• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Found them on the side of the road....

I actually got them from Tim (knucklehead61)
They're the d44's he's had for sale for a bit
Hp front, narrowed to waggy width, Chevy outers, high steer arms, 5.38's, arb, blah blah blah
Isuzu rear, 5.38's, lock right

17" racelines (same wheels I have for sale)
Newish 36/13.50/17 bias iroks

I needed new tires, and had Dana 44's to build and this saves me a ton of time building them myself, and saves a few bucks too. I'm happy with everything, and I'm in love with these 17" racelines....

Weird thing is, these axles were built up here somewhere. Oregon, Washington somewhere. Tim bought them, got them to San Jose for his green jeep, sat in storage for like 3 years, and now they end up back up here

That's true. I think he's still trying to figure a few things out, but sounds like he will be in cottage grove at some point soon

I actually got them from Tim

I needed new tires, and had Dana 44's to build and this saves me a ton of time building them myself, and saves a few bucks too. I'm happy with everything, and I'm in love with these 17" racelines....

Weird thing is, these axles were built up here somewhere. Oregon, Washington somewhere. Tim bought them, got them to San Jose for his green jeep, sat in storage for like 3 years, and now they end up back up here
That was a sweet deal, congrats. I remember seeing his ad for them in the SC.

Those Racelines are sexy, I'm torn between 15" and 17" flavors.

Rockers are looking good too. ;)

Thanks Dustin!

Funny thing is, I saw them quite a while back, and tried to talk my brother into buying it. He didn't seem to care much, and I got busy collecting parts and whatnot....
Then right after buying a whole bunch of crap for my build, I saw it on the SC for sale section and thought damn, I'd like some new tires....

Now I'm broke, but hey, saved me a lot of hassle. I have so much work to do it makes me kinda sick to think about it, but I'm really looking forward to having some more beef under my rig, and some fresh tires!

I guess it's time to get serious

On the wheels, 15's get the job done, and I probably wouldn't have spent the coin on 17's
But damn they look nice! And a lot of manufacturers are leaning towards 17's. 17 is the new 15

Thanks Dustin!

Funny thing is, I saw them quite a while back, and tried to talk my brother into buying it. He didn't seem to care much, and I got busy collecting parts and whatnot....
Then right after buying a whole bunch of crap for my build, I saw it on the SC for sale section and thought damn, I'd like some new tires....

Now I'm broke, but hey, saved me a lot of hassle. I have so much work to do it makes me kinda sick to think about it, but I'm really looking forward to having some more beef under my rig, and some fresh tires!

I guess it's time to get serious

On the wheels, 15's get the job done, and I probably wouldn't have spent the coin on 17's
But damn they look nice! And a lot of manufacturers are leaning towards 17's. 17 is the new 15

2ecc5b615fdc31be924ab27a98d4ca62.jpg

Got most of my new to me 242 cleaned up, should start replacing seals and bearings in the case tomorrow.

5cf9cea6688de010f57b1ff2e7004f9e.jpg

BTW if anyone manages to loose any of the thrust washers in the differential (yes I'm that retard) they are seemingly impossible to find.

64c089f2f98c699a5013ab217c455c41.jpg

I got the OEM part number (83504168) and they are nice and cheap, maybe someone in the Puget sound will have them in stock and I can put this sucker under the jeep tomorrow afternoon! :cool: If not... I have a friend that is willing to machine them from Teflon. He thinks that's what they are made from.

Auto zone !!! They carry Yukon thrust washers for the d30 carrier. Found that our while trying to find thick enough thrust washers for my lockrite

I like my 17" monsters but I got mine for full width.

Haha, I knew I'd hear something from you about the width....
I know you prefer the full width. These were already done so whatever....

Side note for Dustin- you need to go 17. I forgot 37" kevlars only come in 17's, or 17 is the smallest rim size you can get.
I'm kinda bummed I let my brother buy those beadlocks for his 35" kevlars we scored, cause now I'd like to bump his up to 37 but that would mean that he'd have to buy new wheels again :eek:

And I'm finding that the demand for 5 on 4.5 beadlocks is pretty low

Getting it ready to plate, destroyed wire liner in my mig is keeping me back. One step closer lol frack this is taking forever
1bc1a2dd8f524915a0e418a0821085fd.jpg

Flexed it also lol because why not
68ba768cb68a20922b86e613c14be7b0.jpg

Nick where did you get your new jeep plated?

I think some of you guys needs to start some build threads...

Side note for Dustin- you need to go 17. I forgot 37" kevlars only come in 17's, or 17 is the smallest rim size you can get.
I'm kinda bummed I let my brother buy those beadlocks for his 35" kevlars we scored, cause now I'd like to bump his up to 37 but that would mean that he'd have to buy new wheels again :eek:

And I'm finding that the demand for 5 on 4.5 beadlocks is pretty low
Tires for 17's are so much more expensive though (up to $100 difference on some), but yes you are correct. There's a good amount of 37's that are only made for 17's (Kevlars, KM2's, Krawlers, Nittos, etc). I haven't decided on a tire yet, but I could use some more bling though, especially on my jalopy.

I kept pretty much all my old parts from my old setup, just because I didn't want to deal with selling it or practically giving it away. That includes a full set of 5x4.5" Allied's. I figure someday I'll try the keep-it-clean-mall-crawler-build again. :rolleyes:

Busted another shaft. $&?! %! Time for RCVs.
Details.

Busted another shaft. $&?! %! Time for RCVs.

You sure are good at breaking those aren't you?! :gee:

Thats exactly why I'm ordering rcv's and drive flanges for mine.... I don't want to deal with it! At least not with any frequency...

I think some of you guys needs to start some build threads...

Tires for 17's are so much more expensive though (up to $100 difference on some), but yes you are correct. There's a good amount of 37's that are only made for 17's (Kevlars, KM2's, Krawlers, Nittos, etc). I haven't decided on a tire yet, but I could use some more bling though, especially on my jalopy.

I have been thinking about starting a build thread, especially since it's been so quiet around here lately.... Once a few more parts arrive and things get rolling I'll start one up.

I know exactly what you mean on tire prices for 17's (and like I said the initial cost of the 17's themselves is what made me buy 15's) but I did notice that some interco tires, specifically iroks were almost the same price from 15-17. That made me feel better myself. I kinda get the feeling that 15's are being phased out more and more. Plus with brake upgrades these days a lot of people can't even run 15's.

Hindsight, I'd save the money and buy the 17's myself.

And yes Dustin, you do need some bling on that pretty rig of yours. Maybe something real blingy like some spider locks?! :looney:

Build threads can be neat to read.

So I spent all day yesterday trying to pull the rear front output shaft bearing in my np242, had to break out the carbide and the die grinder after spending 4 hours destroying the housing. At one point I had it clamped to a work bench through the rear output shaft housing while pounding away with a slide hammer, I sure hope I didn't tweak anything.

c4a1480c428d7fd873698b449286d494.jpg

334fdc1aa80873ebd475606814ab2117.jpg

Now both halfs are soaking in degreaser cause I hate dirty stuff.

Back