• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I bought my barnes stuff through hobag this afternoon. Hopefully hanging a d44 next week

Yea I just saw in a thread the other day where he was a dealer now too. I have their D60 cross member and it's beefy! I've had good experiences with Barns and will continue to use them.

Let's see. Friday I worked on the Jeep to go wheeling with the club at Choccolocco. Got it all squared away and got my new shocks from Dan Wheeler on. I need a little more lift or a little more bumpstop in the rear. I think it's time for new leaf packs... Got to Chocco fine and started putting around. Went up Tee pee and we had an issue with a Jeep in our group that killed his transmission. It's a 50k plus dirt riot race rig. This one here:
ese6asup.jpg

Wheeled the rest of the morning and had a really good time. Still couldn't conquer one part of Cherrybomb. I just bottom out on my passenger frame rail and dented it a little. Jeep started to act like the starter was going out so I parked it at camp and played trail guide during the afternoon.

We ended up at Hell's revenge around 3:30. I started spotting my friends JKU on 37's up a V between two big boulders. Wheelbase was just too long and it was bellying out on the ledge. We pulled cable to the tree that anyone else would have to winch out. Strap around the bottom of the tree trunk and pulled it tight. I was standing behind the tree and kind of felt the root system lift up a little but the Jeep was almost over so I didn't say anything. Starting pulling on it again and I yelled to stop but the tree had made up it's mind. About 15 seconds later it came crashing down and scraped the drivers side of the Jeep pretty good. Dented the front fender, broke the door handle off, smacked the door hinge, and scrapped it all pretty good. It ended as well as it could have though. Jared (guy driving the Jeep) reached around and pushed his 3 year old's head down as far as he could and leaned into the Jeep but luckily everyone was fine and the Jeep faired as well as it could have. Made for an interesting and strange 2.5 hour recovery. Winching the Jeep and tree out and over.

vyzyjeny.jpg
py7ydahu.jpg
a4amyvy3.jpg

Pics suck coming from my phone. I'll try an get better ones up. No one thought it would come down, hard to say what else we would have done. Makes sense though. Tree was in a creek bed and a bunch of loose rock so the roots never grew out into anything substantial. Then we had a TJ flip over and get saved by a tree from rolling about 9 times down a hill. Crazy day.

Today I finished up all my stuff for my classes except for finals and saw that my ex got engaged...

Looks like you guys had a good ride.

My weekend was pretty uneventful, but good. Had to work a half day yesterday, then went and relaxed by the pool at the in-law's place. Got up this morning and took the headliner & speaker bar out of the '99 I'm parting out. The guy that wanted it showed up with a really nice stock-ish XJ. He was pretty cool and said he'd been here on NAXJA before, but never really participated. He gave me more than I was asking for the parts because he said I was more than fair and honest about what I had. An extra $25! That was great!!!!

So then I pulled Wendy's red ZJ into the shop to do some more troubleshooting on her transmission. The issue we've been having mimics a slipping torque converter, even though the one in it is a fresh remanned unit. I cut the wire going to the TCC solenoid and spliced a pair of wires to it. I ran those into the cabin and wired in a toggle switch so I could control the torque converter lockup at will. I also hooked my DVM to the wire so I could monitor the signal. I'm happy to say that the TCC signal is steady when the slipping occurs so that means it's not an electrical issue, but I discovered a new scenario.

If I turn my TCC switch to the off position I experience no slipping. If I turn it back on but now turn the OD off, when the TC locks I also get no slipping. Also, if the TCC is on and it starts slipping I can turn the TCC switch off and the RPMs will drop a bit and then everything is normal, no slipping. So far the only time I've had it happen is under 55 MPH, and it's always at a low throttle/low load situation. I took it out on the expressway today and going 65-75 MPH I experienced no slipping at all.

So to recap:
Cold trans temp, OD on, TCC on = no slipping
Hot trans temp, OD on, TCC on = slipping at light loads when OD is engaged & TC is locked
Hot trans temp, OD on, TCC off = no slipping
Hot trans temp, OD off, TCC on = no slipping
Freeway speeds, OD on, TCC on = no slipping

It seems to me that it is pointing toward a pressure issue rather than torque converter malfunction.

