• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts?

Agreed, if you do it before cutting the body.

I have seen a cut up XJ last a loooong time with more than this chopped off with not one thing done to the rails or any cage work .The XJ below had the roof from the b-pillar back chopped off for long time b4 Seth put a cage in it ,and it had no frame plating, and the body did flex badly ,but it did not fall apart . I plan on keeping my XJ until I get tired of it and move on to another platform ,so my XJ has much more structural support than this .

th

hey hey don't drag me into this mess, lol.

Sorry brother, I just did it to give him a visual confirmation of his piss poor decision on cutting structural sheet metal out of his rig before securing the integrity of the rest of that body. :laugh3::roflmao::moon:

This only works if you weld braces into the back before cutting. I hope you did that before opening the tailgate.
The body will keep on cracking along those sharply cut corners, even after you plate it.
Ask Grimmy for some pictures of cracks in his Jeeps body, before he started cutting panels away.

Missed this post...

Not worried about it. This thing will not move until all of the structure has been added back/increased.

And the hatch was open before we started... Still closes fine

Missed this post...

Not worried about it. This thing will not move until all of the structure has been added back/increased.

And the hatch was open before we started... Still closes fine

You missed my point completely Taylor. To make your rig into anything worth while, you should have measured it square and welded in some braces before cutting it up.
Anybody can weld crooked sheet metal together and make it look ok .

Geometry is the most important factor in anything you're trying to build if you want it to perform flawlessly.

Just ask some of our members here who are into real racing, they will tell you how important it is.

You missed my point completely Taylor. To make your rig into anything worth while, you should have measured it square and welded in some braces before cutting it up.

Geometry is the most important factor in anything you're trying to build if you want it to perform flawlessly.

Just ask some of our members here who are into real racing, they will tell you how important it is.

someone here races nascar?

So what you're saying is... It's gonna fold....

like a taco?

:roflmao:

I appreciate the criticism... But I'm really not worried about it. Maybe I will be wrong, and my jeep will never work again... But I doubt it.

Shut up and build your own jeep.

this is where I am now... doesn't look like much yet.

side of the unirail is plated, needs a forward piece. The bottom of it will have to wait until the rest is finished so I can, support the rear end and disconnect the springs to pull the HD offroad relocation brackets.

the top plate will be welded to the floor. and welded to the outer unibody plate as well as an inner unibody plate that hasn't been made.

need to re-route the fuel filler hoses a bit to gain some clearance for the fender panel to fit how I want. anyone have any tips?

haven't decided how I am going to do the bumper tie-in with the fender... decisions decisions.

do yourself a favor, pull the gas tank before you weld that strip to the floor. don't melt slag holes in your filler neck hose like I did :shocked:

do yourself a favor, pull the gas tank before you weld that strip to the floor. don't melt slag holes in your filler neck hose like I did :shocked:

I can't pull my tank yet because I can't get the shackle relocation brackets off until I can support the rear of the vehicle from the axle, which I do not want to do until I have the structure.

I should've done it first. But I didn't think about it before we stared cutting.

I will protect the filler neck hoses before any more welding.

Back