• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Tell me about it. But with me the under the knife wasn't my rig, it was me.

Ouch. That's no good.

I figure, by the time I stop working on this thing and actually get to drive it, I'll be to decrepit to climb up in it anymore!

Ouch. That's no good.

I figure, by the time I stop working on this thing and actually get to drive it, I'll be to decrepit to climb up in it anymore!

Come one one guy working on his rig alone in his spare non work time should be able to build a complete buggy xj from axles up in under a year ...just like Mathew from BJ ...what is taking you and I so long. ???...LOL

Come one one guy working on his rig alone in his spare non work time should be able to build a complete buggy xj from axles up in under a year ...just like Mathew from BJ ...what is taking you and I so long. ???...LOL

That used to be me... I think I did my 3 link and HP44 and FF 60 axle swap with re-gear and hydro assist all in a couple months.

That was before kids!

Now I just buy parts on the internet and watch them pile up.

That was before kids!

Now I just buy parts on the internet and watch them pile up.

LOL...... been there..... now I have next to no free time and what little I do have the wife has dibs.........and the parts...... no point in buying any right now..... :greensmok

While back I asked about bracing the front spring mount, and this is what I came up with. I had to hack out the factory brace for for the floor I had to cut out, so I think this will work good. Still might add some dimpled 16g over the front. Now just to finish the other side.

29535212204_a91498b150.jpg

Pic makes it look weird, they're not all crooked. The middle is offset so the plate spans the width of the frame but tie in is over the inner side.

Finally got my SYE in for the np241. I was all psyched to get the final piece of the new driveline assembled, but got sabotaged by a snap ring. The snapping by the synchro / mode ring stretched a bit when I pulled it apart, and I don't want to leave it in there as loose as it is now. Sheesh, apparently you can't count on 25 year old snap rings to stay tight!

The parts all look good. This is the kit from High Angle Driveline. Took q
2e0a37518b0820daf36779218f8134e2.jpg

Continued from my fat finger accidental submit above!

Took quite a while to get in, but it all looks good.
Check out the 1410 output yoke compared to my 1350 D60 yoke. I'm going to do 1350 CV up front and 1410 rear non CV.
ac62fc2088abaf31d8e8c652710958f6.jpg

I'm soooo close to at least getting the new drivetrain set in the "frame".

Well nothing until I get the trailer registeted again so I can take it down the big hill to work on it...set a fire outside today that could have ended up on the news and feel hot work and the storage lot are no good for each other...And fun note I took it for a 40mph spin around the block , and handled well considering my rear shocks still are nit mounted and jam nuts on my full hydro tie rods are only finger tight....when finished it should be a fun ride on the access roads ...left it flexed out for the evening on a stack of 4 38x14.50 swampers ...lol...I did this to let my neighbor view the front tire that is 55 inches off the ground since he said it did not have room to flex and needed more lift.

Anybody have any experience with Corsa Allterrain XL tires? My Super Duty needs new tires and Discount has these for 100$/tire with a 40,000 mile warranty. My BFG Rugged Terrains are barely at 40,000 and shot so for a lot less money I'm tempted to give these a try.

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/find....do&fl=&tc=CORVL0&yr=2001&pc=11358&vid=005465

Put bfg KM on got 15 k out of the back fronts are 30%...1 year is all I got need new already , but bright side is they pulled my less than county quality road with no chains , but this time I will try mild AT and just use chains .

Anybody have any experience with Corsa Allterrain XL tires? My Super Duty needs new tires and Discount has these for 100$/tire with a 40,000 mile warranty. My BFG Rugged Terrains are barely at 40,000 and shot so for a lot less money I'm tempted to give these a try.

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/find....do&fl=&tc=CORVL0&yr=2001&pc=11358&vid=005465

I have a buddy that is a manager at Discount and he recommended the Cooper Discoverer ATP for my half ton Chevy, they should be good on a Super Duty. They're more $ than $100/tire but I love them. They're great in snow/rain etc and they last forever, I'm on my second set on my second DD truck.

I have a buddy that is a manager at Discount and he recommended the Cooper Discoverer ATP for my half ton Chevy, they should be good on a Super Duty. They're more $ than $100/tire but I love them. They're great in snow/rain etc and they last forever, I'm on my second set on my second DD truck.

I bet at 100 per tire they are 31s ...lol...after running beefy 33s I would never go smaller on a fool size. I have seen china brand tires at $600 for e rated tires in 33 and that is what you want on a Superdutybif it ever tows .

I'm not upgrading tire size at all. The two stock options for my truck are 265/75r16 or 235/85r16. Both come out to a little under 32" with the 265 being a 10.5 and the 235 being a 9.25 width. As for measuring true to size, I've seen plenty of BFG, Goodyear, etc measure under size.

I prefer the look of an all terrain, plus I take my truck hunting or a bit up the trail with my ATV's being dragged behind it. I wasn't impressed with these BFG Rugged Terrains at all. I just confirmed with my friend whom I bought the truck from, they have maybe 33,000 miles on them and are basically at the wear bar. They were ok in the snow that first winter/spring but were pretty horrible this last one. There is probably a reason BFG has discontinued them.

Last edited:
I have the cooper ATP's on the Dakota -- 15,000 miles, still 13/32's on all four. They have been excellent winter tires, and while they are starting to have a little bit more road noise, remain relatively quiet for an all terrain. I imagine they would wear faster on a heavier superduty, but they appear to be pretty awesome on a mid-size.

My buddy just bought bought tires for his F350 Superduty. He had BFG ATs that didn't last very long at all, maybe 30K.

He originally bought Cooper Discoverer ATPs and returned them the next day. He said they felt like he was driving on Jello.
He then got Michelin LTX M/S2 (70K mile Warranty). So far, he says they are good, but they won't be making the 70K mile mark. He just got his first 3000 mile rotation and says he would still recommend them, but based on the wear so far he thinks they will last more like 40K-50K on the heavy pig of a truck.

It might not help that he lives up in Evergreen on lots of windy roads.

I'll note that my ATPs are E-rated, I have a buddy who had the D-rated versions and he agreed with the jello comment... coulld be the extra weight of a superduty has that effect as well, regardless of the rating.

If I could have, I would have gone with Hankook Dynapro ATMs. Love those tires!

However, since the 7.3L PSD is a heavy mother, and with me being a CCLB, there's a very select few tires I could run in a 17...the ATM's not being one of them.

I'll note that my ATPs are E-rated, I have a buddy who had the D-rated versions and he agreed with the jello comment... coulld be the extra weight of a superduty has that effect as well, regardless of the rating.

I think it's the super duty weight. He said his were E rated.

Back