• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

It's gonna fold like a
egegesub.jpg

Whew! Finally! I've spent that last three days at work reading your build thread when I had time. Your work is amazing, and your fab skills are crazy good!! Sorry if I don't know, but do you own your own business or what do you do? I have a question about your sliders. I saw you bolted them straight to the unibody frame rails, but did you go all the way through? Or just bolt in from the outside? Also, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I have family in yacolt so I'm familiar with that area and I live in Gresham by josh. Hopefully we'll get to wheel together soon! Once again, you have awesome skills and maybe sometime you could pass some knowledge my way?

Whew! Finally! I've spent that last three days at work reading your build thread when I had time. Your work is amazing, and your fab skills are crazy good!! Sorry if I don't know, but do you own your own business or what do you do? I have a question about your sliders. I saw you bolted them straight to the unibody frame rails, but did you go all the way through? Or just bolt in from the outside? Also, where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I have family in yacolt so I'm familiar with that area and I live in Gresham by josh. Hopefully we'll get to wheel together soon! Once again, you have awesome skills and maybe sometime you could pass some knowledge my way?

Thanks for the compliments. I wasn't sure if anyone actually read this or not. I'm not in business, this is all done in my free time. I grew up near Fern Prairie/Larch Mountain in, Camas. We usually do a lot of snow runs out past Yacolt in the Gifford Pinchot.

As for the sliders, the legs extending to the frame rails are attached with some self tapping bolts. They don't extend all the way through. I believe most of the strength on a slider comes from the pinch seam tie-in anyways.
See ya on the trail. :cheers:

With an upcoming trip I decided to do a little bit of maintenance on the Nail Salon the night before. With my rear suspension actually doing something, I chose to freshen up the front suspension a bit as well.

With pretty much a year of daily driving and wheeling, the Superflex joints in the front suspension desperately needed some maintenance. I pulled off all the control arms and track bar individually, and then tightened up the races and re-greased the joints. I was amazed how loose each joint was. I got about a half a turn out of each adjuster.
3875A6FA-DED0-4746-A9E8-90D209C97E00-303-0000001180F31012.jpg

Tightened up the jam nuts, gotta use the right tool for the job.
508940AA-B772-4E93-A1DC-3D05EAB52C73-303-00000011799ED1A3.jpg

I also make a habit to check all the fluids, and do a good once over of all the suspension/steering bolts before each trip. Consider it preventive maintenance for sh!t going wrong on the trail.

The following morning I made the trek up to Toutle for a snow run.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

It was great to get out again, especially back in the snow. I really didn't come back with any must have upgrades to add to the list, which was nice. Of course an Atlas and 37's would have been nice for breaking trail, I however was content with how the Nail Salon performed for what it is.

Already looking forward to getting out with the Jeep again soon. It's nice to just enjoy it for what it was built for. Get out and wheel!

Looking good. So Phase 2 of the build is officially on hold?
What was Phase2 again? :laugh:

I got a few projects in mind for the upcoming months, but honestly nothing major. I'd like to get a rear bumper built soon, and then I'm tossing around some ideas for a custom front mid arm three link.

Aside from those, the Jeep's working great. I can't justify doing a major overhaul right now. I think I'll finish out this year with it pretty much the way it is. I really want to drive it down to SierraFest this summer, wheel the Con, and party with the SC crew at Deer Valley. That's my big trip I'm shooting for this year. Moab in October is also on my radar, but we'll see as it gets closer.

After cutting the rear quarters the ass end of the Nail Salon just looked... unfinished. It bugged me, so I decided to crank out a rear bumper last weekend. Here's how the process went.

Friday I put in a few hours of work with a goal of finishing the mounting brackets. After removing the stock hitch, nut strips, and bumper I began enlarging the opening on the rear cross member.

These are the mounting brackets I came up with. Basically they slide into the opening of the rear cross member, and tie into three of the hitch bolts holes on either side. In addition to the hitch bolt they also incorporate the eight stock bumper bolts as well.

The following morning I began building off the brackets. I mocked up the main tube to see how far I wanted it spaced out, and then cut some 3x1.5" to tie into the main tube.