I feel like I'm moving in the right direction with it, but man oh man am I ever ready to get this issue resolved for good!!! :gag:

So I put it to the side and cut the grass lol

The plan is to keep the red one and sell the gold one. This is all dependent on whether or not I set fire to either one out of frustration. They both have their own set of issues that need to be dealt with, so at the moment I go back and forth making one or the other reliable lol

Got talked into driving into a swamp... Stupid friends with wranglers
well i made it about 80 yards, which was about 30 yard farther than the wrangler could go trying to "rescue me" 7 mile hike down the mountain and commandeering a dodge Got me out
10489965_10152213764897957_4965648835916566562_n.jpg

so I next day shipped a 9500lb smittybuilt winch today, wont ever happen again. And i think ill stick to rocks lol

BTW this was after washing it

I got my Power Stroke running right. The IPC was bad and it was running in the "limp home" mode. It runs like a bat out of hell now

I also installed the trailer hitch I got from Andy on my 94 DD. I used the JCR nut strips and made that an easy job! Now I have to sort out the factory tow package wire harness. It was damaged in the wreck and I cant figure out what two of the wires go to. I want to put the 7-pin back in it so I can tow my care trailer if I have to. I got the 4-flat part of the harness connected and working right, I just have to figure out the rest.

Wheeled my junk around URE with my son. He drove a lot! I was nervous a lot. Mainly because the JK's I was with bailed on me because of overheating issues. My friend got his stuff straight and came and made sure I made it back to the truck. It's good to know some people still remember what should be done. The soup bowl will be avoided from here on out! Not to self. Do not listen to your 16 year old about playing in the mud. Spent $10 in quarters getting it clean.

Wheeled my junk around URE with my son. He drove a lot! I was nervous a lot. Mainly because the JK's I was with bailed on me because of overheating issues. My friend got his stuff straight and came and made sure I made it back to the truck. It's good to know some people still remember what should be done. The soup bowl will be avoided from here on out! Not to self. Do not listen to your 16 year old about playing in the mud. Spent $10 in quarters getting it clean.

Was it running hot in Harlan?

Was it running hot in Harlan?

Some but that was fixed with a gallon of 50/50. I had more air then coolant. LOL! I feel certain it was the slow driving of my son and the mud in my radiator. Plus it puked fluid form being so hot once. I added a couple bottles of water to compensate twice on the trail. I'm fairly certain its straight now. I need to figure out what is up with my winch now.

Some but that was fixed with a gallon of 50/50. I had more air then coolant. LOL! I feel certain it was the slow driving of my son and the mud in my radiator. Plus it puked fluid form being so hot once. I added a couple bottles of water to compensate twice on the trail. I'm fairly certain its straight now. I need to figure out what is up with my winch now.

Dang, I forgot to check your alternator.

Dang, I forgot to check your alternator.

It either the new motor or the solenoids. The winch goes in but not out. I hear them click over. I guess they could be fried and not carrying current to the motor.

Either that or a bad connection or questionable wire that will allow the low amp draw of the solenoid engage, but not good enough to let a high amp draw pass. Another less likely cause could be burnt contacts in one of the solenoids. Usually if a motor is bad it won't work in either direction since all you're doing to switch from forward to reverse is simply switching the polarity to it. That's what the bank of solenoids do; switch your polarity depending on which way you need to go. At least that's my understanding of it. Warn does, however, use a three pole motor that I've never fully understood its operation lol

Last edited:
if you're hearing the solenoids click, then they're more than likely working properly. I'd guess a motor issue. Simple voltmeter check should tell you

Either that or a bad connection or questionable wire that will allow the low amp draw of the solenoid engage, but not good enough to let a high amp draw pass. Another less likely cause could be burnt contacts in one of the solenoids. Usually if a motor is bad it won't work in either direction since all you're doing to switch from forward to reverse is simply switching the polarity to it. That's what the bank of solenoids do; switch your polarity depending on which way you need to go. At least that's my understanding of it. Warn does, however, use a three pole motor that I've never fully understood its operation lol

Yea I think the contacts are toast in the solenoids. There is no voltage on the contact side. I've got two I bought before the crawl and will swap them out when time permits.

After using Tim's valve stem core remover a couple times at the crawl I thought it was a handy tool to have.

Instead of buying one though, I used an old torx head driver, a dremel, and a cut off wheel and made my own.

Works great!

SAM_0432_zps9083ca7a.jpg

Back