• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for me to buy some suspension joints.

iant333

NAXJA Forum User
Gonna ditch my clunky bushings and go with joints on my control arms.

I've been searching around and I think I'm gonna get regular rubber bushings for the axle end and Johnny Joints for the frame end.

Where can I buy good quality rubber bushings? My Rusty's LCA ones have gone bad twice in two month's and I need ones for my leaf springs as well since the Rough Country ones just went bad after about a year. I don't want to have to continue replacing these and it is really annoying to drive around when every single bushing on the whole jeep clicks.

How are Johnny Joints? My main concern is longevity, I don't want something I'm going to have to rebuild every couple months. Basically I want whatever lasts the longest and doesn't suck in every other way.

I'm not sure what to actually order though, on their website they have all these sizes and some of them come on a threaded rod to use with adjustable arms. I currently have Rusty's fixed lowers (which take stock sized bushings) and stock uppers. What sizes am I going to want?

Loaded question.

It would probably be cheaper to simply start with new arms, then to try and make existing arms work. You would have to cut the existing bushing housings off and possibly re-cope/re-notch the tubing for whatever joint you buy. Most of the aftermarket arms support poly bushings. There are ways to make rubber ones work .... but you run back into that time vs cost factor.

Rubicon offers an arm with a joint & rubber bushing. The newest arms have a different bushing that is said to be more durable than ones ones of years past.

Thread size depends on the size of your tubing and the tubing adapter you decide to use. Find out what size the Rusty's arms are (OD, and wall thickness) and then it would be easier too make a size suggestion.

The arms I make for my customers ... for instance: 2 inch .250 wall tubing that use 1.25 x 12 PI thread. Most of my customers prefer double joints ... but I have made arms using the OE style rubber bushing at one end. I tend to avoid poly bushings due to longevity issues.

Joe

The factory uppers are 2.0 I think, the lowers are 2.5.

Dont they make joints that literally press right in much in the same way as replacing a bushing?

The factory uppers are 2.0 I think, the lowers are 2.5.

Dont they make joints that literally press right in much in the same way as replacing a bushing?

i have never seen this.

but you are better off with new arms.

the main cost would be the new joints anyway.

I think i'm gonna stick to rubber bushings then, I dont want them enough to justify spending a couple hundred bucks. Maybe when I upgrade my uppers I will get some with a joint.

Gonna ditch my clunky bushings and go with joints on my control arms.

I've been searching around and I think I'm gonna get regular rubber bushings for the axle end and Johnny Joints for the frame end.

Where can I buy good quality rubber bushings? My Rusty's LCA ones have gone bad twice in two month's and I need ones for my leaf springs as well since the Rough Country ones just went bad after about a year. I don't want to have to continue replacing these and it is really annoying to drive around when every single bushing on the whole jeep clicks.

How are Johnny Joints? My main concern is longevity, I don't want something I'm going to have to rebuild every couple months. Basically I want whatever lasts the longest and doesn't suck in every other way.

I'm not sure what to actually order though, on their website they have all these sizes and some of them come on a threaded rod to use with adjustable arms. I currently have Rusty's fixed lowers (which take stock sized bushings) and stock uppers. What sizes am I going to want?

Something seems odd here. I know rusty's bushings suck to some extent but I don't hear of his bushings going bad twice in two months. Are you torquing the bolt down with the jeep on the ground or with the axles drooped?

Back