have fun with it. It's a funny thing, getting out on the trail is the only thing that actually shuts the background noise in the brain completely off.

Back