• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

Looks great!

2 questions:

1 Do you have any interior shots?

2. How do you get the spare out?

Sweet job!!

pardon this- haven't been following the build-

looks like a MJ to me-- what's so special about it?

EDIT: taking some getting used to the new nav features-- I've been away for a bit..

HOLY CRAP that's a killer build! :D

Last edited:
So what parts are we looking at-- Toyo cab and doors, XJ hood and radiator trim, and Toyo fenders?

Hell of a job, either way it cuts up-- it all looks like it works together perfectly-- like something the factory built. How much shaping was required with fiberglass, etc?

just read the last 15 pages..
burntkat said:
So what parts are we looking at-- Toyo cab and doors, XJ hood and radiator trim, and Toyo fenders?

Hell of a job, either way it cuts up-- it all looks like it works together perfectly-- like something the factory built. How much shaping was required with fiberglass, etc?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It does look alot like an MJ but that's allright with me.

Not much fiberglass work, just used as a little filler where the two fenders were spliced together.

Burntkat: it's really Cherokee everything except, cab, doors, 2" of the fenders and frame.

mack said:
just read the last 15 pages..

hmm.. damn thread keeps getting longer every time I look at it. Not sure I like this new setup.

Update;

The Xota has had a few trail runs so far and I am real happy with how it wheels. !st week I took it to CORE and I was a little bummed out. I didn't think I was getting near the articulation I had before the rebuild (when it was an XJ with 5" lift). But I now think that I was mis-leading myself, and that CORE was a lot harder to judge capability and articulation than I thought.

After 2 runs at Chinamans (a trail I'm real familar with) I now believe that it articulates just as well as ever and, with more body clearance, 8" longer wheel base and 35" tires, it wheels better than ever.

Couple of photo's of the articulation I'm getting. I never could have made it on this line before.
DSC00422.jpg

This is the best photo I have on the rear, but it articulates better than this photo.
RearArticulation.jpg

With the bigger tires, I have so far, broken one front axle u-joint and I damaged the inner stub. I put a used axle & hub assy in there. I had a minor wiring issue with the loom near the battery shorting out because it wasn't tied up and taped up good enough. But no other problems with it so far.

I'll be watching those axles closely to see how they hold up. I would like to make it next winter's project to do an axle swap. I hope it holds up till then.

time for a pair of Yota axles!

burntkat said:
time for a pair of Yota axles!

I thought about those. But to get the same width I would need the later model rear diff. and I don't know if there is a same width front diff. made by Toyota.

I don't want to go any wider or narrower.

So that rules out D60 because I don't want all the expense of narrowing.

So I think it's down to AMC20's, ford 9" and D44's as the best and cheapest options.

When I first saw this thread I thought "WTF is this guy thinking"....I'll shut up now...looks like it turned out pretty nice and original would be an understatement.

Last edited:
BIGWOODY said:
When I first saw this thread I thought "WTF is this guy thinking"....I'll shut up now...looks like it turned out pretty nice and original would be an understatement.

you 'n me both!

Back