• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think of this control arm bracket design?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
i made this bracket for my long length front radius arms and rear lower control arms (going coilover/3 link in rear). it'll weld to the bottom of the frame rails. it's made of 3x3" square steel 3/16" wall tubing, i cut a triangle out of the sides and bent it down to tig weld it into what you see below (just tack welded for now). the control arm fits fine in it and has full range of motion. it is overall about 12" long. i thought about making it shorter with a steeper angle but i thought i'd ask opinions first. It'll basically have 30 inches of weld all around it to the unibody frame rail as it is now, assuming i go all the way around with the mig.
no frame stiffeners or anything at the moment.

6796823661_53102b3b64_z.jpg

The control arm looks great.

You should probably weld stiffeners in if you plan on doing any tough wheelin'.

While 3x3x3/16 would be strong enough (and very convenient with its 2 5/8 inside mounting width), I wouldnt want anything that thin as one of the lowest points on the jeep that will see abuse from rocks and such. Maybe add a second layer on the drop section to provide a solid ramp. I would also deffiently add some weld washers/second layer over the bolts holes. It would be much better to support the bolt with 3/8 thickness instead 3/16.

not a bad idea on the washers. as for adding a second layer, how about a wedge that goes inside the brackets, acting as basically a third wall in the center? i can make it out of 1/4" or something. this will keep it from collapsing.
What do you guys think of the design? should i shorten it? something different all together? this is my first time doing anything like this, so just making sure i shouldnt be doing something else before i commit and finish them.

Doing the third wall wouldn't really help much in situations like this, which is what foxwar is talking about.

DSC_0623_1.jpg

Doing the third wall wouldn't really help much in situations like this, which is what foxwar is talking about.

DSC_0623_1.jpg
as far as what, the washers? i am already doing that, i picked some up today. i was saying using the third center wall instead of a thicker or second top plate, which i think will be stronger.

Yep, I got what you were saying for the third center wall. It will add to the overall rigidity of the bracket, but will do nothing for the actual piece of 3/16" plate that is hanging down if it lands on a rock.

My picture was to show that even if you did add that center third wall, it would have done nothing in this situation (which was land on a rock).

Basically what foxwar was saying was that if you play in the rocks a lot, think about doing thicker material, especially around that bottom area. At the very least, add a washer to help strengthen the hole and the area where the bolt passes through.

my lca mounts are like that and made of 1/4". they get bent around pretty good which makes it hard to remove the control arms, but thats about it. they are still solid and keep my front end where it belongs.

If you can box the bottom of the bracket in almost all the way to the front, then add the third wall and weld washers you're talking about, I'd bet it will be fine.

The main reason Mark's (Begster) bent the way they did is because there is no bracing on the front of those tabs, so the steel will just mushroom out/in.

thanks guys! i got a bunch of 3/16" sheet from the scrap yard yesterday, so maybe i'll take a strip of that and beef it up some. the washers are a good idea, i'll be doing that, thanks.

check out the vendors forum, ruffstuff makes some pretty trick weld washers. the post is titled "something handy for XJ owners"

personally I wouldn't use anything less than 1/4" material for LCA brackets. especially if they are going to see the rocks.

and if you have the free time, I always like when people fab their own stuff....

but here is another idea for pre-fabbed if you want to save some time... these are my favorite off the shelf bracket.

http://www.artecindustries.com/Lower-Link-Frame-Bracket-single_p_251.html :S

thats not too bad then. i'll probably try to beef these up a little though. i like your side plate idea, it'll stiffen it up quite a bit tying it into the frame on the side like that, even if i only do it on one side and a washer on the other.

The possibilities for the 2nd leg are countless... cage tie ins... upper control arm mounts... etc etc.

Oh how i wish i had CNC plasma....

The possibilities for the 2nd leg are countless... cage tie ins... upper control arm mounts... etc etc.

Oh how i wish i had CNC plasma....
you and me both, i might build one someday, i'm just a little short on room in the shop. maybe a 4x4 table or something out on the back patio lol
for now i just use the cnc mill, but for stuff like this, it kinda sucks since i have to fixture it.

Back