• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

So I haven’t got to work on the XJ in a while but I have had the fortune to work on my wife’s 2000 Ford Focus. . I want to set the freaking car on :flame: and roll it into the ford dielership. Okay I'm done being :rattle: a well I will get it back together tomorrow so I can get to work on my steering upgrades. Happy wheeling!
Wanted to set it on fire? Last time I blew a clutch hose it sprayed the exhaust manifold and set my '86 xj on fire. Fortunately it went out as soon as the fluid burned-off. Then I speed-shifted all the way home. *snicker*

Last edited:
Tried converting the NP241 drivers-drop transfer case from VSS to mechanical speedometer drive ...
CIMG0021.jpg

got all the parts from a '89 passenger-side drop case
CIMG0040.jpg

Installed the drive gear ...
CIMG0051.jpg

then figured out the housing wont index to the oil pump. "FAIL" Guess I'm going electronic with a custom instrument panel. Film at 11

Thanks for trying that so I know down the road not to even try if I ever score a 241 and 6 speed tranny.

Siliconed my blower motor housing on the 98 to try to solve a typical xj passenger side water leak.

Siliconed my blower motor housing on the 98 to try to solve a typical xj passenger side water leak.

If that didn't work try cleaning out the hose the exits the water from the AC/Defrost system. That's what my problem was after I did the silicone trick.

YEAH for SNOW!!!!

Found out that the 231 iv had for a while, that I got cuz it had an SYE also has 4:1... Now I just need 2low then it's going in the black jeep.
:cool:

If that didn't work try cleaning out the hose the exits the water from the AC/Defrost system. That's what my problem was after I did the silicone trick.

I never thought of that thanks.
Now does anyone know why my Jeep always blowes air out of the defrosted until i let off the gas pedal then it will return to blowing out the vents or the floor whatever is selected. I am assuming this has something to due with vacume. Maybe the canister has a crack or a bad hose. It drives me crazy :)

Now does anyone know why my Jeep always blowes air out of the defrosted until i let off the gas pedal then it will return to blowing out the vents or the floor whatever is selected. I am assuming this has something to due with vacume. Maybe the canister has a crack or a bad hose. It drives me crazy :)

That is usually it. I've got a rupture hose to the canister

Yeah Vacume issue for sure.

Hit a new washout at 35, broke two of the gutter mounts for my roof rack and had to take it off. Guess its time to figure out something a little more solid...

Btw, my jeep looks really weird/bad with no roof rack :(

Bummer. I may need to take mine off if I ever get these F150 axles in. I dont think its going to fit in the garage with the roof rack. Its a bummer to because I actually use mine. :)

So got the none disco axle all apart now to start rebuilding it. I know I'm going to be replacing all the ball joints and the u-joints but can't decide if should replace the hubs or not. Guess if I find some for a good price then might as well while I have it all apart then everything will be new on it. Any one know where to find some for a good price?

Also going to be throwing some adjustable LCA on and matbe uppers to. To think all this started out to be just a motor swap :doh:

newfortoday006.jpg

Before cleaning it up the whole axle looked like this.
newfortoday007.jpg

After cleaning it looks like this, not all the way done cleaning it up yet but getting there though.
newfortoday008.jpg

Think going to go ahead and paint everything before throwing it under the heep just for shits and gigles.

I can tell you this do not pay the extra money for the unit bearings. I know a couple of people that bought the really expesive made in the USA unit bearings and they failed right away. They put the cheap unit bearing in and been wheeling no problem ever since.
Go figure. I aways try to buy USA but i guess in this case not so much.

I can tell you this do not pay the extra money for the unit bearings. I know a couple of people that bought the really expesive made in the USA unit bearings and they failed right away. They put the cheap unit bearing in and been wheeling no problem ever since.

Unit bearings? You talking about the hub assembly right?

Timken have proven themselves with me.. sorry.. I'm not cheaping out on something that is holding my wheels on at 110mph.. or driving along a 1200ft dropoff at 5mph.. I have seen way too many bearing failures..

edit: CJ.. the old sayin goes.. if it aint broke, dont fix it.. they are easy to test..

Last edited:
Back