• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

So I cut all the tack welds and removed the top section of the cage so I could weld all the junctions and paint all but the last couple of inches of each tube where it joins with the lower section.
Dsc00615.jpg

Here it is installed and most of the painting done.
L1.jpg

T1.jpg

I still need to add short tubes with some plates on each side of the doors, so I can make removable door tubes, and some corner gussets.

Well after reading the title of this thread I had to check it out. 19 pages later and I am throughly impressed. Everything has come together pretty well.

The only gripe I have is the flatbed. The wood looks sweet don't get me wrong but I think it would have really added to the look to find a 'yota bed or the lower rear quarters from the XJ and have used them as lower bed sides. You could still keep the flatbed aspect but add a little to the looks of the side view with some sheet metal covering the rear frame area. Overall I would give it a 9.8 outta 10. By the way I have had many 'yotas before evolving into a XJ.

My dream project involves a VW bettle (air cooled style) and a CJ5 frame.

A Wise Chinaman once said.

"He who has strong imagination, endless talent....and a good welder will go far in life"

I bow to you sir. That is a nice rig!

Have any shots of the xota dash or interior yet?

i would imagine by now that there is a slight chance that you might have grown fond of your rig, so we'll keep this hypothetical: if you were to sell you rig (for what ever reason) what do you think you'd put it up for? and how much to build me one?:D

I've thought a little about the cost if someone wanted a similar rig. Along the same lines of wondering how a fabrication shop could make a profit doing this kind of work. Or how I could make a profit doing fab. work.

Frankly. I don't know how a fabrication shop can survive. I guess they have to be real smart about what they use and fabricate when building a rig. Otherwise no one could afford to have a rig built with this much fabrication. I now have about 500 hours into this rig. Granted a fab. shop with all the cool tools, could do it much faster. But even if they only spent 200 hours and charged $60 per hour, that's $12,000.00. And they probably charge more than $60 per hour.

But there are probably cheaper ways of buiding the same type rig. Like if you started with a non-ifs frame, kept it all Toyota(or whatever make your building) and used parts were utilized. Good descisions would have to be made about what parts can be bought that would reduce the needed fab. time. etc...

But to answer your questions;

I wouldn't sell this rig or build someone one, with all this fabrication on it, it's just too much work to get done and still have a day job. If I had to build one as a business necessity, i'd quote it at about $25,000.00 and I would still be hoping that the customer said no.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun project and i'm glad I built it. I am very happen with the end product. I just don't want to do it again.

Terry

Out with the D35 with 4.56 and Detroit, in with the D44 with 4.88 and Detroit

Dsc00645.jpg

I still need to build some shock mount brackets and weld them on. And I think I will change the upper shock mount location more outboard.

87xjco said:
Out with the D35 with 4.56 and Detroit, in with the D44 with 4.88 and Detroit

Dsc00645.jpg

I still need to build some shock mount brackets and weld them on. And I think I will change the upper shock mount location more outboard.

and ditch the blocks?

:D

Yes, ideally the blocks should be ditched. But I think i'll wait to get the right lift, rear leafs, until i've had some more trail time and finish building stuff.

One reason is because of the expense and all the money i've spent lately. Also i've been running these blocks and springs for 3 years and never noticed much spring wrap or axle hop.

But once I have this rig all built, with all the weight of tool compartments, additional tubing, etc, that i'll be putting on this winter. I'll measure and get the right springs to eliminate the blocks.

87xjco said:
O...

you could mount them all together different, maybe both forward to help reduce axle wrap/hop..
like put mounts on the rear of the axle tube (and above the "drag-line") allowing the body of the shock to agle forward over the axle and up to a stud/top mount on the inside of the frame rail..

rsliman said:
WE WANT UPDATES!
dude, other than the intirior it was done. :twak:

Yeah, it's mostly done and i've been enjoying wheeling it alot. Frankly I got sick of working on it by the time I was done. There's been a few small problems but all in all, it has wheeled great. It's done 14 trails so far this year and did the hard ones real well.

Interior is a winter project.

When I do the interior I want to pull out the dash and re-route the wiring loom where it has shorted against a metal edge a couple of times and also wire up the heater fan and controls that were never hooked up. This will have the rig down for awhile because I want to take my time and wrap and route the loom really nice.

I will probably have to make my own door panels, because I can't find any good ones used or aftermarket.

The list is growing for winter projects. from some problems i've found.

Like I need to redo my front bumper for more clearance, corners keep hitting.

Need to build better front spring seats, the springs clunk & make noise.

I want to do Hydro assist steering

My fan hits the metal shroud I made, when engine is under heavy torque, and I keep hoping it will clearance itself, but it doesn't. Maybe a motor mount problem there.

I want to build a tool compartment under the front part of the bed. There's a pretty wide area available that's about 10" deep.

I also want to add a rail around the bed for better cargo containment.

I'll post pic's on all that I do.

Thanks for all the interest and support on this project!!!!

Terry

blah, that toyota in the second link is a trailer queen/grass mudder. I don't care about the 30 spline shafts the front 44 has, it's not strong enough to handle 44" boggers behind a mild v6, much less a 350HP LT1 V8.

It might look cool, but I'd take the Xota over that thing easily.

Thanks guy's for the support.

I'd sure like to have some of the parts from that Yota, or the whole truck for that matter.

Out of my price range though

Back