• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I want?

kristuphir

NAXJA Forum User
So. In addition to my regular daily driver (an '08 Mazda3 hatch), I have a '74 Ford F350 Supercab 2WD monster that I love, and my '87 Renix XJ that I...well, I guess I'm more ambivalent about it than I thought I'd be. I live out in the country, so I use the truck for runs to the hardware store, the dirt place, the nursery, and the garage sales. I've had it for a little over a year and the XJ for almost one...both approaching records for second and third cars around here (call me fickle).

In the fall my fiance will be going back to school 25 miles away. Normally we carpool everywhere, but that won't work all the time while I'm working and she's...schooling. She's small, and hates driving the truck (and parking it especially, and I can't say I blame her).

The pickup's gas mileage can be most accurately measured in feet per gallon, maybe yards per gallon on a good day. It gets driven 2-5 times a month. The Jeep will get in the low 20s, like most XJs. It probably gets driven even less, and off road even less than that (and way less than I imagined when I bought it).

I kind of wonder if, economic times and upcoming living situations being what they are, it wouldn't make more sense to do a little consolidating. I love the pickup, but I could sell it to a coworker for what I have into it, and be able to visit/borrow it whenever I want. Like I said, I'm neither here nor there on the Jeep. I'm kind of wondering if I should sell both, and use the cash to buy a cheap, somewhat older midsize 4WD extended cab pickup that can fulfill all three roles at least adequately, thereby reducing insurance, registration fees, and vehicles to buy parts for.

I've been doing some research, but there's so much out there. I could spend maybe 3 grand, thereabouts, which brings all kinds of stuff into reach. There are Toyotas from the 80s-early 90s. There are Rangers/Mazda Bs, and S10s. There are Comanches, of course, although I don't think they can be had with an extra cab. There are Nissan Hardbodies.

The problem with all of those is that I don't think they have the payload capacities to safely haul heavy stuff - they're mostly rated in the 1300-1600lb range. We have a pellet stove and we buy pellets by the ton - they come on a shipping pallet that way, and I'd need to take them home (20 miles) in the truck. The rig would also need to be able to handle a scoop of dirt or gravel, things like that.

If you factor in payload, I think the only thing that's really out there is a 92-96 Dodge Dakota. I would be looking for a V8 4x4 extended cab, most likely, but their V6 is supposed to be a great motor too. Both are reasonably efficient for what they are, at least double the mileage of my current truck and pretty close to what the XJ can pull. The V8 has a payload of 2600lb. I believe the 4x4s come with an NP231 and a D44 out back, which would suit me just dandy. But I wonder...do they suffer from Dread 1990s Mopar Auto Transmission Failure? I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive site for them like this one. Also, the trucks don't seem to be that common anymore, which makes me uncomfortable. But it's impossible to spend more than 4 grand on one. Any Dakota folks here?

All the other choices, though, are common as hell. For my price range I could buy 90s Rangers and S10s all day, in nice shape too. But would I be playing with fire with some of the heavier loads in those trucks?

Am I missing anything here? What would YOU do? Am I overthinking it and making my life more complicated than it needs to be (almost certainly)?

Some exceptions: I would not be seen in a '94+ S10, or a 2nd gen Dakota...ick. I'm typically a Ford guy but not for any particular reason, so I am being openminded about this.

So: medium duty hauling/occasional light towing/occasional moderate offroading/camping/reasonable 2nd vehicle/$3K = what?

well, You have a rare optioned XJ, with the D44.. How about Selling the truck, and buying a decent trailor? The 4.0liter will handle a trailer with 3k to 4k lbs without a problem. You can use it as a second car when needed. That sounds like the perfect setup In my opinion..

See? I hadn't thought of that. It's an idea, but it also sounds like kind of a pain in the ass - I dunno, maybe it wouldn't be. I know the XJ's rated to tow 5000lbs, but that seems like a lot to me with such a short wheelbase...

I know autos are rated at 5k. But I wouldn't want to tow 5k unless I was going down hill with tail wind the entire time, maybe just then.

I'd really consider a Nissan hardbody. Might not have quite the payload you want, but they are inexpensive trucks with decent gas mileage and power when had with the VG30 V6 and manual. We bought one brand new in '96 and we loved it! But truelly for what you stated a Dakota probably would be best with the V8 power.