After some band saw work, I had some shackle tabs made. I make mine six inches long to extend through the main tube and also tie into the mounting brackets.

Cut out a center hole for a receiver hitch. I don't plan on towing anything, but you never know. Also, for those not aware you can buy seamless tubing for this application, 2.5" x .25".

Mocked up the main tube, receiver, and shackle tabs.

Rather than modeling it after a park bench, I chose to keep it low profile.

Too keep with the body lines, I chose to taper in the ends of the tube. Out came the protractor.

Relief cuts made.

Apply heat.

Bend the ends in, and tack them in place.

Taking shape.

With the ends bent inward, I also chose to taper them upward as well. Marked out my cut lines.

Before.

After.

Capped the ends.

With the main tube portion pretty much done, I began working on some slider tubes for the trimmed quarters. Back to the band saw. This can also easily be done with a grinder and cut off wheel too.

Angles cut, and end capped.

Tacked in place. Yes there is a small step between the transition from slider to main tube. This wasn't part of the plan and just kind of happened. I forgot my slider material was 1.5" and not 2". However, if you look back to my front bumper build, I also have a step transition on it as well, so at least they match. If I ever get denied on an obstacle because of the step, I'll ramp it.

Spaced them out a bit for some protection. Between the sliders and JCR's it's going to be worry free going through the tight sections of trails.

Final project for the bumper was making up some filler pieces for under the tail lights/quarter guards. Some 10 gauge cut to size worked perfectly.

Coming together.

Even though the bumper is held on with 14 bolts, it's still mounted to sheet metal. I chose to make a sandwich plate for the bottom of the frame rails for some extra support. It's basically a big ass washer.

With everything fitting right, and tacked in place, it was time to burn it all home.

Picture of how the mounting brackets all tie together. I figure this should up my tow rating a few K's.

After welding I had a bit of grinding to do to get everything blended.

Last step was paint. I only got a coat of primer on, so I'll have to yank it off on the next sunny weekend to get some satin black on it.

Guess I can cross another project off the to-do list. Now it's time to wheel!

I appreciate the time spent to document the Fabrication process.. This thread has opened my eyes to alot of small things that i can save a dime on! My first attempt will be the Torxfab DIY Shackle relocation brackets.. Quite a Niffty idea!

Damn fine job Dustin, as per usual.
Question.......
Are the side (quarter) protection bars tied into the frame rail/unibody at all?
Or is their only mounting point back at the bumper?
I have planned to do something very similar to my existing bumper, but at the end of the quarter guards, make a lateral tie-in to the frame/unibody
(similar to how alot of rock rails mount to the frame/unibody)
I say this because my train of thought is...... if I were to come down and smack that, there may be a good deal of force wanting to push that bar upwards, and if the only point its tied into anything is at the bumper, it may have a harder time bending up into the rear quarter panel if there was another tie in point.
What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
Nice lookin bumper, I plan on building something very similar with tire carrier.
I debated on adding a tire carrier into the design, but in the end I didn't want a massive tire hanging off my bumper full time. There's plenty of times on the trail where I'm having to back up to where my hatch is inches away from a tree. This would be difficult with a tire on the outside. Also, I couldn't bring myself to lose the rear visibility. I'll end up building a tire carrier/cargo rack for the inside at some point.
I appreciate the time spent to document the Fabrication process.. This thread has opened my eyes to alot of small things that i can save a dime on! My first attempt will be the Torxfab DIY Shackle relocation brackets.. Quite a Niffty idea!
That's why I document my build. I understand a lot of people don't have the means to build their own stuff, but I take pride in being able to say I built this and that on my Jeep. $100 in material and a few days labor sure beats forking out $800 on a bumper from the Quadratec catalog.
Damn fine job Dustin, as per usual.
Question.......
Are the side (quarter) protection bars tied into the frame rail/unibody at all?
Or is their only mounting point back at the bumper?
I have planned to do something very similar to my existing bumper, but at the end of the quarter guards, make a lateral tie-in to the frame/unibody
(similar to how alot of rock rails mount to the frame/unibody)
I say this because my train of thought is...... if I were to come down and smack that, there may be a good deal of force wanting to push that bar upwards, and if the only point its tied into anything is at the bumper, it may have a harder time bending up into the rear quarter panel if there was another tie in point.
What are your thoughts on this?
I had a feeling this question would come up.

