• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

You sure are good at breaking those aren't you?! :gee:

Thats exactly why I'm ordering rcv's and drive flanges for mine.... I don't want to deal with it! At least not with any frequency...

RCVs are a given, but I like the idea of my hubs being my weak point. Cheap, easy to replace. Make everything on the outside strong and now your pinion is the weak point .. and **** grenading a locker and gears.

I was at TSF. Climbing the hill on Firebreak 5 with all the rocks. Had my left up hard passenger on that one big rock in the middle, and climbing up to the right to get around it. SNAP-CRACKLE-POP-RICE-CHEROKEES! I limped it up the hill so I could get on flatter ground and replaced the shaft with the spare. Wheeled it for the rest of the day just fine. But, I'm done with the stock shafts. I drive around worried about the next time it's going to snap and I hate that .. it ruins the fun.
At this point, I want to dump money in to the axles and steering .. chromoly's front & rear, truss the housing, diff covers (saw someone hit a rock and open up their housing this weekend, no fun), etc.

RCVs are a given, but I like the idea of my hubs being my weak point. Cheap, easy to replace. Make everything on the outside strong and now your pinion is the weak point .. and **** grenading a locker and gears.

I hear ya! Grenading a diff is no bueno!! I just don't want to deal with hubs either. I'll roll the dice. It will either work or it won't. I still may go with the Yukon hubs, but I've got my eye on flanges for the time being.
With a Dana 44 front, I think a good set of shafts is definitely money well spent, though some guys like to swap stuff out on the trail, I'm with you. I don't want to worry about it. At least if something happens you know you did everything you could to prevent it with some quality parts

Sounds like you had a good trip though!
What are you looking to upgrade steering wise?

Well, I busted a hub up there too, but that wasn't from the inside ... I smashed it on a rock when I slide down off another. Still turns, but the housing is toast. Not too worried about it.

I'm buying a Red Head steering box from Adam. Mine's junk, the steering radius is like 30% less than stock. You have to clock the pitman arm one past center to get it to push a tire all the way to the stops and then you can't turn the other way. On the average turn you have to stop and do like a 5 point turn to get the ****er to go anywhere. SO ****ING ANNOYING on Cedar Tree @ TSF.
I already put on a WJ steering arm (longer, more throw), and the rest of the steering is bulletproof. I do need to borrow Adam's awesome step-bit though because I need to make the hole in the tierod bigger so I can slide the drag link in more. Then I can finally install "the cure" to get rid of that play/slop in the steering wheel. Anyway, lots of shit.

And yea, that diff cover Ruffstuff makes is awesome. I was literally just looking at that earlier tonight. That, and their Ford 9" factory truss >.>

I was at TSF. Climbing the hill on Firebreak 5 with all the rocks. Had my left up hard passenger on that one big rock in the middle, and climbing up to the right to get around it. SNAP-CRACKLE-POP-RICE-CHEROKEES!
Did the u-joint break, or shaft break? Stock shaft, with what type of u-joint? I'm surprised you broke on FB5. I mean... it's FB5. :D

Shitty deal, but at least you were prepared, and kept on wheeling. Get a new shaft, make sure there's a good Spicer u-joint, and even tack the caps for extra insurance. I bet you'd be golden unless you drive like the Skinners.

U-Joint. Always the Joint. It was a Spicer too. I think the last one was a Spicer too. Welded caps are great ... but at some point with $100 shafts, I'm going to get close to RCVs, and RCVs have a lifetime warranty. Plus, there's the shitty ass time and bullshit involved with a trailside repair that I have to deal with while everyone waits on you.

Didn't do jack sh!t to the Xj, but I did come home to several more packages! :D
And even some packages at work too.

I'm just patiently waiting for a few more pieces to show, and then I can really get going.

In the meantime, I've decided to get crazy and cut up my purdy Rustys fenders, well the rears anyway. Gonna stretch the fender and wheel wells ~3" to clear the tires better and so I can move the rear back an inch or so.

Gonna have to get busy this weekend, and knock out as much little stuff as I can

Replaced thermostat with a 195, swapped back to the factory airbox, greased all fittings, lubed heims, massively improved steering with some advice from adam, setup up a replacement shaft with a new spicer joint, cleaned the interior, packed more tools and reorganized the back, and some other shit I can't remember.

Well, since I have no axles under the jeep, I figured what better time to do the oil pan gasket (fel pro), rear main, and oil filter adapter?!
So much easier with nothing under the jeep!
Pulled the starter, drained the oil and got started on that. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow, then I'll do the header, brown dog brackets, and brown dog rubbers next weekend. Again, should be way easier to do that having so much space from underneath! Trying to get as much of this stupid little crap done as I can so I can focus on suspension when everything gets here...

Also sold my 15" racelines and the iroks that I was running today! :D
That was cool! Now I finally have the money to get the rest of my suspension stuff and hopefully have this turd rolling by the end of the month....

Haha, you don't know about my irok addiction do you?
I still have 3 sets of iroks.....
And 1.5 sets of racelines.....

I really need to quit buying everyone's junk.....

Adam helped me out with a couple things today. Got my hands on his reamer (tapered bit) and got the tie rod reamed out so I could get the end on the drag link to sit flush with "The Cure" installed. Literally no slop/play any more which is flipping amazing. Found out the popping was from a loose track bar and that's gone now. Finally, my cam synchronizer on it's way out so I used my buddy's account and got one coming (and a good brand too and with the sensor as well) for $66 tomorrow by 10am. All goes well, my best will be ready for TSF this Saturday so I can hurry up and break another shaft. Yay! Thanks again Adam

I sat in the garage for a little while staring at the jeep, pouting....

Wish I was wheeling this weekend! :(

I know it will all be worth it in the end, just want it done already.

Back