I know autos are rated at 5k. But I wouldn't want to tow 5k unless I was going down hill with tail wind the entire time, maybe just then.

:shocked: That would be scary as hell! Good luck with stability or braking!

The problem isn't the power to pull it (the 4.0 has plenty) but it comes in the form of stability and braking. The stock XJ brakes are marginal at best when it comes to anymore weight than the XJ itself, and the short wheelbase, as you stated, is not ideally suited for towing.

I'm sure 3-4k would be right at the limit I would put it at. That's with a load equalizing hitch and trailer brakes. A nice tranny cooler and a LS in the rear axle couldn't hurt either.

Guess it depends on your brakes, if you have rear disk brakes like the one i tow with does, an xj will easily handle 4k lbs, i've towed with one on 33s, stock 3.55s, and pulling a dolly with another xj. drove about 70 miles, no problems at all.

Guess it depends on your brakes, if you have rear disk brakes like the one i tow with does, an xj will easily handle 4k lbs, i've towed with one on 33s, stock 3.55s, and pulling a dolly with another xj. drove about 70 miles, no problems at all.

Was that all on flat land? Rear disc brakes didn't really improve the braking power for me as much as it just kept me from maintaining them and made them simpler to replace. My old D44 10" drums had comparable braking power, they just had to be kept adjusted which is a pain when it's snowing out.

Last edited:
I've got a M3 Hatch too. It's a helluva car.

I just bought a 95 Ranger. It's a 2.3L 4 cyl. You don't want any heavy loads in it. It can barely get out of its own way.

If you're looking for payload, you'll have to ditch the Ranger/S10/Hardbody idea and get something beefy; like the Dakota you mentioned.

If it were me, I'd sell the truck and get a trailer for the Jeep. Then again, I like my Jeep.

If the heaviest things you haul will fit in the capacity of a Dakota, then a trailer with a 3000lb load behind a XJ is completely do-able. If you are nervous about the braking, install electric brakes for when you are towing.

Then let the Fiancee drive the jeep to school.

If you are just looking for a reason to get rid of the jeep because you are ambivolent about it...then I'd go ahead and sell both the f350 and the jeep and get an extended cab truck that would meet your needs. But I would also look at some of the half ton trucks out there. My 1997 1500 RAM gets within 1 MPG of my buddies Dakota and is a whole lot more comfortable. I only paid $5000 for it and I see them in that price range all the time. I will grant you that it may not meet your needs if the fiancee does not like driving the larger trucks...but that is a decision for you and her to make.

I always suggest a load capacity of 1.5 times what you intend to haul, because extra stuff always seems to creep into the loading (as long as we are picking up pellets, lets get the 200 lbs of groceries we need since it is just down the road).

Whatever you decide, be safe and enjoy the drive.

I've got a M3 Hatch too. It's a helluva car.

I just bought a 95 Ranger. It's a 2.3L 4 cyl. You don't want any heavy loads in it. It can barely get out of its own way.

If you're looking for payload, you'll have to ditch the Ranger/S10/Hardbody idea and get something beefy; like the Dakota you mentioned.

If it were me, I'd sell the truck and get a trailer for the Jeep. Then again, I like my Jeep.

Yeah, I like mine a lot - I have 33,000 miles on it since I bought it in February. Yikes. It's a fully loaded one with a stick - only one I could find in the state, and I got a great deal on it to boot.

As far as a 4cyl Ranger goes...bah! It would be a 3.0 at a minimum, and more likely the 4.0. Still not terribly impressive on the payload front, though.

See, that's what's missing on the 1st Gen Dakota front, as far as I can tell - in-depth, dedicated sites like those (and NAXJA) with answers to every question you could possibly have.

Never mind, I'm keepin' em both. I just get these "obsessions" with other cars from time to time, and need to stop acting on them. :)

BUy an MJ then you have a Jeep and a Truck in the same package! :D

If they made an extended cab 1-ton, which they didn't, then I would have. But sometimes it just makes sense to keep 2 vehicles, each having a specific purpose. Especially if I can ever get the Jeep to a point where I'm comfortable taking it out in the wilds for any significant length of time...;)

yeah i hear ya. I have a buddy thats going to give me an 88 coupe deville. it runs and drives fine and its free plus it will be back up if the jeep is broke/getting upgraded:D or my brother's car is broke(doubt it its a Honda!)

Back