• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

Thanks!

Starting to build the rest of the exo
DSC00434.jpg

BIGWOODY said:
When I first saw this thread I thought "WTF is this guy thinking"....I'll shut up now...looks like it turned out pretty nice and original would be an understatement.
Could not have said it better myself!

87xjco said:
Thanks!

Starting to build the rest of the exo
DSC00434.jpg

This build is CRAZY, crazy enough to work. It looks great, awesome work.

You need to put some Toyota badges on it. It says Jeep in the front above the grill. You should add a "?" mark next to it. And/Or put some Toyota stickers on the doors.

Two questions...

1. Wouldn't it have been easier just to find an MJ? I know it wouldn't have been as much FUN. ;)

2. What's it registered as/what VIN? :D that would be an interesting conversation with the DMV "Well I took a Jeep engine, fenders, front clip, on a home made front frame, and put it on a Toyota Cab, and took off the Toyota bed in lew of steel tubing."

hats off to ya.

somehow Im betting he didn't mention the handbuilt front frame... no matter his skills, government functionaries tend to freak at such a thought.

I was getting tired of reading all of the praise in this thread so I thought I'd write some instead.

Whatever the process, the end result is beautiful...and functional.

As far as what to call it:

When my mom ran her '68 Plymouth Fury III into a utility pole, my dad and I took all the front clip off of a '67 Dodge Monaco and put it on the Fury. We rattle canned it ChryCo gold fleck and drove it for another 5 years (total nearly 400,000 miles). It had "Plymouth" on the front and "Dodge" on the rear. I drove it for my last few years in college and it was always funny to see whether a campus parking ticket was going to say Plymouth or Dodge, depending on whether the cop was standing at the front or rear of the car when he wrote the ticket. I finally sold it for scrap in Georgetown, SC when the tranny front seal went out (I know, but I was in an apartment with no tools at the time).

Of course, in our case the motor and VIN were always original. There was never any question of what it really was. Over the years, though, we came to call it the MonaFury.

burntkat said:
somehow Im betting he didn't mention the handbuilt front frame... no matter his skills, government functionaries tend to freak at such a thought.
You can register just about anything in NC...my buddy just got a "custom" title for his buggy and didn't even need a cat b/c it was propane powered.

we dont even have inspection here any more. Even when we had them $20 to the station and he gave you teh sticker. Usually didn't even check anything....

yup, I'
m in Charelston, I remember when the stations got popped for it a few years ago.

SCORE!! - front & rear dana 44

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

They are out of a 88 Waggy.
I plan to put full Detroit lockers front and rear with 4.88 gears.
I'll leave the drum brakes on the rear. i already have new 6 hole steel wheels. I'll use the Warn hubs off of the 83 waggy I bought.

So I have to build front coil spring perches and control arm brackets and I will probably rotate the knuckles.

I don't think I will do alloy or heat treated axles. ( when they break, it's alot more expensive and spare stock ones are cheap).

could you do us the favor of documenting how you build your front suspension bracketry?

I have the same axles [well, 83 Waggy] ready to go into my XJ and this is the only thing preventing me from doing it.

burntkat said:
could you do us the favor of documenting how you build your front suspension bracketry?

I have the same axles [well, 83 Waggy] ready to go into my XJ and this is the only thing preventing me from doing it.

Sure, but you might want to check into some pre-made ones. Currie has 'em and I'm sure a few other places make them.

Lower bars of the cage are on.
DSC00466.jpg

Ob1.jpg

I also added some boat tub style skid plates that give the rockers alot of strength and protection and I already broke them in good.
DSC00487.jpg

dfreeman616 said:
looks nice, altho i wonder if those sides will collect mud? i don't know how much you will be dealing with.

I wondered about that too. And they do, just a little mud in carnage canyon but they collected it, especially up front. I try to avoid mud mostly but it happens.
I think i'll drill some 1" or 1 1/2" holes along the bottom next to the frame.

Lol, stirring up an old thread, but...
Haven't been here for awhile, and this thing turned out amazing! Hope you're still working on it, and I think we're all still curious what the interior looks like at this point.

Thanks!

Working on the rest of the exo....slowly (no pictures yet). It's too hot in the afternoons lately to get much done. Sunday 6/25 is going to be a cage building party, should get it most of the way done.

I just ordered lockers and gears for the Dana 44's that are going in. Hope to have the exo and axles done for Coloradofest.

Sorry on the interior. I'm putting that off and it's going to be a winter project. I'm not doing anything real special, just more sound deadener and carpet. Might fab up a console.

Terry

87xjco said:
Sure, but you might want to check into some pre-made ones. Currie has 'em and I'm sure a few other places make them.

yeah, I just can't see giving them $400 for a few pieces of steel.

87xjco said:
Thanks!

Working on the rest of the exo....slowly (no pictures yet). It's too hot in the afternoons lately to get much done. Sunday 6/25 is going to be a cage building party, should get it most of the way done.

I just ordered lockers and gears for the Dana 44's that are going in. Hope to have the exo and axles done for Coloradofest.

Sorry on the interior. I'm putting that off and it's going to be a winter project. I'm not doing anything real special, just more sound deadener and carpet. Might fab up a console.

Terry

alright that is just too long to wait... get going next sunday is still 7 days away damn it

Back