• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weather almost killed my wife and Jeep today

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I was on my way home today after sending off a couple sweatshirts in the mail and I came across a road block in Forest Falls. The fire men told me that the canyon above was about the flood through and if I planned to go home I needed to haul butt through there. I called my wife who was at work just a couple minutes from me and told her to get in the Jeep and get home. I drove through the area in my Explorer and there was only minor flooding and debris flow. My wife came up behind me a couple minutes later and all hell broke loose. A wall of debris, mud, boulders, and a couple cars passed right in front of her then the debris flow came up behind her and she was stuck. The mud and water began to rise until the Jeep was sitting on it's frame and couldn't be moved. I get a phone call from my wife in mass panic mode. I'm freaking out thinking she is about to be swept into Mill Creek. I turn around and see I giant wall of mud between me and her. Thank God the local fire men jumped in and yanked her out. They were able to get her back on solid ground rather quickly. Once my wife was with me and safe I put my attention back on my drowning Jeep. I sat and watched this debris flow slowly cover it up. I asked the firemen to help me get it out but there job was to save lives and not cars. I couldn't really get mad about that logic. So I decided to get my Jeep myself. I had a local Jeep guy help me go over to it with some careful navigation over the rocks and mud. I hoped in and put it in 4Lo and just started throwing into drive and reverse over and over until it started getting loose. I eventually got enough space in the mud to gun it up and out. It took a few minutes of me pissing myself and just flooring it across mud and boulders and rushing water but I finally got it back onto high ground. My Jeep actually survived even though the mud was over the hood. Gotta love a Jeep. I know I caused severe damage to my rig cosidering how hard and fast I hit some of the rocks but I didn't have any other option. Please don't tell me how stupid I was to try and save my Jeep. I am aware of that bone head move. I wasn't thinking clearly when I did it and would not have done it again. Once I got the Jeep unstuck I realized how dangerous of a situation I was in. My Jeep isn't worth risking my life. My wife was NOT too happy with my decision making today and in hindsight I don't blame her. Sorry for the long story but I am so excited to have my wife home safely and my Jeep still kinda alive. Anyone else have some cool stories from this crazy weather.

wow bro thank god you both are safe ... and yes screw the rig that is what insurance is for!! if you need any help wrenching to get her fixed.. you know who to call bro!!!

Crap, thats nuts... glad your wife is ok.

Any pics of the damage ?

Damn glad to hear that everyone is ok! Did you get any pics with your phone by chance? That would be cool to see... I would have done the same thing you did as far as rescuing the jeep, and that's one hell of a good story! Glad to hear your wife/you/jeep are safe!

A) Glad to herar you and the Jeep are OK.
B) Don't do it again, we don't need to see you on the 11 o'clock news.

Last edited:
Glad you and your wife are ok Brad. Thats risky business right there. Nice of you buddy to get you close enough to save your rig Jeeps are expendable your life is not. It was not your time to go yet bro. Like steve i'm willing to help be a wrench monkey with your rig if you need it.

Glad you and your wife are OK.... and the Jeep too.....

glad you're safe, as stupid as it is to go back for the jeep i probably would have done the same thing. don't do it again :D

Crazy story. Glad it worked out and the family is safe and the Jeep too. I remember seeing Mill Creek at flood down in Mentone the last time there was a big mudslide in Forest Falls. It looked crazy and mean.

And, um, that offer to trade Jeeps... I might have to take that back now.

Wow man. You guys got lucky on that one. I would be freakin out if my Jeep was stuck in water that high...I mean my g/f. :twak:

Very glad to hear you two are ok.

Jeep-1
Mother Nature-0 :thumbup:

Glad you two are safe!!!

But I have to ask what was the wife doing driving the jeep?

X2!!

Dude, glad to hear it turned out relatively OK. I have to say, after making sure the little lady is safe I would have rescued my Jeep too. I couldn"t stand to watch it get thrashed if there were any chance I could save it.

Glad you two are safe!!!

But I have to ask what was the wife doing driving the jeep?

We both needed 4x4 with these winter conditions and I have more faith in my Jeep then my Explorer so I wanted my wife driving the vehicle that could handle the most extreme conditions. If she would have been driving the Explorer she would be dead.

Insane! glad you are all oK. Where was Brodie in all this?

Brody was with Me the whole time and he could since how scared I was and was freaking out too. During the time the firemen were pulling my wife from the Jeep I was completely loosing it. I thought she was going to die and Brody knew something was wrong.

I'm gonna hike down to the mudslide location in a bit and take pics. I'm not sure I will be able to get to my Jeep because it is on the other side and the canyon continued to dump debris throughout the night. I will be able to take pics of the other cars that were around my wife; assuming they aren't down in Mentone by now.

We both needed 4x4 with these winter conditions and I have more faith in my Jeep then my Explorer so I wanted my wife driving the vehicle that could handle the most extreme conditions. If she would have been driving the Explorer she would be dead.

Makes sense! Just be thankful you had Brody with you!

So you guys are stranded up there until they clear the road?

Back