• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Almost finished stripping this one:

0022-2.jpg

CJ.. the old sayin goes.. if it aint broke, dont fix it.. they are easy to test..

Yeah I know that old saying but there is another one that says to do the job correct the first time and only do it once.

They are working I mean they spin and all but who is to say how long they have been on that axle and how much life they got left in them. Was figuring I already have it apart why not replace them while it is apart less work later down the road. That's only if I can find some for a good deal though.

Timken have proven themselves with me.. sorry.. I'm not cheaping out on something that is holding my wheels on at 110mph.. or driving along a 1200ft dropoff at 5mph.. I have seen way too many bearing failures..

edit: CJ.. the old sayin goes.. if it aint broke, dont fix it.. they are easy to test..

Hey man do whatever suits you hell Im not even sure that they were Timkin I just know they were made in the US. And they failed with in a few thousand miles. The cheap ones are still rolling. I dont even trust unit bearing thats why I am changing over to a Dana 44. There is no way that my Jeep ever sees 100 mph that is dangeous In my Jeep period. Thats what my DDs for. I knew there would be some discussion on this topic. Not trying to piss anyone off (Scott) just do what you think is right
Besides (bigdog) doesnt seem to be as concerned as much about saftey he is also going to use a used front windshield in his Jeep. Probably would be diffrent if your talking unit bearings though. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I know that old saying but there is another one that says to do the job correct the first time and only do it once.

They are working I mean they spin and all but who is to say how long they have been on that axle and how much life they got left in them. Was figuring I already have it apart why not replace them while it is apart less work later down the road. That's only if I can find some for a good deal though.

CJ. ... I totally agree. When I swapped out my front end for a '98 I replaced everything Rotors, calipers, hub assemblies, brake pads. I figured while it's all apart I might as well preplace everything so I know how old it all is. I costs more to do it that way but at least your not wondering when it will fail. I just kept the hubs as trail spares and scrapped the rest.

Scott you crack me up. So are you going with us to Browns Camp in the next week or two. I am in the garage working on my exaust manifold.

Last edited:
Had ben come over and welded up the fawked up control arm drop bracket. Thanks to ben for all the help. I took it for a spin and nothing. Not a single problem. I drove it to my buddies place on city streets with pot holes and speed bumps and then 65mph on the freeway home. :party:

Added more lift! :helpme: 1" rear shackles to get rid of the soggy-bottom look. Busted out the wash bucket and gave it a bath.

Did you buy that front axle from Ronald McDonald? The yellow isn't my thing, but that is a great looking rig.

I finished up the rear cargo storage setup I made. I will have to re-paint it because the paint was no where near the cap color...in fact its way off so its coming back out for a re-paint. Other then that I think it will work good for me. Tomorrow is the test at Browns Camp!

drove it to work and while showing it off to some coworker after work i discovered a screw and washer in the pass front tire

Replaced the front door locks. Cleaned and lubricated the front door latches and window regulators. Cleaned window and door lock switches & connectors.

Back