• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Bearings are built to very exacting tolerances. The shims are really there to accommodate variances in the housings more often than not.

That was my thought.... Here's hoping! Otherwise, I need to buy some of the Yukon super shims for the carrier. It's nice that the shims are outboard, but not if you have to mess with thin shims. I did that once long ago before super shims existed and it sucked!

The biggest question mark for me is this weird concept of putting 10.25 gears in a 10.5. I'm not sure what twist that throws in. Hopefully the different pinion bearing makes up the difference accurately.

Variances in the housing and variances in the pinion gear. I have generally had good luck reusing the original pinion shim to get the correct depth. The original shims make for a great starting point, but you'll still need to measure and do a pattern check to make sure everything is copacetic.
Yep.

I started with the same thickness of shims in my rear axle and got the pattern right first shot. I'm still welding on the front so I'm going to do gears for it after I'm done.

But I'm making progress on a nice day.

f33cbc0c06bdb79bebf75962b384377c.jpg

24f8d3d2f034e8712487e83b0cd6b6f9.jpg

Finally got around to replacing the ol' DRONE-O-MAX muffler. I like my Jeep again. :)

Yep.

I started with the same thickness of shims in my rear axle and got the pattern right first shot. I'm still welding on the front so I'm going to do gears for it after I'm done.

But I'm making progress on a nice day.

f33cbc0c06bdb79bebf75962b384377c.jpg

24f8d3d2f034e8712487e83b0cd6b6f9.jpg

That floor is bringing bad flashbacks of my front axle build! Between the housing strip and the caliper grinding, I buried myself in the black snow.

That floor is bringing bad flashbacks of my front axle build! Between the housing strip and the caliper grinding, I buried myself in the black snow.

Ugh. Seriously. Nightmares. Make it stop

Yeah, that's all of the debris from taking off 2 track bar mounts, 4 shock mounts, 3 spring perches and 2-3/8" off the driver side of the front housing (which was the 4th spring perch). I'm going to go on a cleaning binge tomorrow before I start reassembling it.

Last edited:
I have used over 100 4.5 cutting wheels and around 100 4.5 grinding wheels on the recent work and over 50 7 inch cutting wheels just cutting the sides out...lol...after a few weekends of black boogers I ordered a respirator from Miller to use under my hood .

I have used over 100 4.5 cutting wheels and around 100 4.5 grinding wheels on the recent work and over 50 7 inch cutting wheels just cutting the sides out...lol...after a few weekends of black boogers I ordered a respirator from Miller to use under my hood .

Yeah, if I was going to be cutting or grinding much more I'd get a respirator but I'm done for now.

Finally got around to replacing the ol' DRONE-O-MAX muffler. I like my Jeep again. :)

I put a 30 degree glass pack on my old zj 5.2 it was cool the for about one week I had 35s on the stock 3.73 ratio and to get moving you always were putting your foot in it and it was sounding like bandimere speedway and you were barely novibg and at cruise rpm the drone in cab sounded more like John Deere than Jeep Grand Cherokee. ..I need to quiet this one down some as I can not hear a spotter over the motor very easy .

Holy crap! Pics! Nice!

They are about a month old much metal work done since...lol...still have not finished the paddenger side door skin fit up or the stud assembly for the rear passenger door to bolt to everytime I do some crap happens fire ban...or setting my yard on fire...I need to drop the gas tank put in the cargo srea I already built that to drop the tank in then plate the rest of the inner rails add two subframe crossmem bers drop all internal cage pillars into that , and then finish that hydro mount the psc cylinder is an old one with no machine work for clamp detention just a smooth body , so at each end of the cylinder I'm going drop in a detent keep it from moving...I got to get better pics of a few things that size better for the naxja pic limits ...Hopefully this is on trail shortly ...lol...I frenched the rear frame rails for the coil buckets , but a set of ORI struts would look better in that notched out rail.

I put a 30 degree glass pack on my old zj 5.2 it was cool the for about one week I had 35s on the stock 3.73 ratio and to get moving you always were putting your foot in it and it was sounding like bandimere speedway and you were barely novibg and at cruise rpm the drone in cab sounded more like John Deere than Jeep Grand Cherokee. ..I need to quiet this one down some as I can not hear a spotter over the motor very easy .
I might even put the radio back in the dash! :listenmus

Back