• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA Axle end bushings - rubber popping out of sleeve

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all....I'm aware there is information deep in the abyss on this. I've found information...but not what I'm looking for. This place is dead compared to many years ago, so here's a new thread.

Background - ~2 - 2.5" lift, Rubicon Express upper control arms, flex joint at the body. I'm keeping this Jeep as "stock" as possible....no major modifications to the body (cutting off brackets, etc).

The Problem - I replaced my axle end UCA bushings last year with Moog. I've only taken my sway bar off once in that time for a short trail ride...then maybe 2-3k miles of total street driving. The rubber of both bushings have already pushed out of the sleeve.

What I want - Bushings to last a bit longer...and I doubt there is much better than Moog for stock replacement bushings.

Current Plan - I just placed an order for a UCA tower from Stinky fab, as well as some press in Johnny Joints. I am unsure if going to a Johnny Joint flex joint will alleviate the issue or cause other issues at the frame end.

I'm sure many of you have had issues with stock style bushings failing quickly with light off-road use. What did you do to rectify the issue (within reason of a mild XJ)? All I know is I'll generally do what it takes to make it reliable...aside from cutting off LCA mounts and going to long arms at this point.

SjuYPuLgqPCamrMzm7e2mG2GK7WYHjLLe5hcvxC1XwA0O09gNsi7tSogwTA-wiBztSy1pCW5OwaeooFz9PxP6DrOydwXk743L0DCQapvQmSSFaXibQVP2f790mWWceWIhCyCqZ_GQSSNMRcbjtLdfXf60kW6HdPdWzeR20u_-LxCHcBN4SRSW7IsutYtopfZjbf6pW2hON2TGm1Coi9ecDRSlPEUGFZI9_R3mIV_MDfJQWNykyPPo2dKD3Oum_X4S-NSCbppxwPZ7XX3EK9raWw4tTC0TUjhg-3Q2z40tOUKkOS526PfWRxvLNgCgfe-7EmIkpdvb-ZXM7xcLvZ1prfdFmM2qmJ9bWNFVJuND54bilaFDgSX4vfOz7Etao-vCGyvyXo5UOXF5ETq0SJFjcQ5jVpXSfcGPq5BO3hGpIEnwcsX9UjY44BRHJA2povY1XrgZpWxx-lNnma4JfXLJmjpz2aMy02fcplT9uD3IGC5lBDcBkKWMk-FxjUMgro6aId6eJt8ha5UvBnX_rQ4eAn1ZOTLqvAZM2GBHMVXjFSp_P5LW_Ow74rvbdeYW7DD-oyNIdsSYIrnuoFNZs6RzY1aLOIrT3gbedeNJVbBrAmUMsWD-fr5hzDlFcOl6fbiPMZjh8WivDzxHFcuEp8JlyAEZM5Qv3F7YVn54ma0crpkAJB1ABjHNa49rwJMV6ZJcXnZu89MqWdP7xtcR6jtpt44=w1250-h937-no

r6xNWTyxlkMT7p-8LctRxPH01GoD67tWZiKCIvnAGWWu5ctOuD7VKxiF7yR4CSJIHdEsn_D62IyHtd0TrY30LvqP1g-_zegHU4l5P3lXO4G3tso2OINhCV1jPEPtqPI65RWdjSz9X2wrqFFJj4iA_P3HlEr5p2b9hRO4JT5nh82ZbE_6H0O19EOxaR7VIXRDsIX8l8-yfTqEOdHz6P5dX_fc1oPPlFb9-jMD8MebQDYezvW0MDRYCWl9RMBLuioRQIZL3_WuaOQrVLc73nKxkP3rXY0wJfUN7bbeC9OcZ9t6cfhZaeLjX-NCYkldxQDqlA-FQPX_HbHoRTAPUty7EMF-7SaIblQowHELbpBDeIwy1kZsNlFdv0_12_6OOeIwpJ0yXAqCXRsvMtN3liSCwaUhkDvQ-750Q8RHCJjNPp6_FzszxDnyk1p6myfwkUx157J_OsT1jPOdodX-HLs6breaaggnEPjowlbKaXr04rdFAlMIuUsXSD_LcUB-GQzICTLg1Snx_LnV2maNli48dmP24Tn0lgZC85IwQ6_Fj5x68PjYyIjg64CL_yT2abJI1l1HICGPcSo4pq6GcbSIur-oXdjjukapnWn1o1WEOz0_hCR8fuxtiNUh5la0WHfVtUrEblOYu2_xZJZeO_IgHxKOrvUHp6DPbTLoNuVNhBQq0VuelARc1oCMxLZz3B00b89m6vNUZP-I-HdDifvFSz_V=w1250-h937-no

The Moog Problem Solver line of parts last longer, but I always make sure to get Clevite bushings.

OmixAda and Crown Automotive and any Chinese or India parts from AutoZone and O'Rielly typically fit poorly and fail quickly.

Last edited:
The Problem - I replaced my axle end UCA bushings last year with Moog.

Sounds like the OP started off with what should have been good parts and they failed the same as you would expect of Crown/Omix/Chicom garbage.

This is not the first time I have seen someone disappointed by Moog.

SFR & Johnny Joints sounds like a reasonable plan.

Yes to Anak's response. I thought I was buying at least on the higher end of the spectrum of quality. The Johnny Joint way should hopefully be a good long option.

I did try to locate Clevite bushings instead of Moog when I last replaced them. Where does one actually source those? It's extremely difficult with everywhere listing their offering as "Clevite style." Does anyone have a consistent source for them?

I am warrantying these bushings through the retailer. I went to take them out, and they actually are Clevite branded. Reading around now that Moog has reboxed them. Hoping it was just a bad batch.

Are you torquing the bolts at ride height?
Running the bolt down with an impact with the axle hanging with cause a short life span. It over stretches the rubber.

Good questions...info I left out. Sure am on all fronts. I have always been extremely anal about torque specs. Also always assure bushings to be non-loaded at static height.

Back