Yes, the sliders are gusseted to the main tube, not to the frame rail though. If you look at the picture with the paint you can see some .250" plate welded into the corner. I debated on adding a leg off the slider that ties into the frame, and it certainly would have helped stiffen them up, but in the end I was lazy and decided against it. I ran a similar design on JeepForceOnce, and the sliders took more side impacts off trees than vertical drops onto rocks. The departure angle on them is pretty high clearance, so they shouldn't get used too much.

Watch me prove myself wrong though. :D

I debated on adding a leg off the slider that ties into the frame, and it certainly would have helped stiffen them up, but in the end I was lazy and decided against it. I ran a similar design on JeepForceOnce, and the sliders took more side impacts off trees than vertical drops onto rocks. The departure angle on them is pretty high clearance, so they shouldn't get used too much.

Watch me prove myself wrong though. :D
Well I DID Jinx you on your winch plate, when I questioned you using 3/16"...... lol.
Also, meant to say thanks for all the great pics and the great documentation of the whole process..... I couldn't agree more.... spending $100 on materials, and a few days labor beats the hell out of the alternative. :thumbup:

Bit overdue on an update...

Sadly I really haven't had the time to work on the Jeep much since building the rear bumper. Luckily it hasn't really needed anything, and I've just been enjoying it.

Myself and a few other NWC'ers helped out at the SOLV Clean-up at TSF, April 20th. Bicycled the Nail Salon for a little bit on Waterfall.
930C3312-45DA-4670-A53E-CA5AD51E7D59-1442-000002068464D90E.jpg

Took it to Sandlake for the Sand Flea Rally in April. It's always fun bombing around the dunes.
IMG_0069.jpg

Went out to TSF again Memorial Weekend for another clubs annual run out there. Definitely got some trail miles in on that trip, FB5, Airplane Hill, Stick In the Nose, Waterfall, and all the trails in between. (photo cred to LJdude)
l.jpg

In between those trips I didn't have time to inspect the rig or work on it much. Fortunately, it's been taking the abuse like a champ. With Northwest Fest in a few days I set aside today to finally give the Nail Salon a thorough once-over / maintenance day.

Front diff has been leaking for the past few months. As long as it was leaking I knew it had oil so no big deal.
1807D1A5-0D94-4DBB-9CDD-1C85A4DE3942-5665-00000843F43C79E8.jpg

I hate dealing with RTV so I took advantage of the Poly Performance sale and ordered up a set of Lube Lockers for the diffs.
8DC7CA5C-5B21-4FD4-A9C6-88D9FB75E772-5665-00000843ECF51637.jpg

Quick inspection inside the diffs, and some fresh satin to cover up the gouges.
E724339D-6369-4C32-A190-8BF88A951DC1-5665-000008440C5406F5.jpg

The rear bumper has just had a coat of primer on it for the past few months. Today I finally yanked it back off for a proper paint job.
063611D0-421A-4CB6-A70B-5D2B6E6AA1E3-5665-0000084402DC8D6B.jpg

While rotating the tires, I didscoverd I must have bent a wheel at one point, whoops.
CD95AF8F-641A-4FD4-9162-3CF311CB1FAF-5665-00000844147EEB83.jpg

Another project that has been on the to-do list has been mud flaps. Since cutting the rear quarters my tire coverage has become minimal. Flaps at least make it appear you're trying to make an effort. Copied the design I used on JeepForceOne, and re-used my old flaps. Yank the pin, and they come right off.
9858A4B8-B3D0-48B4-AB0C-FCEA8A2C898B-5665-000008441C0A18F0.jpg

Should do the trick.
22C96C6E-DEE0-4311-A96B-75DDF5124E09-5665-00000844292ECF71.jpg

In addition to those projects, I checked the fluids, torqued the suspension, checked the alignment, greased the steering/suspension, and re-spooled the winch. I was pleased to not find anything super critical. I did find my passenger side TRE was loose, and my SYE yoke nut had backed off a bit. Not surprising, my steering is now tighter, and I no longer have drive-line noise.

The Nail Salon is ready for Naches!

Back